Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 05, 2006, 05:48 PM
Joined Nov 2006
5 Posts
Help!
How Do You Get These Darn Gas Rc's To Go !!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so I am totally new to this. I got a gas RC for my son for his birthday, and we can't get the darn thing to go. I have everything hooked up as needed, I have a glow plug ignighter, etc. I am doing everything that it says in the manual, and from what I can see everything that I can find on line. It is almost like the engine isn't "catching" .... I am past the frustrated point with this thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sue
suzeybq is offline Find More Posts by suzeybq
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2006, 08:32 PM
Canada, QC, Brossard
Joined Jun 2006
367 Posts
what model do you have ??? monster truck, buggie, race car ????
what is the engine starting system??
which company??: traxxas, hpi, ofna, team associated ???
you dont give me a lot of information but you need to know if theres some gas
that goes in the carb. check the glow plug, if the little steel wire get red when you
put the glow igniter on it. if you have gas and a good glow plug the next step is to
check the adjustement screw on the carb. i dont know what kind of engine you have
but normaly theres 3 adjustement on the carb. check the idle opening gap by removing the air filter, it should be around 1.5 mm. for the low and high speed
adjustement screw, check in your manuel and make the adjustement. crank the
engine. if the engine crank but dont start close the high and
low speed screw about 1/4 of a turn and crank the engine again. let me know if
the engine still refuse to start. be sure that your engine is not flood, be sure to
use the right plug number and the right gas ( 20% nitro ) should be good.

good luck!
bentech is offline Find More Posts by bentech
Old Nov 05, 2006, 10:08 PM
Joined Nov 2006
5 Posts
This is the info from the web site where we got the truck. In the manual that came with it it says it has a 18cxp engine ???

I really cant find much more info regarding make, etc. in the book.

HSM Tyranasourus Monster Truck w/ Start Kit

Specifications
Length : 400mm( 14")
Width : 310mm (12")
Height : 185mm( 7.4")
Wheelbase : 275mm (11")
Round Clearance: 30mm
Gear Ratio: 14.3:1
Engine : .18 CXP Engine
Diameter of Wheel: 120 * 60 mm
Thread : 150 mm

Racing Features
3 Step Exhaust Reducer
Over Loading Protector
Strengthen Rod on Shockproof drive shaft
Crashworthy Spring for from bumper
8-pcs Super-long Suspension
6 port shocks
Easily to refuel and go, no need to stop the engine
Double bonded tank, wont break!
Old Nov 06, 2006, 12:09 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2002
404 Posts
1st off welcome to the world of RC, it's a lot of fun once you learn the basics. You have a bit of a challenge ahead of you mainly because your truck is an off brand. Now this may not be a bad thing, what you will run into though is a difficult time finding parts, or getting support for the truck. Now with that being said lets see what we can do to get you up and going. I can see in the pictures I have found the truck is a pull start. From what your describing it sounds like your one way bearing is slipping when you pull the pull start, so the engine isn't turning over. The simple solution here is pull the engine out (don't worry it's really not that scary) CAREFULLY remove the pull starter housing by removing the 3 or 4 screws holding the black pull start case on the engine. When you start to pull it off take a peek inside (when it is about 1/8th of an inch away) Now make sure the spring inside isn't trying to pop out, I don't know exactly how it comes apart so you will just need to take your time here. Once you get it cracked open though it should be pretty straight forward. Now then you have your pull start off your going to want to pull off the backing plate. This is the plate the pull start bolted onto, it should be attached with 4 screws. Remove them and viola your in the crank case of your engine. Inside you will see some sort of device that allows the pull start and crank to mechanicaly connect. This is going to be your one way bearing. You want to clean it with either RC fuel or WD40, or even rubbing alcohol. Then simply reassemble the engine and put it back on the truck. You will see when you are putting the engine back in the truck there will be adjustment slots in the chassis to set the gear mesh. The easiest way to set the gear mech is to slide a small peice of computer paper between the gear on the engine, and the gear on the truck (the one on the trucks transmission. Just an FYI the one on the engine is called the Clutch Bell, the one on the truck is called the Spur Gear) slide the engine so that it is snug. With the paper in place go ahead and tighten the engine bolts back up. Remove the paper and your gear mesh should be perfect. There should be a little bit of slop in the gear mesh if it is set right. I know this sounds like a lot but it's really not bad, I can go through this whole thing on my T-Maxx in less than 20 minutes. Now if it still won't fire make sure your getting fuel to the carb. Step one remove the fuel line, lower the end below the level of the fuel tank, make sure some fuel is running out. This insures your fuel line is flowing freely. Now put it back on the carb. Right where you connected the fuel line there is a brass tube with a slotted screw inside of it. You need this to be set pretty rich for break in, probably around 3 turns out. So SLOWLY turn it all the way in until it just bottoms out. DO NOT TIGHTEN THE NEEDLE IT WILL RUIN IT! When you feel it bottom out back it out 3 turns. Now since you have done all this you might as well check your glow plug as well. Remove the glow plug from the engine (you can use a 5/16 socket or nut driver to remove it) make sure you don't loose the copper gasket below the glow plug. Clip your glow starter on the glow plug just like you would if it was in the truck. Make sure the coils inside the glow plug are glowing orange. If it is red or not glowing replace the battery in your glow starter. I recommend if you have not done so go to the hobby store and buy a rechargable glow ignitorl. They are about $20 with the charger and last a LOT longer than using standard batteries. You will fight a glow starter with standard batteries, trust me. If your glow plug still does not glow after changing batteries you need a new glow plug, I recommend O'Donnell if your hobby shop has them, if not go for OS or MCcoy glow plugs, they range in price from $4.00 to about $7.00 depending on your local hobby shop. Now once your glow plug is glowing reinstall it, put your glow ignitor on the glow plug and your ready to fire your truck up. First we need to get some fuel to the engine by priming it. Place your finger over the exhaust outlet and pull your pull starter 2 or 3 times. This will get fuel to your engine. The with short (do NOT pull the pull starter to the end of it's length, you will break the string or spring) quick pulls start trying to start it up. It is going to be a little difficult because it is on break in settings. If you can sneak your wifes hair dryer out and warm the engine up a bit first it can help. If not just be patient. Sometimes during break in you have to leave the glow starter on the engine until it is completley warmed up. Now have fun, follow your instructions for break in and enjoy the hobby! If you need any help with your truck you can give me a call (I would say email me but I will be away from my computer for a couple weeks) my number is 541-905-2565 please if you get frustrated with the truck call me I can help you out, I have been in the hobby for 15 years now and have delt with pretty much everything!

