Old Nov 04, 2006, 04:34 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,761 Posts
Build Log
T&J Models Waco YMF-5

Hi All,

I've been working on the plans for this little Bipe for quite a while. I wanted to push the limits of my design capability and leverage the power of laser cutting. What I hope to come up with is a cute, 1/12 scale Bipe that while it has a lot of parts to put together, it is still easy to assemble. To that end the fuselage is built on a removable crutch, all of the stringer notches are cut into the formers, There is a jig to help with the top wing allignment, and the wing has a laser cut spar. There is still a lot of custom building like laminated wing tips, and tail surface outlines, but nothing that is beyond a typical builder.

Specs:
Wing Span: 30"
Length: 22.3"
AUW: Less than 16 oz.
Power: Small Outrunner on 3S TP1320 LiPos

Here are the wings under construction....

Enjoy!

Jim
T&J Models
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2006, 05:04 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
Hi Jim

Well, it looks like its going to be a beautiful airplane. However, have you considered that one of the reasons that there may not be a lot of interest in this thread is the 35" version that Dumas is planning on releasing soon? There may not be all that many modelers who really want a Waco YMF-5 (OK, I'm going to have to get one of these kits) and well, I hate to say it, but your timing could have been a little better.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Nov 12, 2006, 07:51 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,761 Posts
Hi Sam,

Yeah, I know. I started drawing this last summer before I knew Pat had his going. By the time I came across Pat's, I had too much time into the plans to stop. I'll conceed that there is probably not enough of a market for two similar kits of this planes. Anyway, I'm having fun building and I think I've got a few cool features that other may be interested in.

-Jim
Old Nov 12, 2006, 08:44 AM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
Jim,

I like your scale rib spacing and various scale-like structural details. Very nice. the cross-grained 1/32 balsa formers are innovative thinking.

Surely it's not going to weigh 16 ounces with that kind of attention to lightness - I reckon 11 or 12 ounces at most, even with an enormous 1320 3s battery. Still, you will be able to fly all day with it...
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Nov 13, 2006, 05:38 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,761 Posts
Hi,

The weather wasn't very conducive to flying over the weekend, so I got the landing gear soldered up and the wing struts in place. The upper wing jig I came up with worked pretty well to hold it in position well I bent the wires to fit. The L.G. is 1/16" music wire, and the wing struts are 1/32". Both will be faired in with balsa and ply before covering.

-Jim
Old Nov 13, 2006, 07:30 AM
fnpaulie1
Joined Dec 2005
575 Posts
Well I typically would go with a slightly larger plane myself, however a 30" Bipe would be right up my alley these days. Your progress looks really good on your prototype. I have watched this thread since the start, I've just been waiting for the release of the kit. Looking at your website regularly to see if it's moved from the drawing board to available. Anyhow, when you have some kits available, I'd love one to build. Please send me a message re: availability.
Thanks Jim,
Paul
fnpaulie1 is offline Find More Posts by fnpaulie1
Last edited by fnpaulie1; Nov 13, 2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:39 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,761 Posts
Hi Paul,

Since this one is pretty involved as far as the laser cutting is involvbed, I'm not sure if I'll try to have it published as a construction article. So, just stay tuned for the flight report. As soon as it flies, I'll have kits.

-Jim
Old Dec 29, 2006, 03:47 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,761 Posts
More progress

Hi All,

I've got the week off and got some more done on my little Waco. The wheel pants were laser cut from 1/8" balsa. 4 layers are laminated together to make the starting point. A few minutes with a sanding block and they are almost ready to mount. A piece of 1/16" balsa was sandwiched in between the 1/16" music wire landing gear. A little more balsa block carved to shape fairs the wheel pants and the landing gear.

-Jim
Old Dec 29, 2006, 03:53 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,761 Posts
Next, I got the aluminum torque rod in place for the ailerons. This is similar to my other designs and has proven quite rigid, light, and durable. Lots of sticks were used to flesh out the belly. Magnets will hold the bottom wing in place.

-Jim
Old Dec 29, 2006, 03:55 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,761 Posts
Tail feather progress

I've got the tail feathers hinged. I'm using small strap hinges I made from light aluminum sheet. I need to get some tiny screws to hold them in place.

-Jim
Old Dec 29, 2006, 03:58 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,761 Posts
Struts

The struts are made from 1/32" music wire and I'm sandwiching them between 1/32" balsa. I used a hammer to lightly embed the wire into one side and then glued on the other.

Enjoy!

Happy New Year!

Jim
T&J Models
Old Dec 29, 2006, 04:43 PM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
Lovely work. Is that bamboo I see in the tailplane? I love bamboo, such a useful material.
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress