HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by questtek, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 06, 2006, 08:33 AM
Professor Joe Valencic
Lake Forest, Ca.
Joined Oct 2006
223 Posts
Discussion
Inexpensive Digital Video Camera on a Foam UFO

In a previous blog I outlined the modifications I made to turn a 5 oz. inexpensive digital camcorder (sub $30 and as low as $19 with coupons) into a lightweight, 2 oz. RC video camera with 20 minute video record capability. In this blog I show the mounting of this stripped digital video camera to a foam UFO that was designed and built by my friend Steve Z. This UFO can be made to "hover" much like a helo but can also do full 3-D stunts.

Unfortunately Steve had an electronic "flame out" on the first flight and the plane crashed...big time! I recovered the camera, cleaned off the mud and grass and mounted it to a second foam UFO. I have included a video of this first successful flight however the areal video is a bit soft, (professional term for being slightly out of focus). The soft focus was a result of the previous crash and not rechecking the focus prior to flying it again. In any case you can see the potential that these inexpensive digital video cameras can bring to the entire RC community.

To see the video from the first UFO flight:

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l3...=UFOvideo1.flv
questtek is offline Find More Posts by questtek
Last edited by questtek; Nov 06, 2006 at 08:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2006, 01:07 PM
Rc's Best Friend
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Dec 2005
433 Posts
You got plans for this one?

Too Cool! you are doing some really good stuff...got my 'eye' on ya, brother!

--C
DIALED/CHUCK is offline Find More Posts by DIALED/CHUCK
Old Nov 07, 2006, 04:02 PM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
i just posted this idea in parkflyers thread about a 5 days ago. it was in a magazine when i was at boarders. its got full photo step-by-step instuctions but i dont know if im aloud to put it on here
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans
Old Nov 07, 2006, 04:03 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
o and the other great thing is 20 min of vid and the magazine is called

MAKE: vol 7
Last edited by mecevans; Nov 07, 2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2006, 04:48 PM
Professor Joe Valencic
Lake Forest, Ca.
Joined Oct 2006
223 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I will check out the magazine. I think there may be a potential conflict on the software side to unlock the camera. I know Pure Digital requested the CVS camera hacker site to remove the Chronus Key references....which is what they did.
I do not believe there are any restrictions on modifying the hardware which is why that is my focus on this site. It its out of the box form, the camera is a bit large for most RC, expecially park flyers but with mods that cut it down to 2 oz and yet protect all the electronics it does indeed become a feasible technology.

I designed a simple mounting bracket for my SloStick and will post it later.
Old Nov 07, 2006, 04:53 PM
Professor Joe Valencic
Lake Forest, Ca.
Joined Oct 2006
223 Posts
[QUOTE=DIALED/CHUCK]You got plans for this one?

Too Cool! you are doing some really good stuff...got my 'eye' on ya, brother!

--C[/QUOTE

Chuck, thanks. There are really no plans. You just buy one uthe cheap digital video cameras, remove the plastic case and solder a few connections. You take the adhesive tape off the camera and will find 4 small screws on the back. The battery compartment just pops open and you can remove the 2 AA batteries. Save the battery cover as I did to make a cover for the front top with holes for the lens and mic. You will have to get on the "Hacker" site to find out the software "unlock". If you ready my blogs, it will provide a bit more detail as to how the hardware mods are done.

Good luck, Joe
Old Nov 07, 2006, 05:32 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
heres cover, if anyone else wants pics of article pm me your email. so we get the codes to unlock? the magazine said to go to camerahacking.com for code
Old Nov 07, 2006, 08:10 PM
Professor Joe Valencic
Lake Forest, Ca.
Joined Oct 2006
223 Posts
Yes, that is the site that I used. Joe