HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2006, 08:34 PM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Discussion
You know it's been a good day of flying when...

...Your last landing is a soft touch down on your skids
...You walked away with a fully functional helicopter

Some pics from NYC...

You know the funniest things happen when we're flying...We were at our "secret" flying field when I turn around I see this tall guy wielding $6k worth of digital camera equipment quietly watching us fly. He goes on to introduce himself to us after one of our landings (something non heli people don't do - they just yap away like you can talk and fly at the same time).

Tabbytab and his partner own aerial photography company and were in NYC on a project photographing a site for a new hotel getting built in midtown...He's the *first guy Fade and I have *ever met that knew anything about helicopters, and the 30 minutes we spent with him picking his brain on this and that and nothing in particular were worth months of posting on forums etc...He even helped Fade trim out his TREX and offered a bunch of helpful pointers on training...it's amazing how just the smallest tweaks can turn the impossible into absolutely manageable tasks.

Anyway - we got to talking about the some of the equipment he runs...A Joker MK3 (or something like that), that's some sort of GPS heading hold system...he can basically set a bunch of waypoints, then hit the big red button labelled "FLY" while his partner takes over controlling the camera to get their footage...The system can fly completely unattended as it's tricked out with barometric pressure altimeters and again that GPS heading hold system...we're talking like $20k worth of gear...

Seriously - we get to play with the coolest toys...

Tabb, if you happen to read this - thanks again for your help and it was a pleasure meeting you.

enjoy the photos...
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mochaboy; Nov 06, 2006 at 09:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2006, 09:51 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,506 Posts
Wow, that is seriously cool! Love that shot of the XL against the trees.

Hey, speaking of that, there is something wrong with your trees up there in NYC. The leaves are all funny colors. Down here in TX, they just stay on the tree till they fall off. What's up with that?

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Nov 05, 2006, 10:47 PM
Angering mobs since 1980.
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2001
2,929 Posts
Your trees are always dead 'cause it's so hot and dry Chris!

/me flees....

--
Mike N
Twmaster is offline Find More Posts by Twmaster
Old Nov 05, 2006, 10:49 PM
Angering mobs since 1980.
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2001
2,929 Posts
Oh, duh. Sorry Mocha....

Really nice shots. Sounds like a good time.

--
Mike N
Twmaster is offline Find More Posts by Twmaster
Old Nov 06, 2006, 02:41 AM
#include <crashkit.h>
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
unfortunately the pics i took of mochaboy's maxir don't do it justice...

mochaboy, hopefully next time i'll be able to get some nice clear ones, unlike all the blurry ones you had to ditch!
fadetoblack is offline Find More Posts by fadetoblack
Old Nov 06, 2006, 09:40 AM
Radd Graduate '06
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris
Wow, that is seriously cool! Love that shot of the XL against the trees.

Hey, speaking of that, there is something wrong with your trees up there in NYC. The leaves are all funny colors. Down here in TX, they just stay on the tree till they fall off. What's up with that?

-Chris
Probably the same stuff that constitutes that caustic haze that envelopes NYC during the summer - I think it's ironic that that same caustic haze is what gives the sunsets over here their dramatic red tints.

Besides, I never could trust air I couldn't see
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2006, 10:55 AM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
Hehe, Mochaboy,

Tabbytabb hails from near me (I haven't met him yet, I hope to at some point, he used to fly with the BarnOwls which is the club I just joined).

Here's his business website: www.nwaerialphotography.com (there are some neat vids there, in fact the flying with the birds vid is taken outside the hangar that the BarnOwls fly in ).

BTW, here's a link to his profile so that you can PM him with a thankyou: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=15795 Edit: When you get some free time, do a search of threads he started and look at the 360deg panorama photos, really cool stuff .

-Kai
Kai_Shiden is offline Find More Posts by Kai_Shiden
Last edited by Kai_Shiden; Nov 06, 2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:50 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
Hey Mochaboy,

Just thought you would like to know, I bumped into tabbytabb at a local park yesterday, he saw my Maxir and started saying "I was out at a job site in New York..." and I completed the story for him, LOL.

I pointed him to this thread, I don't believe he peruses the MicroHeli subforum here at RCG anymore. I think he only has Mini's and larger, much much larger (he was telling me about his 12cell Joker setup, dang that's huge ).

-Kai
Old Mar 19, 2007, 02:40 PM
Radd Graduate '06
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Lol yeah, he just got around to responding to the PM I sent him like 4 months ago

He sent me a link to the virtual panoramas he and his partner were contracted to make.

This is what he was there to do for the day

<edit: link removed as requested>

So random!!! Wish he could see my flying now
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mochaboy; Mar 19, 2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 03:41 PM
Syracuse N.Y.
Joined Jun 2006
226 Posts
That picture is completely amazing!!!! I didn't realize how big Central Park is... It looks like an area of the city was perfectely cut out and replaced with a scene from up here in Central New York!!! It's odd that you can be only 4 hrs away from some place so well known as NYC, and know so little about it...

Mike
ticey is offline Find More Posts by ticey
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:30 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
You may have had to take down the one of Central Park, but here's a few threads with Panos from his previous work:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513845
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507468
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515815
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551229

Sorry about not putting descriptors on those links, those were just the quick google links that came up.

With those you can play "Where's Tabby" and find him with his TX next to his truck in them.

-Kai
Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:36 PM
21st Century Space Cowboy
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
Now I'm curious - why take down the Central Park pic (I didn't see it anyhow)

Thanks,
Tach.
TachyonDriver is offline Find More Posts by TachyonDriver
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:30 PM
2 Maxir SE's
Greenfield, WI
Joined Jan 2006
227 Posts
Wow Mochaboy,

I dont know if you know it or not, but Truthunter is moving back to New York in May. I will show him this thread. Really cool what happened to you!
John
hovermode is offline Find More Posts by hovermode
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:32 PM
Radd Graduate '06
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TachyonDriver
Now I'm curious - why take down the Central Park pic (I didn't see it anyhow)

Thanks,
Tach.
Tabb's clients hadn't approved the pictures for public release...From a business standpoint, it can be construed as the equivalent of releasing proprietary information.

There weren't any tradesecrets being revealed (except maybe a sighting of the TREX SE V3) but just the same, he asked me to hold off posting it until he gets clearance

Wacky news about Truthhunter Hopefully by the time he moves down I'll have something worth showing him (getting better every day though!)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:36 AM
21st Century Space Cowboy
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
Ah - curiosity satisfied. Thanks Mocha!
TachyonDriver is offline Find More Posts by TachyonDriver