HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2007, 02:22 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Looks like you are on the right track Ecaf.
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2008, 08:08 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,005 Posts
Ive just started my new project, which will be a 30" superfly ..
6mm depron main wing..3mm depron top and bottom skins onto KF steps 50%top and 40%bottom...depth of steps a constant 10mm....propslot moved back a bit to let the cutout miss the steps.

heres the dimensions for the thing...round them to the nearest suitable size...take the angle at 45 degrees rather than 43.. the dimensions were just done guickly using sketchup
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Oct 02, 2008, 08:22 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,005 Posts
I thought i would share the build so far..

pic 1...all the depron skins and spars cut..main wing 6mm....top and bottom skins 3mm......balsa spars 1/4 x 1/2.....depron spars 6mm
pic 2... balsa spars and one depron spars are fixed.. more to go
pic 3 ..all top spars then the skin are fixed.. then do all the bottom spars and the skin..the pic shows the tip and the steps.. I will be putting some 6mm over the tips to act like an end fence to keep the vortex in..
pic 4 ... motor mount and another 3mm skin over the top centre fixed
the construct is nice and stiff... I do my laminating over a glass top table to get a nice flat finish. the rear edges of the skins are placed first on the balsa spars, then the depron is pushed down working on laminating evenly towards the leading edges.
A good idea is to make the outer skins a bit larger than needed, then trim off after fixing....if you make them exact you need to position with a lot more care to get a good result.
Last edited by davereap; Oct 04, 2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2008, 09:52 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,974 Posts
Hi Dave thanks for the PM this is a cool looking build looking forward to some videos

What about the zagi No Vids????

Regards Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old Oct 03, 2008, 10:08 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Jeff...So your the guy still flying Zagi's!..... I know your "only looking after it for a friend" who found stuck behind the junk in the back of the garage..TeHee
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Oct 03, 2008, 10:42 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,005 Posts
jeff... I am waiting on the weather to get some videos and will do the KF'd wing and this KF'd fly if its finished in time

Ive done a bit more to the built up superfly based delta..
Modded ...the fins are now vertical and simple triangles. the elevons are not cut in at the tips but are straight ended.

With the KF steps the wing looked more aggresive so the mods were to enhance this look..

Bare weight at 4 3/8oz decor weight at 5 3/8 oz ..the tape is heavier than I expected..but for the added strength and stiffness its worth it

Ive also found a great easy way to work out areas on any shaped wing using sketchup...post 43 ..here..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=920416&page=3

Working out the areas and using weights from the superfly site I can go up to AUW ..14oz at the size ive built

The motor on this knocks out 26oz thrust...so I am expecting it to go well, and perform better if I can hold the weight down.
..(check the motor jeff)..
Last edited by davereap; Oct 03, 2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2008, 02:08 PM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
jeff... I am waiting on the weather to get some videos and will do the KF'd wing and this KF'd fly if its finished in time

Modded ...the fins are now vertical and simple triangles. the elevons are not cut in at the tips but are straight ended.

With the KF steps the wing looked more aggresive so the mods were to enhance this look..

Bare weight at 4 3/8oz decor weight at 5 3/8 oz ..the tape is heavier than I expected..but for the added strength and stiffness its worth it

Ive also found a great easy way to work out areas on any shaped wing using sketchup...post 43 ..here..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=920416&page=3

Working out the areas and using weights from the superfly site I can go up to AUW ..14oz at the size ive built

The motor on this knocks out 26oz thrust...so I am expecting it to go well, and perform better if I can hold the weight down.
..(check the motor jeff)..

Hi Dave Will do, got me mesh shark glove I think that will save the old digits
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old Oct 03, 2008, 03:01 PM
metro Detroit, MI
Joined Jan 2007
193 Posts
Dave:
Is yours made from black EPP or depron?

[QUOTE=davereap]jeff... I am waiting on the weather to get some videos and will do the KF'd wing and this KF'd fly if its finished in time

arniep is offline Find More Posts by arniep
Old Oct 03, 2008, 04:15 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,005 Posts
all black depron...6mm for the main wing centre layer..then 3mm skins for the top and bottom step layers...
weight now at 8 1/4oz with motor and prop...+ another couple of ounces for the rest + battery ...looking to end up a bit heavy... oh well...

edit... all finished now...AUW with a 2200 11.1v lipo...16oz .. drops to 14oz with my 1200 lipo.. This 14oz equates to the recommended wing loading for the std.27" superfly...

A bit of extra weight shouldnt be a problem ..the thrust from my motor using a 9x5 is 26oz..

heres the construction using google sketchup..have a play with the file
Last edited by davereap; Oct 05, 2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2008, 07:11 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,005 Posts
Ive flown my modded version today.

