HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2006, 07:07 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,489 Posts
Discussion
Blu-87 - a FFF JU-87 Stuka

This is a JU-87 Stuka based on Gene Bond's Blu-51cd Mustang.

It follows the ideas in Jerbear's Simple FFF Corsair thread to make the gull wings.

I suggest leaving the skin on, rounding the leading edges and tempering the wings with a heat gun. Build the wing strong since you'll no doubt be dive-bombing with this plane. Taping ailerons and elevator on with a single layer of packing tape. Hot glue for everything except the control horns. The horizontal stabilizer would be one piece. Attach one of the elevators, glue the stabilizer in place, then attach the other elevator and glue a *bucks coffee stirrer across the elevators ( remove the blue-skin where the stirrer contacts the foam ) Also as Glen (GPW) has suggested, it would be good to add some washout to avoid tip stalls.

Build information on the Blu-51cd and Jearbear's FFF Corsair apply to this plane as well.

Wingspan: 34.25"
Length: 29"

Other build notes:
o the included dihedral jigs do not put in enough angle - I rebent by heating the hot-glue and bending via the TLAR method
o sand the leading edges to remove the square corners
o lightly temper frame with heat gun for more strength
o start landing gear with bend where gear meets the wing and bends upward on the innder gull wing, then work your way out
o landing gears are attached as described in Gene Bond's DC-3/C-47 build
o take time to ensure the gears are straight up-and-down - they look really bad if on any angle
o tail wheel is moved back from scale position in order to make it steerable via the rudder
o leading edge of wing-tips are bent lower than the trailing edge, creating a bit of washout to minimize tip stalls

o tested on and flies great with a GWS gwblm001 (2050KV) brushless and a GWS 8060 slowflyer prop w/2 cell 1300 lipo.
o also flies well with the blue-wonder on an 8060. The GWS 2050 was a bit better, but that motor did burn up. I don't know at this point exactly why, but I'll be looking into it.
o the wings need to be very stiff - I replaced the original skewer with a "big-honkin'" piece of carbon tube. That made all the difference in the world.

Pilot and gunner print in post 55
Video in the Electric Videos thread. Video in this post too
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Last edited by kdahlhaus; Feb 01, 2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: linked to video
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2006, 07:28 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,060 Posts
Thanks !!!! We will enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .... a little washout will help prevent tip stalls on those "pointy wingtips "...
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Nov 03, 2006, 07:42 AM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Absolutely toooo cool. Gotta have me one of those. Almost broke down and got the big Guillows balsa rubber powered Stuka kit last couple of weeks. Been killing me walking by it at the hobby shop, now I can have one that flies r/c!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Gene.
Don McGill is offline Find More Posts by Don McGill
Old Nov 03, 2006, 11:43 PM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
I am curious as to how many turns and what guage wire you used for the motor on this one Gene.
Old Nov 04, 2006, 04:40 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,489 Posts
Lakota,

It's great to see some interest in the plane. I'd love to see pics of your build when it's done. Don't forget the $5 Hobby-Lobby bomb-drop mechanism.

I've not built the plane yet, but on a similar plane I used a a 15 turn / 25 gauge CDR from www.westport-design.com that worked well. The Blue-51cd , on which this is based, uses a 15t/24g GBv motor.

PS: Just to avoid confusion, this is a derivation of Gene's P-51, but I'm not him and he "did not approve this message."
Old Nov 04, 2006, 06:59 AM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdahlhaus
Lakota,
PS: Just to avoid confusion, this is a derivation of Gene's P-51, but I'm not him and he "did not approve this message."
kdahlhaus, sorry about that. Yesterday was a day of confusion all around for me. Guess I must have just registered Gene did it by the look of the plans and having seen his name given as a credit on them when I printed them and had a quick glance. Sorry, hope you can take it as a compliment that I made the mistake, I'm a huge fan of Gene's design work. Am very impressed with this one you did, shall start it in hopefully a week.
Old Nov 04, 2006, 10:22 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,489 Posts
No problem at all. I'm a fan as well. His P-51 and the C-47 are some of the best FFF planes out there.
Old Nov 04, 2006, 10:41 PM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
I feel pretty confident I can assemble this except for one piece. You have a piece beside the front wheel with word "strutt" marked on it, not sure where that would go?
Old Nov 04, 2006, 10:43 PM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Eww, ok embarassed now, guess that is the elevator for tail. I get it now.
Old Nov 05, 2006, 06:02 AM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
I don't remember where I got this one from, but.......

Hey Don - I couldn't send it to ya last night - your server bounced me back saying the file size was too big?

BRad
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx
Old Jan 05, 2007, 09:59 PM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Can't resist this build. Luv the gullwings! kdahlhaus, was not sure but I thought your intention was probably just the outer ailerons, was not sure, so I figured easier to change from longer aileron to shorter than the other way around if need be. Probably should have asked, but the mood hit me and I got started spur of the moment.
Old Jan 06, 2007, 05:28 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,489 Posts
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. Was going to look at the threads on Jerbear's simple corsair for info on ailerons. A servo for each wing was the most recommended solution.

Looks great so far - keep us posted. I'm hoping to return to building/flying next month.

I'm quite curious about how you'll use that butterscotch pudding in the build. Spackle or thinned as a base coat? Hmmm....

K
Last edited by kdahlhaus; Jan 06, 2007 at 05:34 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2007, 07:19 AM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
Don: Those ailerons won't work that way - they will bind with that "crank" in them. Hinged surfaces need to be straight.

Glad to see you back

Brad
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx
Old Jan 06, 2007, 08:04 AM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,460 Posts
You could salvage it and use the inner parts as flaps though.
im-sad is offline Find More Posts by im-sad
Old Jan 06, 2007, 08:09 AM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arx_n_sparx
Don: Those ailerons won't work that way - they will bind with that "crank" in them. Hinged surfaces need to be straight.

Glad to see you back

Brad
Brad, How are you? Hope you had a great holiday, I've got a week layoff yet, so build time right now. I was worried about the bend as well. Even without the bend I was kind of concerned about the width of aileron for strength. The angle is very slight and seems possible...maybe. I am considering hinging at either end only on each aileron, no hinge in center to prevent bind and doing a chiffon/watered down minwax glass job for strength on wing and aileron instead of skewer brace. Never done any glassing, but you have talked about is some with me in past, so am considering. What do you think?

kdahlhaus, chocolat pudding there too. Going to water them down to airbrush a nice camo paint scheme....just teasing. Got too many builds on the go, this one is on the kitchen table as breakfast nook and bedroom workbench are already taken, lol.