SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 01, 2006, 07:25 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Discussion
Why doesn't someone make clear props?

.. that's all I have to say about that..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2006, 07:41 AM
Glow Free Since Aug, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,258 Posts
I find that if I mount my prop on something that rotates.... and then spin the prop really quickly, it gives the illusion that there's no prop there!

Tom
tommy321 is offline Find More Posts by tommy321
Old Nov 01, 2006, 07:45 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,609 Posts
Only certain plastics are clear, and they might not have the best properties for something like a prop.
Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 01, 2006, 08:00 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
Only certain plastics are clear, and they might not have the best properties for something like a prop.
Bullseye!

I imagine clear 'slow fly' props wouldn't be a problem but high performance props all have at least some fiber reinforcement in the plastic. Apparently many prop maufacturers also put a fiber content in their slow fly props too. My guess is that they do so 'cause they just know that folks like me will use them in applications which exceed their design limits.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Nov 01, 2006, 08:05 AM
Joined Apr 2006
923 Posts
They would look even less scale than they do now and would be dangerous, too. It is nice to be able to see something that might cut your finger to the bone.
Barry2 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2
Old Nov 01, 2006, 08:10 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,705 Posts
Enough guys get into props without them being invisible. Props tend to become invisible anyway when they are spinning, and I've seen guys reach through the arc to try to get to the needle valve. Not very pretty.

In the old nitro days we would paint the tips red so they would be visible. All it takes is a little bit of red and that serves as a reminder that the prop is there. If it's invisible, you just might forget. i know that sounds like you'de have to go completely stupid to forget the prop is there, but it happens all the time.

I've gotten nipped a few times and cavred up really good once, so I give a prop a lot of respect. This doesn't mean I'm immune to getting it again, but I think my odds are better now that I've got a little fear.

The old nylon props were a sort of translucent white, and those were especially infamous for disappearing. That nylon wouldn't break, and the leading edges were much sharper than wood. Lots of guys got hurt really bad with those things. On top of that, they would sling a blade every so often, and after one of two of those incidents, nylon was phased out of production......and thank God for that. After that we had Master Airscrew props, but they are so indestructable that you didn't dare get close to one of those.

I'm going to use an APC prop on my new 40 sized nitro Ultra Stick, but I'm starting to think the better of it. Those are stupidly sharp and I don't think that's a good idea for something that raps up like an OS46AX.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Nov 01, 2006, 08:17 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42
Syracuse, NY
Joined May 2005
1,616 Posts
I have several clear props. Here's a 10X4.7E.
Hugequark is offline Find More Posts by Hugequark
Old Nov 01, 2006, 08:35 AM
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,088 Posts
I actually think it's a great idea. Especially for prop-jet model applications. The examples many of you site as possibly being dangerous are valid and nobody wants anyone to get cut, but I believe many are practices used when fiddeling with gassers, i.e. messing with fuel mixtures / idle speeds... while the engines are running. The closest I come to this practice with my e-planes is to do a range check with the throttle being varied up and down while the control surfaces are being moved simultaneously while several hunderd feet from the Tx. operator. Electrics have their own hazards that gassers do not have, i.e. bumping the throttle while your Tx dangles from your neck and you attempt to connect the battery, or having brain fade and connecting the battery before the Tx is turned on. In these instances, clear or not, your going to get bit. Be careful out there. Happy flying!
Rick
RickAvery is offline Find More Posts by RickAvery
Old Nov 01, 2006, 09:00 AM
to fly or not to not fly
Hua Hin, Thailand
Joined Aug 2005
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
Pat MacKenzie
I wonder what the natural color is, then, for good ol' GWS and APC props. It seems like APC aren't dyed. What would be the natural colour be for GWS props then? (And please, no smart guy say 'orange'. You too Hugequark. )
planebane is offline Find More Posts by planebane
Old Nov 01, 2006, 09:06 AM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugequark
Don't do that to me at work!!!
bykrdan is offline Find More Posts by bykrdan
Old Nov 01, 2006, 09:35 AM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planebane
I wonder what the natural color is, then, for good ol' GWS and APC props. It seems like APC aren't dyed. What would be the natural colour be for GWS props then? (And please, no smart guy say 'orange'. You too Hugequark. )
Having worked in the Plastic industry for many years, the raw un-colored plastic "Beads" or "Pellets" are actually called "Virgin" plastic, and are basicly clear (GWS props). Nylon beads are an opaque white color (APC props).

Manufacturers then add small "colorant" beads/pellets during the initial processing to give the final product it's coloring, be it orange or grey. Any reinforcing filler would also be added at this time.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Nov 01, 2006, 09:50 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,609 Posts
I did a burn test on a broken GWS prop. Yellow flame, lots of black smoke, no dripping. Definitely no fire retardant!
If memory serves me correctly that is consistent with polypropylene.
(IIRC Nylon burns with a blue flame, not much smoke and drips)
The base PP resin is slightly milky, but some special grades can be clear. The thinner the part the more transparent it will be.
In thicker sections it is almost white.
Pat MacKenzie
P.S. At one point I was thinking of tooling my own blades for a VPP setup. I would have made them clear PP with a pearlescent additive.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 01, 2006, 10:26 AM
Glow Free Since Aug, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugequark
How do you find the amp draw is on those clear 10x4.7's?

I have the APC-E clear 12x6 prop, and I find that while the amp draw is substantially less than with the regular APC-E prop, the punch-out from a hover is also substantially less satisfying.

Tom
tommy321 is offline Find More Posts by tommy321
Old Nov 01, 2006, 10:30 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42
Syracuse, NY
Joined May 2005
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy321
How do you find the amp draw is on those clear 10x4.7's?

I have the APC-E clear 12x6 prop, and I find that while the amp draw is substantially less than with the regular APC-E prop, the punch-out from a hover is also substantially less satisfying.

Tom
Use the matching clear watt meter
Hugequark is offline Find More Posts by Hugequark
Old Nov 01, 2006, 10:31 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
.. that's all I have to say about that..
..a
We make best bright color props for keeping safe you

... of course

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter