HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2008, 09:27 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
Dfly Strong

Steve: A thread was started recently in the Thermals section of liftzone.com. Mine is still holding up, had some really nice flights with it, no serious mishaps yet.
Cheers
AJ
ajbhatta is offline Find More Posts by ajbhatta
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:57 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,405 Posts
hi, just found this glider on susa, i am very interested! after reading this thread things sound really good. i was wondering tho is anyone launching with out winch.. my club has hi starts and towing. but im thinking to do justice here i may have to get the ds-e . is there any videos of this plane
thanks
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:51 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
I launched mine with a 3-meter high start lots of times. It flew nicely. I'll probably buy another one soon as a backup for my Xplorer.

JW
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:42 PM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,405 Posts
good to know thanks , i emailed bob to see if they have the Vtail version, any one who if the E model has a precut nose? if it doesnt it leaves the option for flying pure for awhile. i bet it would tow off a dolly ok?? i have rought field tho.. im at the early stages of thought on this idea i still need to build my cmp ventus hahah
mike
Old Jan 26, 2009, 08:51 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
I have been keeping my eye on a Dragonfly Strong for my first full house plane. Seems to be a very nice bird for the money. Don.
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Old Jan 26, 2009, 02:05 PM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,131 Posts
Can anyone remember the throws they set up for their flight surfaces( launch, thermal, R,E,A,F)? I've lost the sheet that has that info.

Thanks, Keith
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Jan 26, 2009, 06:14 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
Dragonfly Strong

Mike: I have launched many times with the NSP Pinnacle Hi-Start....just as Jack said,.... the one meant for the 3 meter ships. I use little or no camber and it launches very nicely. Flaps tend to slow it down too much with the hi-start.
AJ
ajbhatta is offline Find More Posts by ajbhatta
Old Jan 26, 2009, 06:38 PM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbhatta
Mike: I have launched many times with the NSP Pinnacle Hi-Start....just as Jack said,.... the one meant for the 3 meter ships. I use little or no camber and it launches very nicely. Flaps tend to slow it down too much with the hi-start.
AJ
thanks. theres hope yet! haha. got my email back from Bob and they would have to order the Vtail so i will keep the standard in mind, and since the e version is precut i have to figure out if ill go pure or not hahah an electric system for this size bird is a bank buster as is.. on side note whats the mid range servo list for this beast.. that JR package was nutty expensive.. also has anyone put an AR7000 spectrum rx in one?
mike

sorry for all the Q's but trying to get info
mike
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:45 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
The fuselage has very little carbon in it. It's definitely 2.4 friendly.

Jack
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:24 PM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,405 Posts
thanks! very good to know , i have the trusty hitec 7 but the battery dies so fast i would be able to do any real durations haha. so id rather use the dx7 and i guess a ar7000.. i am really thinking of going with the pure model now and setting up for tow and histart.. theres just something about pure glider that makes it more fun. err, and cheaper...
there not much pictures here, anyone have a pic showing the rx gear lay out and the tail set up .. thanks.. im trying to see how much room for a tow release there is.
mike
Old Jan 27, 2009, 07:52 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
NSP has the Dragonfly. Soaring USA has the Dragonfly Strong. Is there any difference? Don.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:22 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Yes, The "Strong" is stronger and has a different airfoil (MH-32 instead of SD7037), planform, and fuselage. There's more room in the Strong's fuselage and certainly enough for tow release, etc. It's a better model from what I've seen. There was a Dragonfly at Houston. I saw it fly several times. He had to be pretty careful on the winch. I should have been more careful with mine. It's advertised to take full pedal and F3J launches, but my left wing failed when I encountered a thermal on launch.

Jack
Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:22 AM
Banned
USA, NJ, Wantage
Joined Jul 2008
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper51
i have the trusty hitec 7 but the battery dies so fast
I have the same problem.
ACooper is offline Find More Posts by ACooper
Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:30 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Ok, thanks Jack. The Strong is what I want. From what I can see, they are about the same price.Don.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:56 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
Yes, The "Strong" is stronger and has a different airfoil (MH-32 instead of SD7037), planform, and fuselage. There's more room in the Strong's fuselage and certainly enough for tow release, etc. It's a better model from what I've seen. There was a Dragonfly at Houston. I saw it fly several times. He had to be pretty careful on the winch. I should have been more careful with mine. It's advertised to take full pedal and F3J launches, but my left wing failed when I encountered a thermal on launch.

Jack
Jack, I thought you had the Strong version.

From what I have read on the forums, the Dragonfly is more popular as an electric.

The Strong version seems to be more for the pure glider/winch pilots.

Just my impression of forum chatter.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr