Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 05, 2007, 11:19 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,631 Posts
Flying slower is always nice. I have only done this mix 3 times now and the first was very interesting. From 150' up I dumped all the flaps with one of my switches allowing down aileron instead of up. Very nice feel however in real life controling the speed/penetration or ground speed more importantly in the variable conditions may be more important. What happens when the wind is up? How will this affect the planes ability to penetrate to the target and get there on time. This really is going to require lots of field testing
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2007, 01:38 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Woodie Events

Do they really quailify for woodie events? Really? Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceredg
One of the main reasons I bought the Strong is that it is legal at Woodie events, which I do several a year, none of the ones you mention are!
The other thing for me is that everybody has moldies and bagged airplanes, but how many have a full pedal, zoom launchable wood ship.
Edg
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Feb 06, 2007, 09:13 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Unfortunately, I do not believe it would qualify, as the rudder is molded with the fuselage. I don't think that or the molded wingtips are within the spirit or letter of the "Woodie" rules that I have seen.

Jack Womack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 06, 2007, 10:48 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Just put all my transmitters up for sale... gonna get me a 9C Super...

Jack
Old Feb 07, 2007, 02:17 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
xmitters

I saw em'.. "KOOL" Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
Just put all my transmitters up for sale... gonna get me a 9C Super...

Jack
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Feb 08, 2007, 10:43 AM
PARIS
Joined Dec 2004
4 Posts
Hello,
i have just finished the build of my dragonflystrong X electro, but i don't have any indication about the stabilizer incidence. Could you please help me? ( sorry for my english, i try to do my best! )
reduk is offline Find More Posts by reduk
Last edited by reduk; Feb 08, 2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2007, 07:18 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Reduk,

I set mine up on the bench with a ruler. I proped up the aft of the fuselage until the wing was perfectly level... in other words the center of the leading edge radius and the trailing edge were the exactly same distance from the table. I then measured the same thing on the stab. I worked on the linkage and radio until the trailing edge of the stab was 3/32" higher at the trailing edge than the leading edge. That gave me 1.5 degrees of positive decalage. I believe... without doing any math... that 3/32" is about 2.5mm... but I'd check that if I were you.

I hope that helps you out.

Jack Womack
Old Feb 09, 2007, 07:59 AM
PARIS
Joined Dec 2004
4 Posts
Thanks Jack, i'm going to measure 1,5 of decalage with my ROBART.
reduk is offline Find More Posts by reduk
Old Feb 09, 2007, 08:09 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Oddly, I had one laying on my bench that I won in a raffle... I did this without ever thinking about having an incidence meter... so I sold it at a swap meet. Old free-flighters never die, we just smell that way...

Let us know how she flys.

Jack
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:14 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
I specked out today flying this model. It was a bit scary. I lost it several times. It's been a while since there was any lift to work, and today started out very slowly. I am getting better at flying this creature and I increased my stab throws today, which helped me some. I also decreased the amount of positive flap for thermalling. I am still convinced that the ailerons adding lift at crow is the way to go for this one. I landed it about 10 times today and all would have been 90+. She floats in from high and low, while I modulate the large flaps and elevator. Plenty of control, even slowed way down. I've been very happy I bought this one... chincy tips and all... Started my winglets tonight... I may build new stabs...

Jack
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:17 AM
Europe - Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
1,521 Posts
Hi Jack, <-- strange to speak this out as one word

Thanks for keeping us informed. How do you describe its turning in circles, especially the thermalling kind when they occur few and soft? Is it working time or no brainer? Predictable or "spicy"? etc etc. You have many experience to compare with other gliders you have.
Jurgen.
Jurgen is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen
Old Feb 11, 2007, 08:51 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
The MH-32 seems to like the speed up at all times, but it slows down nicely when a little camber is added. Thermal turns I found were best with a touch of rudder held into the turn modulated by ailerons to keep the bank angle constant, and a lot of up elevator... so it's work time when thermalling... but worth the effort. The model climbs nicely.

Jack
Old Feb 11, 2007, 03:43 PM
Joined Apr 2006
243 Posts
I have about 10 flights on mine now and I agree with Jack. You will work with this one, but I think that makes you a better pilot. I have not had any real lift days yet, I have had one small climb out, but so far it has all be sink city.

The thing I love about this plane is it will float forever and I have made as many as 7 turns under 20 feet when coming into land. It just does not want to quit flying. I added a skeg because it wont stop sliding either.

Great plane though and super tough...except the winglets, they are not so great.

Tom
Liberator is offline Find More Posts by Liberator
Old May 29, 2007, 09:44 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,894 Posts
Hi guys

I see this thread has gone quiet. Anyone have any more news/updates?

I have just taken delivery of my D'fly Strong, electric version. I was hoping to use a 600w outrunner I have, but the nose is just too narrow, so I'll have to look at inrunners. I want to use 4 lipo cells ('cos I have 'em in stock......), does anyone have any suggestions re. power systems they have used in this plane, and any balancing issues (the "instruction" page says nothing about the electric version)?

Cheers

Chris
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old May 30, 2007, 01:21 AM
confused heli pilot
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Mar 2004
76 Posts
motor

I would go with a Medusa Motor. Made in the USA and very effecient.

http://www.medusaproducts.com/motors...50-XXXX-GB-428

Go with the 036-050-1600 kv with gear box.

According to their motor calc, with a 18x12 prop you will produce more than
105 oz of thrust at 92% eff at 40 amps. I used 50C temp with a 4s 4400mah pack on the motor calc which would give you over 6 min of wide open throttle. High quality motor with great customer service.
invrtd is offline Find More Posts by invrtd
Last edited by invrtd; May 30, 2007 at 01:31 AM.