HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2006, 03:56 PM
Joined Mar 2005
257 Posts
Discussion
Dumas Coast Guard utility boat

Hello,
I just need input on the Dumas Coast guard utility boat. Has anyone built this boat? I have read the thread here, however, I would like futher comments on this particular kit. I believe I may purchase this kit.
Thanks,
Gary
Gary Mullens is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mullens
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2006, 07:10 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mullens
Hello,
I just need input on the Dumas Coast guard utility boat. Has anyone built this boat? I have read the thread here, however, I would like futher comments on this particular kit. I believe I may purchase this kit.
Thanks,
Gary
HEY GARY! First of all which coast guard utility are we talking about. Dumas made two , one was the 40' utility, (twin screw downeast type hull), and the 41' utility which was a (modified vee type bottom) twin screw. I don't think that Dumas makes the 40' veresion any more but they do come up on EBAY once in a while. Both boats are plank on bulkhead with the 40' version being planked with balsa planking and the 41' utility being sheet planked with die cut plywood. Both boats build into very good running boats, but are very limited with instructions. The 40' utility if I remember right had only one sheet of instructions, and the 41' was not much better. I would not recomend either hull to a first time builder, and would suggest that you try the MIDWEST coast guard model of the 47' lifeboat for the first build. The instructions are probably the best in the bussiness. Another Dumas boat to stay clear of for a first time build, is the TROJAN 31, as many a member of this RC FORUM will tell you, since there are a bunch of us have built or are building the model now. Hope this helps, do not be discouraged, build a boat or two with go instructions first, then tackle the utility.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:20 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,741 Posts
Dumas chose kind of an odd scale for the 40' UTB , 7/8" = 1', roughly 1:14th scale; the model is 35" long. The Dumas model of the 41' UTB is a mopre standard 1:16 th scale. 3/4" = 1'; the model is 31" long. Dumas also makes a 1:32 scale model of the 41' UTB. Dumas shows the rudders on the 41' UTB to be parallel with the skeg (keel); the rudders are installed perpendicular to the bottom hull plating; angling out away form the skeg.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Nov 01, 2006, 07:19 AM
I see a plan in your flaw
Shaker Heights, OH
Joined Mar 2005
493 Posts
Here is my Dumas modified 40' In its earlier stages. The front windows were modified since I finished the inside and added some crew etc. The rear deck that looks like it is open houses the rudder servos. I relocated them to make more room under the deck for lights etc. You are still able to purchase at Dumas. Check under "Discounted Models" A great boat and a great price.

Thanks for the pictures Bob!

Marty
pusar is offline Find More Posts by pusar
Last edited by pusar; Nov 01, 2006 at 07:27 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2006, 02:48 PM
She'd roll on wet grass !
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Joined May 2004
146 Posts
Another interesting variant I've always wanted to do is the Royal Canadian Air Force crash boats based on these.
k225 is offline Find More Posts by k225
Old Nov 01, 2006, 05:34 PM
Shaker Heights, OH
Joined Mar 2005
493 Posts
K225

Thanks for the pictures! I have never seen them (that type of boat) before. I just did not like the small windows on the front of the boat. I am glad I am not the only one!

Marty
Old Nov 02, 2006, 08:40 AM
Joined Mar 2005
257 Posts
dumas coast guard life boat

Thanks for your input on this. I appreciate it. Anyone know who has them in stock? I checked with tower and their out of stock. I have another question;
How are the drive hardware and motors that come with the kit? Also, I need feed back on a quality speed controller for this particular model. Do you recommend a brush less motor?
Thanks,
Gary
Gary Mullens is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mullens
Old Nov 02, 2006, 12:18 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,741 Posts
On these two Dumas kits, the drive hardware is a separate kit, with their Adapt-a-drive gear set. The Dumas gear sets are brass gears in an aluminum fram, and can bet set up to drive both props from one motor. I personally don't like the Dumas gear sets, they make two much noise. Go with standard brushed motors, brushless is overkill. Any good ESC will work, I've used the Traxxas XL-1, the ProBoat waterproof ESC, MCD ESC's and several others. I wouldn't use the motors that Dumas recommends, check out the power packages offered by MACK Products. You can rig up two esc's for independent control of the motors.

