HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2007, 04:34 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,958 Posts
Thanks for the comments, AJ

Tom, that's a great link - never knew such things existed (I'm a bit isolated out here in rural Ireland.............)! What a great idea!

Chris
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2007, 04:40 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,958 Posts
Oh yeah - I have another question - have any of you used the MPX 6-pin plugs as recommended, and have you fixed them into place in the wing root and the fuse so they mate only when the wings are in place? If so, is this method reliable, and compatible with the factory wing-to-fuse joining method?

Chris
who may not have "read" the "instructions" properly
Old Jun 01, 2007, 06:59 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
mpx plugs

Hi Chris:

I still use the ol' Futaba extensions and plugs, but they are a pain especially during disconnects. My Mueller Escape has the MPX 6 pin and it works very well. I am going to switch to the Deans 4 pin with a "floating" connection that can be pushed into the wing root (by slightly widening the slot). That way it would provide a little strain relief just in case it was needed.
Regards
AJ
ajbhatta is offline Find More Posts by ajbhatta
Old Jun 02, 2007, 03:39 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,958 Posts
AJ, yeah, I know what you mean about a looser arrangement. I use the MPX connectors on other 4-servo wing planes, but they are all "free" - i.e. the connections are made in the wires, the wires are then tucked away, and the wing is then mounted. The wiring connection and the wing mounting are independent systems, so a loose wing cannot affect the wiring connection. That would be my fall-back approach with this plane.

What I was curious about, is if anyone has tried gluing the connectors into fixed positions, so they mate only when the wing is mounted. I'm not sure if that is what Valenta intend, but the holes they have made in the wing root and the fuse seem to be exact fits for the MPX units, so it seems that is what they intend? The wings seem to be held on by friction only - no retaining screws or anything (if I understand the instruction sheet properly), so it seems a bit risky to me to use such a system for your wiring to the controls.

Chris
Old Jun 02, 2007, 03:41 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,958 Posts
Skids

Shoot - that link (from Tom) does not ship outside the US. Bummer .

Chris

who's gonna have to start a major search for a supplier (again)
Old Jun 02, 2007, 08:14 AM
san antonio texas
Joined Oct 2004
66 Posts
cavanscho you know about wing tape right. the wings don't stay on by just friction. glider guys use wing tape to keep the wings from sliding off the wing rod in flight.
mike5656 is offline Find More Posts by mike5656
Old Jun 02, 2007, 10:36 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,958 Posts
Mike, I have heard of it, but I must admit I haven't seen it in the flesh. Thanks for the heads-up! My other gliders use bolt-down or retaining screw systems. Anything special, or just ordinary clear tape? Any idea of a link to an international supplier perhaps?

Cheers

Chris
Who feels a bit silly
Old Jun 02, 2007, 10:47 AM
Prescott Arizona
Joined Mar 2005
890 Posts
Just simple packing tape on both the wing roots and the fuse. Join them with electrical tape, this prevents damage to both surfaces.
Bob
bobby legue is offline Find More Posts by bobby legue
Old Jun 02, 2007, 06:05 PM
san antonio texas
Joined Oct 2004
66 Posts
when you push the wing in on the wing rod to the fuselage you have joint between the fuselage and the wing that's what you tape. you run a strip of tape from the l.e. to the t.e. that covers the open joint. after flying you just pull the tape off and remove the wing. i buy electrical tape at home depo. it comes in green, white, blue, yellow, red, or black. you may order it from their web site. good luck
Old Jun 02, 2007, 06:54 PM
san antonio texas
Joined Oct 2004
66 Posts
cavanscho here's a link for the tape i use. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100069964
Old Jun 03, 2007, 08:50 AM
Joined Apr 2006
243 Posts
For the wing joiners for the electronics I used Hoopes Connectors. Tom Hoopes is in my local club and he builds these awesome connectors that when glued in will connect as you plug the wing in.
I will post some pics, but I am going on vacation for a week so it will have to wait until I get back.

I just use white electrical tape to join the wings. Put down a base first of a wide 2" clear packing tape that always stays on, then carefully cut the tape at the wing joint so you are creating a clear coating on the wing and the fuse. Then each session just join the wing then use the white electrical tape on the wing joints.

Chris, If you PM me your mailing address and send a 5 pound note I will order one for you and send it to you myself as far as the landing skeg goes.

Don't send anything until you get the skeg.

Tom
Liberator is offline Find More Posts by Liberator
Old Jun 03, 2007, 01:43 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,958 Posts
It's guys like you wot makes this forum such an incredible resource! Thanks for the valuable info! Difficult to pick up this kind of knowledge out in the sticks where I am!

I reckon that I might use the exact same taping method to stick on the wing tips for each session, seeing as the tape will be handy anyway.

CHris

who is on a steep learning curve
Old Jun 26, 2007, 01:43 PM
Lexington, KY
Joined Jul 2003
163 Posts
Weekend Dragonfly Strong flight

Hi Guys: I was attempting a LSF IV 1 hour flight this weekend in Lexington, KY but fell short. I just thought I'd share this flight profile with with you all.
Cheers
AJ
BSS, KY
ajbhatta is offline Find More Posts by ajbhatta
Old Jun 26, 2007, 04:40 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,958 Posts
Hi AJ

For the unitiated (i.e. me ), could you perhaps explain a bit more what a "LSF IV flight" means?

Tanks

Chris
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:49 PM
Europe - Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
1,521 Posts
Amazing height (725 meters) , you could still see the dragonfly ok?
Jurgen.
Jurgen is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen