HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2002, 11:31 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
narrowed down choices for my first HLG! Need help selecting.

I have been observing the sailplane threads for a while now, and I am ready to dive in. A friend of mine let me fly two of his HLG's today. I had never flown a sailplane before. What a blast! After he showed me some launching techniques we put his Mornarch up with a high start, and he let me fly it. After a few passes I found myself in a thermal and up it went! I got up high enough that I was getting uncomfortable so I brought it closer to the ground. After a few minutes I found another thermal, and up it went again! I flew for about 10 to 15 minutes, and had an absolute blast! I also flew another of his planes. It looked similar to an Avenger II, but I am not sure what it was. It was also fun to fly, but I didn't have as much luck as I did with the Monarch. Anyway.....I have some ideas for my first sailplane, and I was hoping for some help from the experts.

I am looking for a 1.5M HLG with no motor. I would prefer a poly wing, but it is not a priority. Conventional or T tail is preferable. I would like to start with rudder/elevator ship. My main criteria is that it thermal well. Something that flies like the Monarch or better would be great. I need to keep cost down (at least till I find another job). I would like to stay around $100.00, but would pay up to $150.00 for an exceptional model. I already have batteries, servos, RX etc... I also need it to be an ARF. I don't like building, nor am I good at it. I would like something that has nice lines (sleek looking). I would also like to ability to bungee launch it. It must be able to fly well in at least 10 mph winds (I had no trouble with the monarch today in about 10 mph winds). A DLG would be nice too, but I haven't seen any in my price range.

OK here are my ideas in no particular order. Please tell me if any off these models are ideal or real dogs. Also let me know if I am missing a great model.

http://www.dchobby.com/ARF/handlaunc...x.html#Kit%201 Kit #9 or 10#

http://www.arthobby.com/gliders.html Hyper, Falco or Lotus...I like these models because I could pick up a hyper or a falco at my LHS, but they might not be ideal for thermalling.

http://pages.infinit.net/icarerc/koleos.htm Koleos This looks nice, but it looks really fast too, and is a little more pricey than the others.

http://www.espritmodel.com/sailplane_hl_sweety.html Sweety

http://www.espritmodel.com/sailplane_hl_viky2.html Viky2

http://www.nesail.com/eros.htm The Eros looks really sexy and it sounds like it thermalls well. I like it!

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/filip.htm Filip V

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/jimb.htm Jim B

I am kinda leaning towards the Eros. The rest either look to fast or too slow. I like to fly fast, but I think that would make it harder to thermal. I am trusting you guys to steer me in the right direction since I don't know much about sailplanes, but I have flown a lot of other models. I really want a good thermal ship. Can you guys help me. (sorry for the pleading) I don't know if I can wait much longer .....I have to have an HLG soon.

Thanks in advance,
Mike (soon to be sailplane fanatic) Connally
www.michaelconnally.com
MichaelConnally is offline Find More Posts by MichaelConnally
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Libelle HLG
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2002, 04:20 AM
Beverly Hills, MI.
Joined Jul 2000
110 Posts
Don't know how it flys but the Omega 1.5 poly at nesail sure looks nice to me. Anybody flown one?
Jack Rowland is offline Find More Posts by Jack Rowland
Old Aug 30, 2002, 08:28 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,369 Posts
Hi Michael:
I haven't seen the Eros fly but I have several gliders from nesail and they have all been well built and good planes. The Eros Sq area and weight seem OK for a HLG for sport flying. If you want the color shown in the picture be sure to call and confirm that is what they are shipping. Check the sales at nesail as they should be posting new items on sale later this week.
Speed is your friend and not to be feared with a small HLG. Don't try and fly a plane slowly that is designed to fly fast. A speedier airfoil will get you through the sink faster then a flat bottom airfoil. Both will go up in a thermal equally well. The problem with some gliders with a fast airfoil is that they have trouble turning smoothly in small circles as needed for small thermals close to the ground. I haven't seen that problem with HLGs, it is normally a concern with larger gliders with adjustable flaps etc. where you change your airfoil to slow down for a thermal. Don't try to fly a HLG slower in a thermal as many beginners do. The lift comes from flying your wing through the air so the plane climbs best at it's intended flying speed. Don't hog up elevator to slow it down. have fun and good luck.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2002, 11:11 AM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
Thanks Michael. I understand that sailplanes like to fly in a certain speed range. It seems like with a faster plane it would be harder to know that you are in a thermal. Am I wrong about this?

Does anyone have any experience with these kits?

Thanks,
Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:25 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
Sorry to keep bugging you guys. I have narrowed it down to two candidates.

One is the Falco from Art Hobby http://www.arthobby.com/gliders/specs/falco.html

The other is the Eros from NSP http://www.nesail.com/eros.htm

What do you think? I would like something that will be somewhat competitive once I get good enough.

I am going to make my decision today.

