SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2006, 07:15 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
Discussion
HobbyZone SuperCub - Tell Me About It

I have been reading great things about this plane. Tell me your experience. Should I be recommending this plane to new flyers?

Anyone have links to video?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2006, 08:17 AM
Registered Flyer
White Bear Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2006
1,113 Posts
One thing about it is it is no fun to fly in any kind of wind. And you have to sorta know what your doing when you land it to keep the prop of the ground.
FuntanaS is offline Find More Posts by FuntanaS
Old Nov 06, 2006, 08:18 AM
Registered Flyer
White Bear Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2006
1,113 Posts
Go to Horizon's website for a video.
FuntanaS is offline Find More Posts by FuntanaS
Old Nov 06, 2006, 09:39 AM
Ohio
Joined Sep 2006
14 Posts
I love this plane. Of course, it's the only R/C I've ever flown. But I would recommend it to every newbie.

As for wind, I think it does alright in 5-7 mph winds. I live in NW Ohio, so wind is a given. I've been forced to learn to fly in it....or I don't fly. It's very light and gusty winds play havoc with the SuperCub. However, a constant "breeze" of 5 mph is no problem. In fact, I like landing it into a 5-7 mph wind and watching it comedown vertically to a soft landing. My latest trick has been hand launching into a nice breeze, circling around, and bringing it back slowly to me and catching it by hand. It impresses the kids in the neighborhood.

The SuperCub is a floater. Bringing it in for a landing in no wind will have this plane floating right over your target landing area very easily. I like the easy gliding abilities because I like to fly it until the battery dies (I've gained a good amount of altitude by this time) and glide it back to my landing area. I do this every time there's little wind and I've never had it crash.

For $160 RTF delivered to the door with an extra battery included, I think it's a great deal. And, it's gentle enough for the newbie.

I crashed my SuperCub last month and repaired it with silicon adhesive-caulk and shish-kabob skewers. This added 3 oz to the battery compartment area. I'm no expert, but, I think the added weight help the flight characturistics by tweaking the CG or increasing the wing load. Whatever it is, the plane handles much better.

Here is the link to Hobbyzone's video: SuperCub
Culpable is offline Find More Posts by Culpable
Old Nov 06, 2006, 09:43 AM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592956

If you want to see the durability, check out the combat footage in post 1.

Stock CUB.... In two holes on control horns. THP1320 3S Battery. (For combat power and duration)

David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 06, 2006, 02:11 PM
Joined Nov 2006
15 Posts
Well, I do not have one of these models, but i can say that I did see one fly combat at the JR Indoor Festival and it took a beating, but still came out on top. It was one of the best combats I have ever seen and I have no bad things to say about it.
dirtdiver07 is offline Find More Posts by dirtdiver07
Old Nov 07, 2006, 05:51 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2006
91 Posts
I put some comments in this thread, check it out:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550899

I slightly disagree with those saying they don't like it flying in the wind. I enjoy flying it, it adds another challenge. I like trying to make it hover in the air, just enough thrust and elevator into the wind you can just sit there. Its durable too. A friend of mine bought one same time as me and he's hammered it a few times but it's glued back up nicely and still flies great.
eckcessive is offline Find More Posts by eckcessive
Old Nov 14, 2006, 04:53 AM
Cardington,Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
275 Posts
I saw it fly at JR festival and I love it ! It's the secong thing I want for Christmas
skychaser53 is offline Find More Posts by skychaser53