SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2001, 09:14 AM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Green Lane PA USA
Joined Mar 2001
2,167 Posts
Hydrogen Fuel Cells On the Way!!

It wont be long now!!! This is from an article on Lycos news today.
http://ise.fhg.de/
To power more energy-hungry laptops or Camcorders, Fraunhofer built hydrogen-powered fuel cell systems that fit right into the battery slot of the devices. Fuel cells convert hydrogen and oxygen into energy, where the only byproduct is water. For example, the Sony camcorder is powered by a miniature fuel cell with a performance capability of 10 watts at 8 volts, Hebling said.

Hydrogen is stored in a little cigar-shaped metal container, which holds about 20 to 30 liters of hydrogen.

"This is enough to power a 30-watt laptop computer for about one to two hours," Hebling said.

A larger container at the bottom of a laptop computer could hold much more hydrogen, enough to be sufficient for more than 10 hours of operating time, according to Hebling. The container is filled with a metallic powder ("Nano powder"), whose consistency is like meal. Hydrogen is absorbed by the surface of the powder.

But are these fuel cells economically viable?

"In mass production, fuel cells are already competitive with rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, because they are also high-price technologies," Hebling said. He estimates that metal-hydride containers will be available for about $30 –- much cheaper than the $200 for rechargeable batteries. "What’s missing is a clever distribution method for hydrogen. Why not sell or replace it like soda (dispensers) at gas stations?"

JasonJ is offline Find More Posts by JasonJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2001, 09:33 AM
Electrics rule
Bielefeld, Germany
Joined Jun 2000
437 Posts
The link you posted does not work?

See: http://www.mh.ttu.ee/risto/rc/fuelcell/

Risto
risto is offline Find More Posts by risto
Old Jul 10, 2001, 09:53 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,470 Posts
Laptops are kids stuff !

If you were able to go down to our (Adam Opel AG) engineering workshops this afternoon you would see a very nice fuel cell powered Opel Zafira 7-Seat Minivan called 'HydroGen1'.

It just came back from breaking 15 international records at the General Motors Proving Ground in Mesa AZ including 1000 km at an average of 90 kmh.

You betcha, fuel cells are on the way in !
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Jul 10, 2001, 11:17 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,869 Posts
So, if the by product is water, does that mean you get a wet lap when using your laptop?

Or does it just steam gently? Could prove unsettling for your fellow travellers in an airplane!
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Jul 10, 2001, 11:33 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,550 Posts
dave:
airline regs don't allow compressed gases to be carried aboard. Have to load the cells as cargo. You ought to look at the full list of restriced articles eg mercury thermometers, christmas crackers, aerosols, nail varish remover, magnetic materials etc
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jul 10, 2001, 04:25 PM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Green Lane PA USA
Joined Mar 2001
2,167 Posts
If they only new the fire or explosive potential of laptop Cells I am sure they would not let you carry laptops and cell phones.
As far as the water goes, the article said there was an evaporator. I suppose thats one word to describe your 1 GHz processor .
Fuel cell powered cars is very cool, but so is the light weight prospect of flying RC!

[This message has been edited by JasonJ (edited 07-10-2001).]
JasonJ is offline Find More Posts by JasonJ
Old Jul 11, 2001, 01:07 AM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
994 Posts
Can we utilize the hydrogen to also fill the wing for bouyancy to have a near weightless airplane?
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Old Jul 11, 2001, 01:14 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2000
324 Posts
Not compressed.
Mikey_Flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey_Flies
Old Jul 11, 2001, 03:22 AM
Somewhere in England
Joined Apr 2001
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveSawers:
So, if the by product is water, does that mean you get a wet lap when using your laptop?

Or does it just steam gently? Could prove unsettling for your fellow travellers in an airplane!
Hey, you could iron your trousers while you use it!

cwatters is offline Find More Posts by cwatters
Old Mar 30, 2008, 09:08 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,152 Posts
Have you guys seen this?
http://news-service.stanford.edu/new...re-010908.html
whilrybird is offline Find More Posts by whilrybird
Old Mar 30, 2008, 09:25 PM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Quote:
In mass production, fuel cells are already competitive with rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, because they are also high-price technologies," Hebling said. He estimates that metal-hydride containers will be available for about $30 –- much cheaper than the $200 for rechargeable batteries. "What’s missing is a clever distribution method for hydrogen. Why not sell or replace it like soda (dispensers) at gas stations?"
That is just not true. I actually run into a guy from time to time who works on fuel cells for cars and he readily admits that they are not economically feasible at all now. And there are hydrogen fuel stations already around in California but still without vast grants or prototype projects the power systems are exhorbitantly expensive. It's not just the infrastructure that isn't the reason it's ubiquitous, whether we talk cars or small devices.

Fuel cells continue to not be a mass produced tech because they are very, very expensive.
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Mar 30, 2008, 09:39 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,892 Posts
I work in the fuel cell industry and it will be a long time before there is consumer products at a reasoneable price and easy to use. The 99% pure hydrogen used for fuel cell is neither cheap or easy to get in small quantity
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:31 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,243 Posts
Uhuhhh Cheques in the mail too

Post here when you get... your... "cell" up and running in your own toy plane.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:38 PM
Got H2? Fuel Cell R/C Car
United States, TX, Del Rio
Joined Mar 2004
2,520 Posts
Fuel cells are cool... I know because I own one (check my blog). But the problem is getting the fuel. Currently, to separate H20 requires so much fuel, it'd be easier to just to run a car on that. Or at least is my limited understanding. I just play with my fuel cell, and know its cost a lot to get more fuel.. lol.
Keith43221 is offline Find More Posts by Keith43221
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:53 PM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,642 Posts
Is anybody aware they are replying to a 7 year old thread? Technology has changed quite a bit, especially for lipos in that time period.
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth