HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2007, 07:15 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
A shame that you could get to 2400 feet and not make your time. What did the plane look like at 2400 feet? Could you make out the fuse and tail or only the wings?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:39 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
Yeah I know, but I got into some pretty huge sink when I tried to bring the sailplane up-wind. I attempted to climb again but it was a big cycle of down air.
Dave Smith of our club did get a 64 min flight in the same air...he just went the right way, and he was flying a Skybench 100" Big Bird. Put me to shame!

The sailplane is still clearly visible, in that the wings and fuse are visible. I had some reflective (Walmart automotive) tape on the wings that helped a lot. Also the white wings against a dark cloud background (source of that intense convection) helped tremendously.

Chris..we have Level I thru V achievements in the League of Silent Flight (LSF, go to www.silentflight.org). One of the tasks in Level IV involves getting either 2 one hour thermal duration (TD) flights (on different days) or 1 one hour TD flight and a 4 hour slope flight.

Pretty pathetic when you get to that altitude and fail to get that 1 hr flight...sob!!
Cheers,
AJ
ajbhatta is offline Find More Posts by ajbhatta
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:39 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
Dragonfly Flight

I forgot to mention that the altitude was measured with a Soaring Circuits RAM2 recording altimeter...was around 80 bucks when i bought it. Excellent unit!
Cheers,
AJ
Old Aug 05, 2007, 08:40 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Dfs

OK Guys.. Any new comments good or bad?? Brian
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Aug 05, 2007, 09:05 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
I won unlimited with mine in Amarillo last weekend.

Jack Womack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Aug 05, 2007, 09:08 AM
Joined Apr 2006
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith
OK Guys.. Any new comments good or bad?? Brian
I flew mine in a contest yesterday. We had a south wind at about 15 knots and the contest was 10 min duration with a runway landing.

I ended up 5th but along with the guys ahead of me being just flat out great pilots first place was a Sharon 3.5 and 2nd and third were Pikes. Fourth place was a Sailaire that Alan just stuck his landings so well with not to mention had great times. It was tough to get times in that kind of wind, but Alan in 4th got a 9 min 57 seconds and I think a 98 landing.

One thing that I learned yesterday. Make sure there is 0 and I mean 0 slop in your ailerons. I was zooming on my first launch and although the wing was solid I got one helluva flutter on the outboard tips.

The second thing was this is a pretty tough plane. I was hammering landings pretty hard and I hit 4 out of 5 landings with an average of 68 I think, and the plane held up well.

Also if you are playing with camber, this plane seems to like quite a lot of camber in thermal mode.

Good lift

Tom
Liberator is offline Find More Posts by Liberator
Old Aug 05, 2007, 10:43 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Dfs

Thanks Guys
I may be looking for one soon.. Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator
I flew mine in a contest yesterday. We had a south wind at about 15 knots and the contest was 10 min duration with a runway landing.

I ended up 5th but along with the guys ahead of me being just flat out great pilots first place was a Sharon 3.5 and 2nd and third were Pikes. Fourth place was a Sailaire that Alan just stuck his landings so well with not to mention had great times. It was tough to get times in that kind of wind, but Alan in 4th got a 9 min 57 seconds and I think a 98 landing.

One thing that I learned yesterday. Make sure there is 0 and I mean 0 slop in your ailerons. I was zooming on my first launch and although the wing was solid I got one helluva flutter on the outboard tips.

The second thing was this is a pretty tough plane. I was hammering landings pretty hard and I hit 4 out of 5 landings with an average of 68 I think, and the plane held up well.

Also if you are playing with camber, this plane seems to like quite a lot of camber in thermal mode.

Good lift

Tom
Old Aug 05, 2007, 12:14 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
Dragonfly Strong

Brian:

Flew mine yesterday, no problems getting those 10+ min flights in. I am going to attempt the 1 hr LSF task with this bird, because she can really hang. Will be switching to a 5 cell 3800 NiMH pack next time I fly.
Cheers
AJ
BSS, Lexington
Old Aug 05, 2007, 01:15 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Dfs

Howdy Friend
Sounds good.. go get um'.. Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbhatta
Brian:

Flew mine yesterday, no problems getting those 10+ min flights in. I am going to attempt the 1 hr LSF task with this bird, because she can really hang. Will be switching to a 5 cell 3800 NiMH pack next time I fly.
Cheers
AJ
BSS, Lexington
Old Aug 05, 2007, 09:09 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Brian,

Mine may be for sale, soon.

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Aug 05, 2007, 10:03 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Pm

Sent you a PM.. Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
Brian,

Mine may be for sale, soon.

Jack
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:42 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,934 Posts
Well guys, I've maidened mine, here's a photo at a slope in Co. Kerry. I've since flown her a few times, now.

Verdict: very easy to fly, stable, a real floater, not really a slope machine as she's a bit slow in terms of reacting, and has a limited ability to penetrate stronger winds. After setting her up to factory specs, I've upped all the control throws by one hole on every servo arm, which has improved things, but rolls are not her forte. A beautiful plane to watch in the sky, very easy to land.

I need to complete the alternative electric-powered fuse, then I will be able to use her more for the intended use: light-air thermalling, etc. (I have no access to winches, etc. here). I might then consider selling the pure glider fuse and unused wings, etc.

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:45 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,934 Posts
Er, the photos:
Old Aug 20, 2007, 02:56 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
Dragonfly Strong

Chris: Congrats on the maiden flight, she looks pretty. Definitely not for slope soaring , but I bet you can keep her up for a while in light sloping conditions. A little reflex (~1/16") on flaps and ailerons allows decent penetration in 10-15 mph winds.

I will attempt my 1 hr flights again with the 5 cell 3800 mAh pack I switched to. No ballast in the nose was needed and in fact I had to move the pack back a bit to get it to the same CG. Keep us posted.
Cheers
AJ
BSS, Lexington KY
Old Aug 20, 2007, 03:32 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,934 Posts
Thanks, AJ

I am using camber change on the whole trailing edge, it does work a treat, but I've been trying to fly her in much stronger winds than that. Silly, but at least I know now what the limits are!

Good luck!

Chris