Have you tried ordering through the local hobby shop?
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Nov 02, 2006, 05:39 PM
Shaker Heights, OH
Joined Mar 2005
493 Posts
Did you call Dumas? They are showing the boat under discounted models. 66 bucks.

http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=354

Marty
Old Nov 04, 2006, 08:31 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mullens
Thanks for your input on this. I appreciate it. Anyone know who has them in stock? I checked with tower and their out of stock. I have another question;
How are the drive hardware and motors that come with the kit? Also, I need feed back on a quality speed controller for this particular model. Do you recommend a brush less motor?
Thanks,
Gary
Gary, check out MACK PRODUCTS, I know that they have both the COAST GUARD boats in stock as well as their own power packages for both boats. I have built both boats and have run both in competion with the MACK setup with very good results. I run one speed control for both motors and with the twin rudders have excellent manuevering on the precision steering course. The advantage to running one speed control is I only need a two channel radio for the setup. MACK's web address is www.mackproductsrc.com
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Nov 11, 2006, 03:49 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,252 Posts
Dumas Osprey

I just purchased a 40' Coast Guard Utility Boat in the Discount area at the Dumas Store. This is my second wooden boat kit. I would not recomend this kit for a first time wooden boat builder. My first wooden kit was the Dumas Osprey. Originally, I wanted to build a Chris Craft as my first wooden boat, but a hobby store owner talked me into buying the Osprey. I was glad he did. The Dumas Osprey is a training kit to teach the basics of wooden boat building. It was big fun and I surprised myself. Although, there can be some lasting side effects. For some odd reason, I no longer have any interest in building a Chris Craft runabout. I'm now hooked on the "Down East" hulls for now. The Osprey kit has prepped me for building more complex kits that usually have fewer instructions and require more concentration on details. I'm not an expert at wooden boat kits, but I learned enough to work out construction problems on my own. I put a more modern pilot house on my Osprey from scratch. If you need some inspiration for utility design, go to Sea Ark Marine at www.seaark.com. I rigged my Osprey with some cheap Aquacraft parts from Tower Hobbies using a spare 380 motor and a Reef Racer reciever. I'm also using my Reef Racer transmitter. I'm sure it would benifit from a reduction gear, but I don't know much about rigging motors on boats. I just threw it all in there and hoped for the best. It also uses a speed prop from a Reef Racer as well. The 7.2 volt 1100 ham ni-mh provided plenty of juice but a short run time. I'm not interested in using lead-acid. She battled some 8 inch waves off the beach and surfed back in without flipping over. Water splashed on deck pretty good, but my boat is completely sealed with West System inside and out. Don't forget to balloon your reciver. I'm going to go slow on my new Coast Guard utility. This time I'm using a 550 motor and 3800 7.2v battery. I might even try using a parallel harness. I wish you luck on your new boat. Both kits can be purchased at the Dumas Store online in the Discount Boat area.
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Old Nov 11, 2006, 03:54 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg
Gary, check out MACK PRODUCTS, I know that they have both the COAST GUARD boats in stock as well as their own power packages for both boats. I have built both boats and have run both in competion with the MACK setup with very good results. I run one speed control for both motors and with the twin rudders have excellent manuevering on the precision steering course. The advantage to running one speed control is I only need a two channel radio for the setup. MACK's web address is www.mackproductsrc.com
Wow!! I've never heard of Mack Products! Way to cool, Thanks!
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:36 PM
Ontario, NY
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
Wow Tollytime, what a coincidence! I just finished building the osprey as my first wood kit, and am now considering the 40' utility as well. Great minds think alike!
lyman135 is offline Find More Posts by lyman135
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:49 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
Lyman-, If you build the Dumas 40' Utility, I really wish you would consider doing a build thread on it. Good luck with it.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:16 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,063 Posts
Check out the thread by Lyman135 about the poor pictures on Dumas plans. It has some info on the 40'er. The cabin windows were large in the early boats,later converted to the small ones when the secondary controls were removed from the cabin. It was very blind trying to drive from in there. You couldn't see over the bow very well. The engine cover was not rectangular in cross section but curved on the sides and flat on top with 4 hatches,2 per side. If you were small you could climb into the engine compartment through one of the 2 aft hatches and it took 4 people to remove the cover.(it was aluminum) The USCG Historian site has a thread on USCG paint schemes and color charts.
Hope this helps with the boat. Post some pictures of it as you build.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Last edited by charlie eaton; Aug 01, 2008 at 10:36 AM.