SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:28 AM
Maryland's eastern most shoreline
Joined May 2004
566 Posts
I'm flying an electric Renny 2M but it's getting harder and harder for my old eyes to see at a distance. I love the look of this glider and the size and price seem good too. Have you heard of anyone putting an electric motor in the nose of one of these? Do you think it would be doable...and more importantly...advisable?

Bob
thermal is offline Find More Posts by thermal
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:46 PM
PITTSBURGH
Joined Jul 2002
126 Posts
Jack
I plan on setting mine up without full TE camber changing. If I need to change camber I'll do it with just the flaps. I personally think the MH32 has a pretty good speed range with out changing camber. I will have a launch flap preset and a preset for 1/8" down flap for thermaling.
As for the molded rudder I'm already thinking about a builtup one. The empty fuse is a little tail heavy anyway so maybe I can save some weight.
Edg
raceredg is offline Find More Posts by raceredg
Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:50 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,940 Posts
Dragonfly Strong

Howdy:
a few answers to questions here I see...

1. The Fuse is glass with lots of kevlar, and carbon tow.

2. There is an Electric fuse for the plane, we will stock it for '07.

3. The wing hasis a end grain, shear webbed spar, like a molded wing. It is very strong, and makes a wing that will take any launch/tow you can throw at it.

We have had quite a run on these, but there are a few left...

Happy Landings,
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 11, 2006, 02:04 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,793 Posts
Set the hook! OK - I just bit... I ordered one today......

Jack Womack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 11, 2006, 02:14 PM
USA, ME, Plymouth
Joined Aug 2006
271 Posts
Way to go Jack!... Practice and bring it to the SWC (along with your RES) in February... www.CASL.net

Mike
Freakflyin is offline Find More Posts by Freakflyin
Old Nov 11, 2006, 08:51 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,793 Posts
You know, I sure hope mine is Transparent Red and White, or Transparent Orange... I'm not much on the purples and greens... I ordered 4 Hitec HS-125-MG thin wing servos, too... I hope that was the right servo for this wing. I just checked the porch... it ain't here yet!!!! I built a 2000 mah NiMh battery pack for it today, while waiting for the epoxy to cure on my Sky Bird polyhedral joint. Just have the fuselade and spoilers and finish work and she's done... What am I thinking... I have a Yardbird to build, too...
Old Nov 11, 2006, 08:57 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,793 Posts
One thing I don't understand... why is there a cutout at the base of the fin? Is there a servo there for the stab?

Jack Womack
Old Nov 11, 2006, 09:15 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
You know, I sure hope mine is Transparent Red and White, or Transparent Orange... I'm not much on the purples and greens... I ordered 4 Hitec HS-125-MG thin wing servos, too... I hope that was the right servo for this wing. I just checked the porch... it ain't here yet!!!! I built a 2000 mah NiMh battery pack for it today, while waiting for the epoxy to cure on my Sky Bird polyhedral joint. Just have the fuselade and spoilers and finish work and she's done... What am I thinking... I have a Yardbird to build, too...
Don't use those 125s on the flaps. I have 10 of them. Every one that I have used on flaps has failed. They can not tollerate any kind of ground contact. Use something else.

JR's Digital 268, I think that is the right number, have been highly recommended to me.

I have lots of Hitec servos and I am very happy with all the others but not these.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Nov 11, 2006, 09:25 PM
PITTSBURGH
Joined Jul 2002
126 Posts
Jack
The hole in the fin is so you can get to the elev. bellcrank. It comes with a matching FG hatch to cover the hole.
I'm planning to use HS 225 mgs on the flaps 125mg or 85s on the ail. and 225s in the body.
I got the rudder horn and pushrod installed today. I also cut a new servo tray for the body so it sits up higher.
You'll enjoy your Skybird if you've never flown one. I flew a flapped SB for 3 years. It was one of my favorite sailplanes in 25 years of soaring.
Edg
BTW my Dragonfly is yellow and trans red.
raceredg is offline Find More Posts by raceredg
Old Nov 12, 2006, 03:44 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,793 Posts
Well,

Hopefully I can change my order in the AM and get a pair of 225s substituted for the 125s. Thanks for the heads up. Skybird wings completed today except for spoiler bays and sanding. Fuselage is started and the tail... well, not much to that... Should be flying within 2 weeks.

I just checked the porch, and it's still not here.... how's that for showing some restraint?

Jack
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:17 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,793 Posts
Mine shipped today!!! I just went to the front porch and it still ain't there!!! They did tell me all they had left was yellow and red... should be able to see her...

Jack
Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:33 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
Dragonfly Strong

Great flying sailplane that will penetrate in 10-15 w/o balast in reflex. Mine comes in at 68 oz, with Cg at 93 mm behind LE. Rx pack is 3300 mAh NiMH from Soaring USA, so it only needed an ounce to balance at the current Cg. HS 225MG's on rudder and elevator, 5245 digis on flap and HS125MG's for aileron. Great flying and great looking sailplane. Basically a parachute on landing with those huge flaps!
AJ
BSS, KY
ajbhatta is offline Find More Posts by ajbhatta
Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:12 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,793 Posts
Thanks AJ... I really like the looks of the glider. I am rather anxious about mine getting here. I have lots of building to do and this will give me just enough flying distraction in between when the weather is bad for building. Wind, what wind? Today in CLovis NM, it's 30 to 35 and gusting to 51... Even this model might need a bit of ballast today!

I just checked the porch and it still ain't here!!! Maybe some folks need anger management... perhaps I need impatience management...

Beautiful model AJ.

Jack
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:10 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,793 Posts
Checked the shipping thingie... Mine'll be here tomorrow... while I'm at work... Delores may hide it... the anticipation is killing me...

That sounds pretty crazy from someone whose motto is "real men scratch build." Maybe I'd better get a grip... after all, it's just an ARF!

I'll post a pic or two when I get her going... along with my new Sky Bird and my old Hawks.

Jack
Old Nov 16, 2006, 06:55 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,793 Posts
Well, it's here. It took about 45 minutes to get her undressed. I am really impressed with everythig except the wingtips. They don't fit all that well. It comes fitted up for Volz servos in the wings. Who sells those? I didn't see much carbon in the fuse, but I'm sure there's some Kevlar back in there. It is aesthetically one of the most beautiful models I have ever seen. It reminds me slightly of the Aquila... on steroids... Everything is very well done, like I said, except the tips. Don't be surprised to see mine with winglets... Boy, the wheels are turnin'...

Jack