SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 04, 2006, 02:44 PM
Permanently Banned
Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2004
1,188 Posts
Discussion
spektrum radio...gliches and cutouts

I just came back from the balloon fiesta field here in Albuquerque and some guy flying spektrum crashed his airplane because of a radio glitch. I have my 30 size heli and a 100mph twin jet on that radio and im starting to doubt is reliability. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? Any inputs whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.
Marc
kogibankole is offline Find More Posts by kogibankole
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2006, 03:31 PM
Serg
Rostov-on-Don, Russia
Joined Apr 2005
247 Posts
I sold my 72MHz transmitter and switched to 2.4GHz completely. I have been using my "spectrumized" JR6102 and Spectrum receivers in two planes and 3 helicopters since February. I have not had any problems whatsoever (neither in a park nor at flying field).

Sergey
Serg is offline Find More Posts by Serg
Old Nov 04, 2006, 03:51 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,302 Posts
we have several club members using them at our field...and we are "prone to Hits" on several freq's and not one Spektrum has had a glitch....

I have changed freq several times with my Hitech optic6 looking for a good freq...

I even had to go to a PCM rcvr to ensure my heli was fairly safe after getting "Hit" several times.

I can't wait for Hitec to come with a 2.4 or higher module....

Mike
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Nov 04, 2006, 06:01 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,396 Posts
I will no longer fly anything more expensive than a "parkflier" style of model with my 6102DX. Marc, check out this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588918 This was after many totally glitch free flights. This particular flight, I had a couple of moments where I felt the heli was responding late then after approx 5 minutes, total shutdown of the AR-6000.
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Nov 04, 2006, 11:22 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
I've not gotten any troubles. I have 4 helis (Swift, 2 Trex'es, & minizoom), all use Spektrum
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Nov 05, 2006, 01:32 AM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
This has been said before, but it sounds like it needs to be said again.

This is like wearing wrapping your computer in a condom to protect it from viruses.

A spread spectrum transmitter does not protect you from giltches (wideband interference).
All it does is prevent you from being interfered with by a transmitter on a single frequency (narrowband interference).

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Nov 05, 2006, 02:41 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
That's a good way to put it .

It may require some good grounding. I had belt static which interferes the Spektrum once. Grounding the boom worked fine for me: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+with+spektrum

Thanh
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Nov 05, 2006, 10:38 AM
Joined Apr 2006
386 Posts
DX7

and for those still with the 72mhz , try the berg 7 rx . way better than pcm
crxef9 is offline Find More Posts by crxef9
Old Nov 05, 2006, 01:40 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2006
83 Posts
I had a couple of crashes before that caused by AR-6000 cutoff. But all of them was due to the BEC voltage drop below 4V (AR-6000 will shutdown if voltage is below 4V, it will usually come back on again when voltage goes above 4V afterwards, but sometimes it doesn't, probably due to voltage cascade too much and hang the software.). All problems solved after given up on the Phoenix built-in BEC, and replaced by a switched mode BEC.
macbrush is offline Find More Posts by macbrush
Old Nov 05, 2006, 03:29 PM
Permanently Banned
Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2004
1,188 Posts
what bec do you use?...thanhTran???
Old Nov 05, 2006, 06:11 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,396 Posts
my shutdown was most likely not caused by low voltage. I was using a freshly charged relatively new NiMH 5cell 1500mah battery. I am thinking that mine was more from noise being generated by the helicopter itself but that is pure spectulation.
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Nov 05, 2006, 06:20 PM
Permanently Banned
Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2004
1,188 Posts
cptsoopy...how many digitals were you usinga dnd uring what part of a manuver did this occur?