Flying with a slightly forward COG and 4oz over the optimal weight.
The extra weight was down to a large battery @ 5 1/2oz plus the removeable undercariage which adds 2oz

All in all another keeper, smooth, fast, responsive it goes where you aim it and it glides really beter than I expected.

If I had to make a replacement, I would make it at 32-33". to aid getting the wng loading lower..

The removable UC is another success, although my home made wheels wernt up to the job, and have now been replaced. the hubs plastic, compliments of a chinese take away container, was too brittle and shattered, mind you it makes the take offs so much nicer, and it still took off even after one wheels hub broke up. Now with some strong wheels in place...see pics With the UC in place the superfly or my other kf'd wing is sitting at about 5-10 degrees nose up

pic3 shows the wire bends...I bound the parts together with dacron type fishing line, ..then bound the lot to a thin ply plate. used cyano to fix the threads..
video will come...

edit added..
edit added.....

been working the numbers.... from the superfly site there standard 27" one is at 5oz sq ft .. area 2.27 sq ft

your 33 "one at 5.4-6.2 oz sq ft .. area3.3 sq ft

My 30" with a 5 1/2oz bat + UC is at 6.43 oz sq ft but with a smaller 4oz bat and no U/C I can fly at 5.2 oz sq ft.... area 2.8 sq ft

Ive worked out that a 34" depron one ... area 3.6sq ft...using a large battery and U/C can come in at about the correct weight to get close to the 5oz sq ft mark..So I know what the next build will be..
Last edited by davereap; Oct 10, 2008 at 05:04 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2008, 08:29 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,005 Posts
Flown at 6oz sq ft today for some videoing..
A really great flight today.... being critical, my very very slow high alpha is wobbly, it is controllable, but can be seen visible oscilating. I am sure this is due to the much smaller vertical fins I am using, and so is easily sorted if I can be bothered. Above these speeds slow-high the beast is great. Fast, responsive, rolls quick, inverted just a touch of down needed to keep level. hands off nice and steady...no problems at all.
And the UC is working great as well..no sign of it coming loose..

motor from overlander...
http://www.overlander.co.uk/products...id=82&pid=2581

prop 9x5 gws... battery 11.1v rhino, from BRC in the UK.. 9gm servos...hitec rec....20A esc..

RC Delta KFm4 (7 min 46 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Oct 10, 2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 05:50 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,005 Posts
Just trying to work some numbers for the next modification for the built up superfly..

27"....1.77 sqft ...11.2oz....6.3ozsqft...the real thing..

30"....2.8 sqft......18oz with UC...6.4 ozsqft....built up (airframe 4.5oz)

34"....3.6 sqft......?? all assumes.a max of +2oz for the extra foam.....5.5 ozsqft..

36" ....4.03 sqft .............................4.9 ozsqft

38" ....4.5 sqft ...............................4.4 ozsqft

what to build/
Last edited by davereap; Oct 14, 2008 at 06:01 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 07:53 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,727 Posts
Megafly would be cool. How big can you go?
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Oct 14, 2008, 01:38 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,005 Posts
I have started the 38" version today. I have cut and stuck the top and bottom step layers on and shaped the leading edge, also the prop slot is cut out.
This version is being made with three 6mm depron layers. Each step is raised with 1/4" x1/2 balsa, so with the depron each step will be 12mm depth. At its deepest point the wing is 30mm thick..
I have not been 100% acurate with my step position..It is correct at the root, but I have brought the steps slightly forward at the tips to move them slightly away from the elevons...I have had trouble before with steps too close to the elevons, so I will play safe.
I have also moved the prop slot even further to the rear... on my 30" verson with the slot moved back a bit I was still having problems with getting the COG back far enough. I only just managed to get it good, but I still felt that it could have gone back some more.
I believe that the KF steps like a more rearward COG
With the narrower band behind the slot, and the large elevons to put on, I think it will need a bit of extra strength here..so maybe a bit of CF to stiffen it up

.....the weight at this time is 5+5/8oz My aim is to only be a couple of ounces heavier with this version than the 30" version. I can save a bit by not decorating this one quite as much..If I can keep the weight down I will be able to use the same motor again, but be flying at a much lower wing loading.
More floaty..
I am also trying to keep the shapes, elevons and fins, scaled and shaped as per the original superfly, so I can better compare their flying ability
Last edited by davereap; Oct 14, 2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 01:41 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,005 Posts
here are the dimensions and some pics
Last edited by davereap; Oct 14, 2008 at 01:54 PM.