HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:55 PM
Europe - Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
1,521 Posts
Congrats !
http://www.volz-servos.de/english/english.html
You need lotta $ for Volzing your bird, but nothing beat them in their size.
This is the second time i read about an unfit part in the box, nothing dramatic but still.
Jurgen.
Jurgen is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:14 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,847 Posts
Well...

Won't be buying anymore Volz servos... WOW!!!

And by the way, the tips ain't really terrible... I'm just a perfectionist... I will be doing winglets on this one! They're already drawn in AutoCad... like I said, the wheels are turning... and burning... Servos won't be a problem.

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 17, 2006, 01:15 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
dragonfly tips

Jack:

Those tips work fine. I had one of mine accidentally break off when my wingtip caught a workbench, but I glued it back on and just used some clear wing tape for added security. I wondered too about the slight mismatch but it doesn't seem to be too serious to worry about. Make sure that the plane balances laterally. On mine one side was heavier than the other, so I stuck some thin stick-on lead on the under side if one wing tip. I now need to find a way to recess that somehow. The fuse is strong enough..I wouldn't wory about that too much. I would recommend the aft CG position (90 mm) for starters. Have fun.
Regards
AJ
ajbhatta is offline Find More Posts by ajbhatta
Old Nov 17, 2006, 03:26 PM
PITTSBURGH
Joined Jul 2002
126 Posts
Jack
I'd be interested in seeing the drawings of your winglets.
Mine should be RTF after tomorrow. Too bad I have to wait till spring.
Edg
raceredg is offline Find More Posts by raceredg
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:10 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,847 Posts
Looking further at the tips, they are really put on precariously. That's the only thing I really don't like about this model.... other than the fact that I don't have it flying yet! I am going to remove the tips and install them correctly, and have done with it for now. If I wasn't involved in too many other projects, I would go on with the winglets option... and probably will soon...

Jack
Old Nov 26, 2006, 07:14 PM
Joined Apr 2006
243 Posts
The Maiden

Well I flew my Dragonfly today 4 times.
The plane is awesome. It flies very well and I was able (even though it was no where near trimmed out) to make some decent altitude and have a very fun time.

The flap is like hitting a brick wall. On one flight I came in hot at about 30 feet and slammed the flap to full. I was down and set so fast it was amazing.

My biggest dilema is that my radio can not handle the plane. I sort of knew going in that might be a concern and sadly enough it is. So it is going on the bench until my Stylus comes in, but wow what a combination that will be. I am very excited for the upcoming contest season.

I am very happy that I made this purchase, Bob at Soaring USA was super to deal with and I will absolutely go back for my next purchase.
Liberator is offline Find More Posts by Liberator
Old Nov 27, 2006, 05:55 PM
san antonio texas
Joined Oct 2004
68 Posts
trimmed out both of my dragonflys i have 6 oz of lead in the nose with a 4 oz 1400 ma battery. = 10 oz total. and both fly great.
mike5656 is offline Find More Posts by mike5656
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:48 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,234 Posts
I am new to sailplanes.Can someone tell me how the v-tail works, as I am used to elevator and rudder on small electric planes. All I have flow so far on sailplanes is the Multi Plex Easyglider and looking to move up to the Magellan by Icare.
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Nov 28, 2006, 03:13 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
dragonfly S flight profile

Hi Guyss: I have atached the flight performance of my Dargonfly Strong from Sunday's flying sessions using a RAM2 from Soaring Circuits.
Regards
AJ
BSS, KY
ajbhatta is offline Find More Posts by ajbhatta
Old Nov 28, 2006, 05:05 PM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc
I am new to sailplanes.Can someone tell me how the v-tail works, as I am used to elevator and rudder on small electric planes. All I have flow so far on sailplanes is the Multi Plex Easyglider and looking to move up to the Magellan by Icare.
To visualize how the two surfaces on a vee tail work as a rudder, stand behind the model and imagine the two surfaces folded together until they are vertical. Now, for rudder command for left turn, both surfaces move to the left. For right turn, they both move to the right. For elevator commands, imagine both surfaces laid out flat. For up elevator, both surfaces move up, for down elevator, they move down together. To get the proper movement of your servos will require mixing, either mechanical or electronic. Most all modern transmitters will mix vee tail if it does any mixing at all or you can buy add-on mixers that go between your receiver and servos to do the mixing if you don't have a mix-capable transmitter.
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:19 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,104 Posts
The first thing to understand is that the v-tail is not a fuselage torqueing mechanism. Whatever small torque coupling it might have with the fuselage is inconsequential for our purposes. Its individual surfaces produce forces normal to the plane of the surface that sum to a resultant force that yaws or pitches the fuselage. (If this makes sense to you, either you have an engineering degree or should be granted one.) Because of this summation of forces the v-tail is very sensitive to setup and requires careful and exacting adjustment.

The above is an excert from a good artical found here

http://www.orlandobuzzards.org/vtail.htm

Go there if you really want to be confused about v-tails and how to trim them
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Dec 12, 2006, 07:53 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,847 Posts
Got my servos today. I have refit my tips and still wonder if I will go to the trouble to build winglets... looks so much better than it did, I may not. I'll start my servo installation tomorrow afternoon... in between working on repairing my Hawk and building my Yardbird...

Jack Womack
Old Dec 12, 2006, 09:29 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,847 Posts
Anyone with one of these flying, please let me know which servos you put in the wings. Someone suggested HS225-MG for flaps and they won't go in the cutouts without either butchering the glider or the servo... I'd rather not do either.

Jack
Old Dec 12, 2006, 09:45 PM
SOH
Buzzard Baiter
Cumberland Plateau,Tn
Joined Nov 2006
48 Posts
I believe you may have miss read the suggestion. Here is what he said.

HS 225MG's on rudder and elevator, 5245 digis on flap and HS125MG's for aileron

Steve
SOH is offline Find More Posts by SOH
Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:04 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,847 Posts
I think I'll just use the 85-MGs for flaps and ailerons both. I had Voltz analogs in the Incredible Spotted Chicken, but no one sells the analogs anymore... and I already have the 85s... Workin' on it...

JW