HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2006, 09:06 AM
san antonio texas
Joined Oct 2004
66 Posts
hi jack. just wanted you to know in one of my birds i used hs125mg for flaps and ailerons. hs 85mg rudder and elevator. on my 2nd bird i used 125mg on flaps and 81mg on ailerons with 85mg on rudder and elevator. ever thing works great. i have made high speed runs over the field and victor rolls, loops, dives no trouble. oh by the way i am talking about the dragonfly. and i had to trim the cutouts to get them to fit. no butchering good luck........................
mike5656 is offline Find More Posts by mike5656
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2006, 06:26 PM
SOH
Buzzard Baiter
Cumberland Plateau,Tn
Joined Nov 2006
48 Posts
What kind of instructions come with a fancy setup like this? Sure would like to get it but I am afraid I might get in over my head trying to assemble it, cutting into the wings scares me to death. Sure would hate to mess it up.
By the way, SoaringUsa said they had one left and no more until the last of January.

Steve
SOH is offline Find More Posts by SOH
Old Dec 13, 2006, 07:09 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,844 Posts
Instructions? What instructions? It came with a sheet showing where everything goes, but that's all. If you've built models before, you won't have any trouble figuring it out. I'm going ahead with the larger servos on the flaps and will make my own mounts. The flaps are rather large, and I'm rather a poor pillot... so I will need all the durability I can get. If I have to trim off part of the servo mounting lugs... so what...

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:34 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
servo mounting

Hi Jack: I cut the lugs off the HS5245 digis for the flaps, and glued a small wood block to each side of the servo. I drilled a hole for the servo mounting screw in each block. I also glued 2 small ply blocks into the servo cavity, and simply screwed in the servo .I can send a pic if you like. The 5245 servos are similar in size to the 225's so they should work as well.
Regards
AJ
ajbhatta is offline Find More Posts by ajbhatta
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:42 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,844 Posts
AJ,

A couple of pics would be greatly appreciated...

JW
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:26 AM
Joined Apr 2006
243 Posts
We just taped the servos up and glued them in.
Once the bay cover is in place then they are not going anywhere.
If you need to replace a servo, just cut the tape, peel it back, insert new servo, re-tape and off you go.

Soh, there is nothing to cut. THe most difficult part is installing the connectors(assuming you are using a Hoopes type connector) and making it all straight.
Liberator is offline Find More Posts by Liberator
Old Dec 24, 2006, 02:50 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,844 Posts
I was going to use 85MGs for teh ailerons, but just got a couple of 125MGs so they'll be going into the outer wing. My 225MGs will have some 1/2" plywood mounts and all will be removable with screws.... I did my own wiring... Being a telecommunications professional, I would never be able to live down buyuing a harness... Mine should maiden on Jan 1... unless visitors eat up all my build time.

Lookin' good. I like the white/red better than my yello/red. but I'm still pretty happy with it. Thanks for posting the pic.

Jack
Old Jan 02, 2007, 06:12 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
servo mounts

Jack: my apologies for not posting those pics ont he flap servo installation. My Nikon's switch went kaput and I am having it fixed, and I had comapny over the break as well. Should be able to post ina day or two. Happy New Year to all!!
Cheers,
AJ
P.S. Liberator that is a fine looking ship!!
Old Jan 02, 2007, 09:19 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,844 Posts
A. J.

Not a problem. I have the 225s in the wing and they are a shoehorn fit... but they're in there and can be removed with screws... believe it or not. I used 1/2" 9-ply aircraft plywood for the mounts. The 125 thin wing servos on the flaps were a breeze in comparison. My holiday company just left and I have catch-up to do at work, so I'm probably a couple of weeks from maiden. I have a flap horn that had too big a hole and I'll have to fix that... seems that the alignment pins were too big for the holes in the wing and the fuselage, and my joiner is so tight, I am scared I won't be able to get the wings off each time I put them on. Does that loosen up after flying a bit, or do I need to lube it with something? I still need to balance it, figure out the radio program again, and install a tow hook. I am anxious about it... I do think it will fly nicely.

Jack
Old Jan 03, 2007, 07:54 AM
san antonio texas
Joined Oct 2004
66 Posts
jack my joiners have never got loosen. i sanded them some with a fine sandpaper but they are still real tight. so tight they pop when i pull the wings off.
mike5656 is offline Find More Posts by mike5656
Old Jan 03, 2007, 10:14 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
Dragonfly servo install

Hi Jack:

Here is a pic of the Hitec 5245 digi install in the flap servo cavity.

Regards the carbon joiner, I wet sanded using 400 grit and then smoothed out with 1500 grit. It needs a little work, but you can get a nice fit without it being too loose. Bob Breaux said that the tight fit is typical with new Valenta kits so it needs a little work. I also had the same problem with my Escape, but the sanding fixed that.
Cheers

AJ
Old Jan 16, 2007, 08:59 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,844 Posts
Almost...

I should maiden my Dragonfly this weekend. I am making a slug from the lead I need to balance her out. I'll weigh it and post what that is. My flap horn holes were too big so I am having to do something with that. I have some epoxy-glass board, and will make new ones. I'll have to melt the old ones out with a heated hobby knife blade... A bit of a bother, but I'll get over it. Those 225MGs were a real bear to get in there without just gluing them in, but I finally got there. I used 125 wing servos on the ailerons. I'll have only a 3-meter size high start to put her up with but that should suffice. Now if the weather will cooperate...

Jack Womack
Old Jan 21, 2007, 07:17 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,844 Posts
Maiden....

... NOT! Well, I ventured out... all bundled up and with high spirits... and the day was perfect. I got everything checked out and went out to the flying field. The main roads had been plowed and had deicer on them, until I got to the road out to the field. The plow had gone the 2 miles but stopped about 200 feet from the flying field gate and there was a 2' drift... that happened to be the road... leading the way. Undaunted, I knew of a church lot that was big enough in town with orientation into the wind. I had some other errands to run so I went to Wally World and Lowes and ventured back by the church. Drat... the field was torn up by 4-wheelers. I would have flown over smooth snow, but... Oh well... there's always next weekend... It should snow just about Friday...

Jack
Old Jan 21, 2007, 07:18 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,844 Posts
Oh by the way... it weighs 74.2 oz. and took 7.2 oz to balance at the aft of where the spec sheet says it should. I'll probably move the CG back a bit more to suit my flying style.

JW
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:00 PM
jacksonville fla
Joined May 2003
171 Posts
Jack, sorry to hear about the SNOW. If you will pack-up the plane and sent it to me this week-end (its going to be 70 and a light wind ) I will test fly it. If it flys good, I will sent it back to you, but if it flys bad, I will keep it and this will give you more space in your shop. He He He. Fred
Fred Cotten is offline Find More Posts by Fred Cotten