Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 06, 2006, 03:43 PM
Joined Jan 2006
20 Posts
Discussion
DX 6 or DX 7 ?

I am ready to commit to one of these radios. I had been holding off on the 6 hoping the next iteration was coming. Now that it's here, almost, I'm not sure. I can afford the extra $150 but it looks like that's not the whole story. The DX 6 will control either fixed wing or helis but the DX 7 comes in two versions. The literature says the difference is in the three-position toggle. So can you make a compromise and buy one for both or does this push me back to the DX 6 ? I don't think I need the increased range. Thanks for any help. Sinistral (Lefty to my friends.)
sinistral is offline Find More Posts by sinistral
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2006, 03:46 PM
Joined Apr 2006
386 Posts
get the dx7 if you have the extra cash , but with the dx6 you can get another heli with it =). i chose the latter one if you're a parkflyer
crxef9 is offline Find More Posts by crxef9
Old Nov 06, 2006, 03:49 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,468 Posts
Depends - I think the versions are the same (i could be wrong) but I don't know why their would be a difference in toggle. Maybe smooth (no ratches) for throttle....

Software is the same on both you select model type aero or heli.....so.....I didn't think they were different other than what came with the TX.

The real question is what will you be flying and can you live without a couple of things the DX6 does not have - like timer/dual rates rudder/expo on rudder...

Range you say is not an issue but the DX7 offeres a bit more on software.....more heli mixes, more model memories and a timer (big deal for me!).

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2006, 03:49 PM
Joined Jan 2006
20 Posts
Thanks but you haven't answered the question. The Dx 6 flies both planes and helis. Do you absolutely have to have two txs to fly both with the DX 7 ?
Old Nov 06, 2006, 03:53 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,468 Posts
Quote:
Software is the same on both you select model type aero or heli....
Actually I did answer the question....You can fly both with either model. The Software is the same on both models and it supports both model types............

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2006, 03:54 PM
Joined Jan 2006
20 Posts
Sorry PDA4YOU, I thought I was answering CRXEF9. This thing is fast.
Old Nov 06, 2006, 03:55 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,468 Posts
It is......that's what I figured......

What will you be flying? that will help us make up your mind for you! And as a general rule - I usually find that it is best to spend whatever you can afford on most RC equipment. As a general rule you get what you pay for...

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2006, 03:57 PM
Joined Jan 2006
20 Posts
I am working on a TREX 450 CCPM and am beginning to fly a slow stick on my way to a full-finction plane but probably would still be classed as a park flyer.
Old Nov 06, 2006, 04:00 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,468 Posts
If you are doing a heli's I would think the 5 curve mix on the DX7 would be better. For slow sticks the DX6 is certainly fine........

I would go for the dx7 but it may be a month or so....

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2006, 04:05 PM
Joined Jan 2006
20 Posts
That's okay. I'm 66 and recovering from a hip replacement. NLOL.
Old Nov 06, 2006, 04:14 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,468 Posts
YIKES! - Sorry about that...no fun........
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2006, 06:39 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,271 Posts
I think you'll like the feel of the DX7 transmitter. Definitely higher quality sticks and switches and a nicer LCD display. Switch placement is only important if you use them. 20 model memory is nice. If you use multiple wing servos or like to have other accessories on the model, then DX7 will be nicer to work with.

If a DX6 is good enough, there will probably be a bunch out there cheap once the DX7 start shipping when folks want to upgrade.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old Nov 06, 2006, 10:13 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
If you plan on ever flying helis, get the heli version. You cna still fly planes with it. The only difference tends to be the position of two top switches (heli has 2 position on right, 3 position on left) and the type of model that it defaults to. When yo ustart to setup a new model, it assumes that it will be either and airplane of a heli. Airplane Tx assuems airplane, heli Tx assumes heli.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Nov 07, 2006, 12:44 AM
FHSS won Europe hitherto
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jun 2005
428 Posts
Hi sinistral
Quote:
I'm 66 and recovering from a hip replacement.
With or without bone-cement?

I was 15 years in that business as a Rep and nurse/young surgeon-trainer and can tell you: Be carefull, especially if not cemented!

btw: which type of prothesis? With Madreporic or Titanium?

End of o.t.

All the best from Vienna, Rudy.
Rudy Vienna is offline Find More Posts by Rudy Vienna
Old Nov 07, 2006, 08:30 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
If you plan on ever flying helis, get the heli version. You cna still fly planes with it. The only difference tends to be the position of two top switches (heli has 2 position on right, 3 position on left) and the type of model that it defaults to. When yo ustart to setup a new model, it assumes that it will be either and airplane of a heli. Airplane Tx assuems airplane, heli Tx assumes heli.
And .... they usually take off the ratchet off throttle..... Don't know in this case pure speculation on my part.

Mike
RCG Plus Member