Mike

Here is the Eros
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:26 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
And here is the Falco. I think the Falco is a little more advanced. It is also less expensive.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2002, 01:43 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,369 Posts
SPEED: It is only slightly harder to detect a thermal with a slightly faster plane as very light lift gives slightly less of an action against the plane when you hit the edge of it. But you quickly get used to the difference and since you were able to react to lift flying your friends plane a slightly faster THL should not be a hinderance to your thermaling it.
As for planes for myself I would get the T-tail Eros as I like it's looks better. For a newbie I would recommend it as a THL makes a lot of landings and the horizontal stab on the Falco looks like it might hit the ground a lot as the beginner turns near the ground and often breaks his tail feathers (at least in our club). If the newbie will be catching it or landing level then he should take his pick as the in air performance for both should be sporty but not top competition level. Good Luck!
I like that the Falco sells parts in case of accidents.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2002, 02:55 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
Thank you once again Michael. I couldn't wait any longer. I called up and got the last Eros that NSP had in stock. I also ordered the mini high start. NSP is out of stock on the Old Buzzard’s Soaring book...so I had to order it from carstens-publications. They now have 299 in stock. Here is the link. http://www.carstens-publications.com/hangar/a11560.html

Any building/flying tips or hints for the Eros would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Michael Connally
www.michaelconnally.com
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2002, 09:33 AM
Southern Rockies
Joined Jan 2002
328 Posts
Falco

The Falco was my first 1.5M HLG. Its been a great ship and its taken an absolute beating over the last year while I was learning to fly. I put the tow hook on it and primarily used it with a high start.
The kit is really 1st rate and the plane goes together easy. The wing is a real strong and can take just about anything you can throw at it, including SPEED. Support at art-hobby is great as well.

I've burned up a couple servo's along the way as well which resulted in some really high speed impacts. I broke the Fuselage a couple times but just epoxied it back together and was back in the air.

The glider flys well, thermals well and gives you good feedback. You can checkout some pics of the falco at www.henrylarson.com click on the sailplane link.
leverick is offline Find More Posts by leverick
Last edited by leverick; Aug 31, 2002 at 09:35 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2002, 01:57 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2002
151 Posts
Michael...I hope you enjoy the Eros...I have one, and its my first HLG. It seems a bit heavy, and it likes to fly a little fast. The guy that has been helping me learn has the Omega Poly, and it flies much better, but it costs twice as much too. The Eros is durable...I've tested it pretty well as I've been learning critical lessons. I had to add more weight than I would have liked to get th CG right, but dont make the mistake I did of taking the weight out to lighten it up....bad results...The lit on NESAILS web page is inaccurate regarding the weight..it finishes out closer to 13 oz, not 11...about the only thing I didnt like in the building was the push rod setup for the hor stab...it has to make a pretty dramatic curve in that T tail setup, and exits at a funny angle, which means you have lots of up throw but little down, or you'll rip the horn off. You'll see what I mean when you start to build. Also, the nut for the bolt that holds the Hor stab on is too wide for the top of the t tail...gotta do some fancy filing to get it to fit as intended...rather than use the nut we just drilled and threaded a piece of lite ply and CA'd the threads...

Anyway my plan is to abuse this plane a little longer, then probably go to the Avenger 2, or perhaps the XP3...

Have fun..

Mark
mgardner is offline Find More Posts by mgardner
Old Sep 06, 2002, 03:10 PM
ASW 15 Owner
Cold Lake, Alberta Canada
Joined Aug 2002
15 Posts
Perhaps the following question might help in choosing an HLG:

I recently downloaded some videos of people grabbing their A/C by the wingtip, doing a 360 degree and flinging the glider 100 feet or more up into the air! Don't need histart or motor. Are there any HLG that you don't have to mortgage the house for, that would be a good starting plane?
Sir_Right is offline Find More Posts by Sir_Right
Old Sep 06, 2002, 11:27 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
Thanks guys,

Well....I built my Eros today. It went together OK, but the directions suck! I found a few errors in them. Mine came out well over the suggested weight, but it seems like all my planes do. I just got back from test flying it tonight. There is a football field near my house that always has it's lights on. I was a little leery of flying it at night, but I am also impatient, and there was no wind. I am very happy with how it flies so far. I am at the suggested CG, but I need to move it back a bit. After a few hand launches to get used to it I was able to throw it..make a nice turn and catch it. Pretty good for first flights, and being new to sailplanes.

I am going to add a ziegelmeyer tow hook. Do I need to put something between the nut on the tow hook and the fuse (on the inside)? The suggested CG for the Eros is 50mm from the leading edge. As I am going to move the CG back a bit... I was planning on placing the tow hook at 50mm. Does this sound like a good idea for a start? Does anyone have any tips for a beginner's first bungee launch?

Some people have told me to just tape on the canopy, but I don't really like that idea. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Here is my completed Eros.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2002, 11:28 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
Thought I would throw in a pic of the tow hook as well.
Sorry for all the pics.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2002, 11:29 PM
flutter!
TX
Joined Jul 2002
2,112 Posts
sorry
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2002, 08:03 AM
Southern Rockies
Joined Jan 2002
328 Posts
Plane looks great!!!

For the tow hook anchor you could get a 3/8 inch thick hardwood strip then cut it about a 1/2 - 3/4 inch long and snad it to conform to the bottom of the fuselage and CA it in place. THis would give you a good anchor.

Your tow hook position is fine if its just forward of your CG. I would suggest experiemeting with your CG a little with javalin launches prior to committing to the tow hook position.

Hi start launching is a breeze. Just make sure you do your first few into the wind so you get used to flying it up the line to release. With your flying skills learning the Hi Start will be easy. You'll get a little adrenaline shot the first couple times!!!
leverick is offline Find More Posts by leverick