HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2006, 03:49 PM
Joined Sep 2006
502 Posts
Discussion
Need help charging NiMH with Deans female with charger with Tamiya male connector

I have the EasyStar RTF which came with the CG-207 NiCd/NiMH charger. The charger has a Tamiya male connector head, the NiCd battery in the EasyStar has a Tamiya female. No problem there.

However, I want to get a GWS E-Starter soon and starting using Deans connectors in all my other (future) planes. Since I'm still pretty fresh at all this, I want to stick with NiMH batteries rather than jump to Lipo for now. So the dilemma comes when trying to charge the new battery with a Deans female connector with the current charger with the Tamiya connector. I can't find an adapter with a Tamiya female and Deans Ultra male.

The other option is to change the connectors on the charger to Deans, but then I'd also have to change the connectors on the EasyStar ESC and battery as well, which is a lot of trouble. I also don't want to buy a new charger just for the E-starter. Any suggestions?
DaveInLA is offline Find More Posts by DaveInLA
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2006, 04:00 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/mai...5&pgid=adapter

Forget about standardiziing... just pick the best high current connector and make or buy adapters
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Nov 04, 2006, 04:10 PM
Battery Junkie
Athens, GA
Joined Apr 2004
1,265 Posts
Ditch the Tamiya connector. They are notorious for high resistance and even fail to make a good connection once they have been used some.

If you think changing a few connectors is a lot of trouble, you had better get out of electrics.
wrenwright is offline Find More Posts by wrenwright
Old Nov 04, 2006, 04:34 PM
Joined Sep 2006
502 Posts
I guess I have to either make my own adapter like that website above, or change all my connectors. I'd rather keep that charger stock.
DaveInLA is offline Find More Posts by DaveInLA
Old Nov 04, 2006, 05:25 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
standardizing on deans ultra now will save a lot of hassle in the future. I agree, ditch the tamiyas.. Deans will take you to 200 amps and above.. Pretty much all you'll ever need
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Nov 05, 2006, 12:30 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,146 Posts
Ditch the Tamyias now or later but you will change them.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Nov 05, 2006, 08:32 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Standardize. It will make life easier over time. I use Deans for over 15 amps, Deans Micro for under (usually used at 10 amps or less).

And if it wasn't for some foamies, I would probalby just use Deans for everything. I just hate to add that extra few grams.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone