SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2006, 12:09 PM
Reno
Joined Oct 2006
4 Posts
Discussion
First Time Owner in Reno Again: What about the Nirvana II

What do we think about the Nirvana II in comparison to the Laser? I really like the laser but there are two things holding me back:

1. Price point makes it difficult to start a fleet.
2. Can't get over the no jib design.

Concerns with the Nirvana:
1. Size and ability to handle various weather conditions.
2. Ease of portability.
3. Size and growth rate of the fleet.

Let me know what you think. Has anyone sailed both?
Jimwashington is offline Find More Posts by Jimwashington
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2006, 12:23 AM
The BA
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
I have a Nirvana II and it's great. It has a detachable keel and it's not hard to break down the mast. It sails well in both light and heavy wind. I also looked at the Laser, but wanted something more big-boat like and found the price and availability of the Laser discouraging.

My only problem with the Nirvana is with the stock electronics (twitching and weak servos). I suggest you get the pro version (around $100) and outfit it with custom electronics. Others here can chime in on the best choice of electronics.

I can't comment on the fleet issue, but that seems to be an issue with a lot of the more recent and interesting models on the market.

A good source of information on both boats is: http://sailrc.com/
GoLikeaFish is offline Find More Posts by GoLikeaFish
Old Nov 05, 2006, 04:51 AM
Joined Nov 2006
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLikeaFish
I have a Nirvana II and it's great. It has a detachable keel and it's not hard to break down the mast. It sails well in both light and heavy wind. I also looked at the Laser, but wanted something more big-boat like and found the price and availability of the Laser discouraging.

My only problem with the Nirvana is with the stock electronics (twitching and weak servos). I suggest you get the pro version (around $100) and outfit it with custom electronics. Others here can chime in on the best choice of electronics.

I can't comment on the fleet issue, but that seems to be an issue with a lot of the more recent and interesting models on the market.

A good source of information on both boats is: http://sailrc.com/
I must agree with "Fish." The Nirvana electronics are not going to last if you do a frequent amount of sailing and I sail for a few hours at a time about 3 days a week.

Get the "pro" version for slightly over 100 USD and you can add some good quality Hitec or Futaba electronics and the Nirvana will sao; like a charm. Another good point is that adding your own electronics with the pro version will not cost you any more (or very little more) than buying the RTR version.

The Nirvana often gets a bum rap due to her electronics but the desgn of the boat, the mylar composite sails, carbon fiber masts and spars and clean frunctional layout of the rigging are all good to great. She balances beautifully in the water and her upswept stern and weight slightly aft gives her less a tendency to turn into a U-boat on the downwind runs.

The same guy (Jon Emaleh) who desiigned the Laser also designed the Nirvana.

If you do decide to go with the Nirvana I would recommend purchasing the boat through Mr. Lang's website (the one "Fish" lists above) becuase you not only get the best price available but because you then get password access to his "Tips" section for all the little and easy ways (that won't cost you any money) to really trick out the boat and get her performing top notch.

My winter project is working on a V-32 kit (another 32" sailboat) which is a more traditional looking sailboat and my first kit build. The Vic is a beautiful boat but I bet when all is said and done that the more modern hull design and larger sail area (sq. inches) of the Nirvana willl probably enable her to be the faster boat.

It will be interesting to find out! ~TC
Templus_Catticus is offline Find More Posts by Templus_Catticus