HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2006, 11:46 PM
San Dimas, 40 km east of Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2002
1,332 Posts
Cool
Reflective tape - a good idea

The other day, I spent a long time looking for my F-80 at Temple Hill, finally found it.
I did not have a Lost Model Alarm.... I am planning to equip all my slopers with one.
In the mean time, I put reflective tapes on my F-80.
The slope at Temple is visible from the road and I can come back in the evening with a search light !.
ktoey is offline Find More Posts by ktoey
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2006, 09:57 AM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,396 Posts
cool idea, i put that stuff on my cbwing once, it makes for neat night flying haha good luck
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old Nov 02, 2006, 01:28 PM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
I like this stuff, comes on wide rolls, only trouble is it does reduce the Rx range if you use too much!
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer
Old Nov 02, 2006, 01:41 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,067 Posts
Hi tony yeah Ive use that wrap to but found it tore rather easy is that your impression too ? does look cool though blinds you with the glint off the sun
SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Nov 02, 2006, 05:55 PM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban
Hi tony yeah Ive use that wrap to but found it tore rather easy is that your impression too ? does look cool though blinds you with the glint off the sun
SteveW

Hi Steve, long time no chat, yeah it might well rip easy but I only put it on top so have only seen the tips shred a little. I sometimes find myself making turn angles just to get a good flash

Tony.
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer
Old Nov 03, 2006, 03:37 PM
easily distracted
Santa Cruz, California
Joined Oct 2006
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoey
The other day, I spent a long time looking for my F-80 at Temple Hill, finally found it.
I did not have a Lost Model Alarm.... I am planning to equip all my slopers with one.
In the mean time, I put reflective tapes on my F-80.
The slope at Temple is visible from the road and I can come back in the evening with a search light !.
Gawd recoveries on Temple Hill are a bitch! Being a novice, I had to do several recoveries on Temple Hill in the latter half of this year, and every one was sheer agony. There are no deer/animal trails on that hill! After pushing through the thistles, nettles, foxtails, and the other thorns, I was glad to reach a patch of cactus each time, just to get a little break. Once my plane ended up in a patch of cactus at the bottom of the gully about halfway down the hill. Extracting it from the cactus was the easy part! Now I am very careful to try to crash-land onto the ridge below to the left if I get in trouble, and I just walk back down to the car without a launch if the conditions seem too marginal on top. I should get a lost plane alarm too, and the reflective tape is a great idea. Once I tried to point my high beams up there, hoping to spot the plane, had to come back the next morning. Would have had a better chance with reflective tape.
iJustinHale is offline Find More Posts by iJustinHale
Old Nov 03, 2006, 03:53 PM
Push little kitty...Push!
So Cal
Joined Sep 2006
497 Posts
I got this last year at Costco, this thing will light up the hill from a mile away.
http://shopproducts.howstuffworks.co...1/PID-28110680
Mad-Man is offline Find More Posts by Mad-Man
Old Nov 03, 2006, 05:17 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJustinHale
I should get a lost plane alarm too, and the reflective tape is a great idea. Once I tried to point my high beams up there, hoping to spot the plane, had to come back the next morning. Would have had a better chance with reflective tape.

Cheap and decorative !.
Useless during the day but somewhat useful at dusk.
Now I need to develop a coded pulsed laser pointer and receiver for daylight use!
Old Nov 03, 2006, 06:24 PM
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2004
3,509 Posts
I got a better idea,

Land you planes instead of crashing them
Chief High Horse is offline Find More Posts by Chief High Horse
Old Nov 03, 2006, 10:27 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhuahua
I got a better idea,
Land you planes instead of crashing them
Like a marriage, when you throw the glider from the altar, you have every intention of bringing it back safely.... but ^&*$ happens !.

Reflective tape is like a pre-nuptual !. It gives you a second chance !.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:26 AM
Wirral. U.K
Joined Sep 2005
101 Posts
Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonsoarer
I like this stuff, comes on wide rolls, only trouble is it does reduce the Rx range if you use too much!
Tony, I'd be interested in knowing a bit more about that wing in your post. Can You supply any details.....?
Cheers...

Stu
-----Stu----- is offline Find More Posts by -----Stu-----
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:17 AM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoey
Like a marriage, when you throw the glider from the altar, you have every intention of bringing it back safely.... but ^&*$ happens !.

Reflective tape is like a pre-nuptual !. It gives you a second chance !.
Nice! Leah and I howled at your reply. Well played sir!
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
Old Nov 25, 2006, 02:06 PM
I like em strong & silent
Slope or Shed
Joined Jun 2004
529 Posts
Reflective tape

Hi
Follow link below to pic of my Fletcher which has holograhic tape on ailerons difficult to photograph but as she turns it look like a strobe light running up the wing great at long range.

http://www.f3f.co.uk/knewt/comps/wl1-06/kw0o2880.htm

Steve
Wingtech is offline Find More Posts by Wingtech
Old Nov 25, 2006, 03:02 PM
daveosoar
hampshire
Joined Mar 2006
607 Posts
Get some USCG approved retro-reflective self adhesive tape (usually 2'' wide), its used on liferafts, lifejackets at sea. If you can see it from a search plane in broad daylight you'll see your model! One flick in roll control and you have it!
Dave.
daveosoar is offline Find More Posts by daveosoar
Old Nov 25, 2006, 07:36 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Here is a source that is very reasonable and he has other great stuff too! Like carbon cutter for cutting CF rods and "The Mother of all Scissors" !!!

http://www.nyblimp.com/ss.htm

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Last edited by willin; Nov 25, 2006 at 07:37 PM. Reason: way too many spelling errors plus forgot link