Jack, do you remember a plane called a HI-JACK. what was the wing span ? Fred
Fred Cotten is offline Find More Posts by Fred Cotten
Old Feb 03, 2007, 03:12 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Off to Maiden...

Finally, a decent day. Winds NW at 8, 49 degrees. I'll post again when I get home...

Jack Womack

By the way, I remember a model called a Sky-Jack built by Jack Hamilton of Dallas. I believe he won the nats in 81 or 82 with it. He still has it and if I remember correctly, it's a 100"er....
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 03, 2007, 03:24 PM
Europe - Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
1,521 Posts
Hi Jack, you keep us in tension deliberated ?
Jurgen.
Jurgen is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen
Old Feb 03, 2007, 07:15 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Finally

OK, here goes... wouldn't be right to keep Jurgen in suspense...

I have mine set up about 8mm behind the recommended cg. Ailerons up 5/16 and down 5/32. Tow hook 10 degrees in front of cg point on wing chord line. Rudder 25 degrees each way, not mixed with ailerons. Flaps +5 degrees for launch, and +3 degrees for thermal. Flaps and ailerons - 4 degrees for reflex. Flaps to +75 degrees on crow, with ailerons to +15 degrees on crow... yes down not up. Stabilator to 10 degrees down at full crow.

The setup is excellent for this model, but... It needs the cg moved forward just slightly. I need to get a transmitter that will allow me to more precicely control the trailing edge... but that's not the glider's fault. I actually like the sailplane quite a lot, and would probably buy another one knowing what I now know. It's one of the most beautiful sailplanes in the air I've ever seen. The MH-32 does like to have the speed up, though, so you need to keep the nose down.

I flew it 4 times, and really enjoyed it. It's a strong-day sailplane, though. Mine came out at 10 oz. per sq. ft., considerably heavier than advertised. My high start had no trouble giving me 500' launches, with not too much stretch. With the wind from the east or west, I don't have as much field to work with when it's from the north or south. I wasn't pulling much at all, maybe 12 lbs. With a touch of flap, it was fine and though it climbed slowly, it never stalled. It has pretty good legs, and I did one 360 degree roll and a loop. Control authority is good and the roll rate is slightly better than my real sailplane...

Could it be better? Yes. definitely. Was it worth $600-? Yes, definitely. Will I keep it? Yes, definitely. Will I take the covering off the wings and lighten it? Probably. Will I lose the chincy tips and make some real winglets? Oh Yeah! Will I get a better transmitter? I'll get back to you on that one.... The minister of finance is saying... NO...

Seriously, I like it pretty well and will fly it as my full-house ship for some time to come.

Enjoy... I got mine at Soaring USA. I'd recommend them, too... but get a good transmitter... not an Eclipse 7...

Jack Womack
Last edited by schrederman; Feb 03, 2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2007, 07:59 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
By the way, yes I'm in New Mexico. but that IS a Houston Hawks hat I'm wearing...

JW
Old Feb 03, 2007, 08:27 PM
Europe - Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
1,521 Posts
Thanks Jack. I think for an 90oz. AUW one get it electrified (without the 7.2oz lead you have now) with decent power (lipo's & brushless). Hmm, tempting for when flytime is short to lay out lines or too cold or lazy.

I saw its predecessor (dragonfly pro) fly today on a winch, good spar strenght there so yours must be even stronger on spar, but how about resistance to torsion forces?

Please keep us informed when more flights deliver more handling facts.
Jurgen.
Jurgen is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen
Old Feb 03, 2007, 09:41 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
By the way, yes I'm in New Mexico. but that IS a Houston Hawks hat I'm wearing...

JW

Jack is Past President, Builder Extrodinaire, and Connoiseur of fine Jack Daniels. And sometimes he calls me "Grasshopper".

Get yer butt down here and fly with us!

AJ

President,
Houston Hawks RC Soaring
solo6796 is offline Find More Posts by solo6796
Old Feb 03, 2007, 11:20 PM
PITTSBURGH
Joined Jul 2002
126 Posts
Jack
You got the same one I got! Mines been ready to fly for 2 months. Today would have been a great day in "The Burg" to test fly. 7 degrees with a -15 wind chill. Now if they would only get the Christmas light display off our field.
Edg
Freezin' in Pittsburgh
raceredg is online now Find More Posts by raceredg
Old Feb 03, 2007, 11:27 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Jurgen,

Torsion strength seems good on mine. The ailerons definitely don't twist the wing. I can't twist them noticably by hand. Spar and joiner almost seem like overkill.

Alan... I'd LOVE to come back down there. My next move is either to Albuquerque or to Ft. Worth. I miss all of you guys...

Jack
Old Feb 03, 2007, 11:34 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Jack Daniels

Ah yes... never forget... If I had taken Delores' name instead of her taking mine... I'd BE Jack Daniels... ... Gotta keep it in the family... nothin' like a good Gentleman Jack and Coke...

Jack Daniels... er... Womack
Old Feb 04, 2007, 08:02 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Gents,

Sum it up for me. From my brousing the the thread it seems that everyone likes this plane. Full pedal launches, high zooms and good handling in the air.

Looks like a good advanced sport ship or an entry level contest ship for US style thermal duration contests.

Would that be accurate?

Any downside?

I am trying to compile a list of advance sport, or entry level contest gliders in the price range up to about $700 for the plane, less electronics. Good choices for someone stepping up from a 2M or 3M R/E like a Bird of Time.

Seems this one should be on the list.

By contrast the regular Dragonfly seems to be more popular as an electric and the little I have read about it as a pure glider as been so-so.

The Dragonfly Strong seems to have a .... strong following.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 04, 2007, 11:06 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
I believe you nailed it... I see no real downsides. Price is good, and she performs well. I'm sure as I fly it more, I'll sharpen my rusty full-house flying skills. I'll probably like it more and more. However Iwould never consider it a full-blown competition model. A GREAT starter for full-house, though.

JW
Old Feb 04, 2007, 11:23 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Full blow competition models are beyond most people's budgets. $1200 Supras are nice but if you have the money and need to win.

However, enjoy flying competition you can get into a good flying plane, like the Dragonfly Strong for half the price and feel you can fly well in the competition.

Winning is not the only objective of competition flying. For me it is a great way to make friends, build skills and have fun. I don't need a Sharon, an Icon or the like to do that. Yet I can advance my skills and perhaps place high enough to know I have done well.

Dragonfly strong is on that list.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 04, 2007, 12:43 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
dragonfly S flight

Beautiful ship Jack!! Good to hear your fist flights went smoothly.

Regards good radios to do the camber changing, I am sure there are a lot of used Futaba 8U's that can be had for a reasonable price. That's the only sailplane radio I have used for the last 9 yrs without any problems.

Also has anyone tried the Polk 8 Ch Tx??
Cheers
AJ
ajbhatta is offline Find More Posts by ajbhatta