Remember when you start getting mad at it, just walk away for 10 minutes. It will be waiting for you when you get back!

Jason
gear-head is offline Find More Posts by gear-head
Old Nov 06, 2006, 08:24 AM
Joined Nov 2006
5 Posts
Thanks Jason.
I have printed everything out, and I hope to sit down with the RC today while kids are in school. If not today I will fiddle with it tomorrow.
Sue
Old Nov 06, 2006, 10:11 AM
Joined Jun 2002
404 Posts
Good deal, like I said if you have any problems feel free to give me a call!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:30 PM
just one person!
utah
Joined May 2005
59 Posts
do what gear-head says! he knows what to do very well! i have been told to the same thing buy people who know what to do with the nitro engines...and i now have my ofna running great! but i have a problem that i cant figure out and it has been getting me for a while....the one way bearing on my engine keeps falling apart on the inside and i dont know why. i have asked some of my buddies and they have no idea why eather! i have up graded my engine from a pull start to a roto start because my pull start cable and spring kept breaking and i would have to take the pull start off and replace them. then i found a roto start and that was great for the first couple of days! then my one way bearing started skipping and i couldnt figure it out, so i took of the back plate of the roto start because i thought that the gears in it were skipping or stripped, they were not the problem so i took off the one way bearing and little peaces started falling out into the table! so i bought a new one way bearing and the same thing happend about 3 or 4 days later and ever sence the same thing has happend. i have bought about 20 one way bearings and then one of my friends suggested that it might be my battery but i dont know for sure so when i get my replacement parts we are going to try and put the shaft in a drill the same way that he starts his heli and i thought that would be a good idea! so i am hoping that my parts are going to be here soon!
Gorge Spencer is offline Find More Posts by Gorge Spencer
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:37 PM
Joined Nov 2006
5 Posts
We got the truck to go !!!! Only to run it for about 15 mins and have a rock get inside and break a bunch of teeth of one of the gears. I hope to hit the hobby shop tomorrow. Thanks for all the help so far.
Sue
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:50 PM
just one person!
utah
Joined May 2005
59 Posts
no problem anything to help thats what we're here for!
Gorge Spencer is offline Find More Posts by Gorge Spencer
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:30 AM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
good work gear.. see helped her from probably 1000miles away
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Nov 16, 2006, 08:37 PM
Joined Jun 2002
404 Posts
Glad to hear you got the monster running sue!!! I sure hope your hobby shop can help you out, one thing to keep in mind is you do have an off brand RC. So your going to want to keep an open mind for parts, look for parts that you think are going to work, see if they will fit. I have used Traxxas parts on HPI's, HPI parts on Duratrax, and so on. Spur gears are somewhat universal as long as the gear pitch matches. I am going to guess your monster has a 32 pitch spur gear and probably around 72 teeth or so. If you have a digital camera snap a picture and post it, if you need I can let you know what other parts may fit.

Gorge,

Sounds like what your fighting is flooding, I am guessing this based on broken pull strings and 1 way bearings. When your engine floods it does whats called hydrolocking. This is where your engine fills up with fuel, when you try to crank it over the engine is trying to compress the fluid in the engine (this is the "hydro part) liquids will not compress. This is the reason they are used in hydrolics. Anyway when you crank it over the piston locks agains the fuel in the engine (the "locking part") in this situation something has to give. To start with the weak link was your string, then you upgraded to the rotostart effectivley making the weak link your one way bearing. What I would suggest you try is if you notice your engine is having a hard time starting pull the glow plug out, turn the car upside down and crank it over. This will blow excessive fuel out of the engine. Reinstall the glow plug and it should fire right up. Let me know if that helps, also ofna engines are notorious for having high compression when they are new, heating with a hair dryer will help loosen the engine a great deal! it will loosen up when it is completely broken in (break in occurs even after the break in proccess is completed). As for your pull starts they can easily be rebuilt, if you have several laying around it is nice to have a couple spares in your RC box. Let me know if you want them rebuilt, I would be more than happy to rebuild them for the cost of shipping. If you'd like you can give me a call about that at the number listed above.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 05:05 PM
Joined Oct 2006
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeybq
Okay, so I am totally new to this. I got a gas RC for my son for his birthday, and we can't get the darn thing to go. I have everything hooked up as needed, I have a glow plug ignighter, etc. I am doing everything that it says in the manual, and from what I can see everything that I can find on line. It is almost like the engine isn't "catching" .... I am past the frustrated point with this thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sue

I had this problem... If that doesnt work (What GearHead Said) check out the thread below...the one i started when oi had the same problem.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581319
Euphoria is offline Find More Posts by Euphoria