Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 03, 2006, 09:05 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Discussion
3D Hobby Shop 47" Katana

I don't generally start threads, but figured I'd take the time to show some photos of the latest model I've been flying. The model is a 47.5" 350 watt Katana from 3D Hobby Shop. It is the first of their new line of mid-sized electric models. Mine came in at just under 38 oz, and on over 430 squares, it flies very light and 3D's really nicely. Here are a couple of static shots...

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2006, 09:12 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
A couple of the nicer touches that really make the model a great value are the carbon landing gear and pre-formed fiberglass wheel pants. The gear legs are slightly flexible, which really helps to absorb the bumps, but plenty strong for grass and dirt. The wheel pants have a very unique attachment method. A slot is molded into the pant that accepts the landing gear leg perfectly, so no additional screws are required to hold the leg straight...

Scott
Old Nov 03, 2006, 09:18 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
I've been flying a bunch of the mid-sized electric models and several have had problems keeping the canopies on. The Katana uses a different method while still using magnets. Basically, the magnets are set on two different axis', with one being vertical on a tab and the other flat on the canopy. The canopy snaps really firmly into place, and after bunches of snaps, high speed KE, and tumbles, its held tight. Very cool design.

Scott
Old Nov 03, 2006, 09:21 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
The aileron and elevator servos are mounted externally, while the rudder servo is mounted internally with a pull/pull system. I've got HS-65's on the ailerons and HS-65MG's on the tail. Here's another shot of the landing gear attachment as well.

Scott
Old Nov 03, 2006, 09:26 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
The airplane is designed around the current breed of 300+ watt outrunner and 1800-2500 20C 3S Li-Poly batteries. The motor mount is completely prebuilt, so no gluing required there at all. I chose the recommended Extreme Flight Torque outrunner and ESC. The firewall mount worked perfectly and has held up really well. It is a really clean install. Great power from the Torque. Highly recommended. At my altitude I'm getting over 360 watts on a 13x6.5 APC-e

Scott
Old Nov 03, 2006, 09:29 PM
California
Joined Feb 2005
1,519 Posts
Good looking Katana. The slot in the wheel pant makes putting this one together even faster.
freddy warbird is offline Find More Posts by freddy warbird
Old Nov 03, 2006, 09:30 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
This photo doesn't show it all that well, but the tail surfaces are built from 1/4" thick balsa, so no additional bracing is required. The elevator halves are joined with a really stiff joiner rod that is pre-bent. The slots are also pre-drilled in the tail, so no measuring or drilling. The Katana uses CA hinges, and those slots are precut as well. Very simple assembly...

Scott
Old Nov 03, 2006, 09:35 PM
I need more ceiling!!!
Okinawa, Japan
Joined May 2006
2,206 Posts
Have you had a chance to fly the Yak also, Scott? Or just the Katana so far?
sting35 is offline Find More Posts by sting35
Old Nov 03, 2006, 09:35 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Other niceties include a carbon joiner rod, prebent tailwheel assembly, and two thumbsrew per panel wing retention. The model I'm flying has metal hardware there, but I'm told the production version will have nylon. Other changes to the final model are:

Landing gear mount stiffener added (although I've had no problem with this one)

Pull-pull control horn slot pre-cut

Tail-mount for rudder servo added and linkage included for more CG flexibility.

Receiver-mount added to fuse former.

Velcro and velcro strap for battery hold-down added.

Scott
Old Nov 03, 2006, 09:36 PM
California
Joined Feb 2005
1,519 Posts
Are the main wing fillet's built up balsa/ sheeted?
freddy warbird is offline Find More Posts by freddy warbird
Old Nov 03, 2006, 09:38 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting35
Have you had a chance to fly the Yak also, Scott? Or just the Katana so far?
Just the Katana so far, but I hope to get a chance to fly the Yak soon. I'm really, really impressed with this model, and as many know, I see a lot of models. Quality is second to none, and many of the changes that the 3D Hobby Shop crew have made are really cool and unique.

Scott
Old Nov 03, 2006, 09:40 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy warbird
Are the main wing fillet's built up balsa/ sheeted?
Yep. And they have the same tapered increase in thickness that the full-scale one has, so it isn't just a tapered trailing edge like most of the models use. This one looks really scale.

Scott
Old Nov 03, 2006, 10:44 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx
Yep. And they have the same tapered increase in thickness that the full-scale one has, so it isn't just a tapered trailing edge like most of the models use. This one looks really scale.

Scott
Is there a full size katana or do you mean the big rc one? I had no idea that there was one, other than the Dymond trainer. I would really like to see some pictures of it!

This is a sweet looking model either way!!! Good job guys!
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Nov 03, 2006, 11:01 PM
Hawaii
Joined Jun 2002
294 Posts
Looks like a very nice model. I preordered mine a couple of days ago and looking forward to getting it.
sukhoi26mx do you think the metal servos are needed in the tail? I have some hs 65 already but not the metal gears.
Dugman is offline Find More Posts by Dugman
Old Nov 03, 2006, 11:16 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
In our testing, we have not had problems with the Karbonite 65's...except in crashes. The MG 65's will survive basically anything short of a nuclear blast.

Nice photography, Scott!
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor