HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2006, 04:22 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,405 Posts
Discussion
Ok guys I did it, DOWNTOWN CHICAGO

I did this at grant park as a trial, I will post more clips up, now that I know the cops dont bother me they actually thought it was cool, I actually flew over that big white building which is the amaco building, its about little bit smaller than the twin towers of new york, I flew over it without the camera though, I should of did it with the camera but I was kinda scared cause the distance and the view deception, it was scary I thought i was going to hit the building. Next clip im going to closer to sears tower, but its all goofed up cause the camera needs to be mounted backwards, but the clip is great i wish you tube would be more clear, if anyone has a website they can host it for me I would send the file it would be much clear.

downtown chicago beach and navy pier (4 min 2 sec)

Enjoy the view you can see the famous fountain, you can see sears tower and ofcourse lake michigan. ENjoy would like to get some comments on better clips if anyone has advice.
sherlockshah is offline Find More Posts by sherlockshah
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2006, 05:17 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Looks like your plane wants to roll left on its own, followed by regular jerks back to the right to correct. Might be easier to watch if the cam was secured to the plane. My own web page is full, otherwise I could host it. I keep a handful of my favorite aerial videos there: http://www.stcroixap.rchomepage.com/video/

Nice scenery! Just be careful and keep the flying over people or personal property to a minimum. The police may be okay with flying in the park, but that would likely change if you flew through a windshield or into the side of a building.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Oct 31, 2006, 05:28 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,679 Posts
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but isn't flying RC near (and over! ) buildings in a major city center just asking for trouble? I personally couldn't imagine trying to judge the distance while flying near stationary objects more than 100 yards away. It seems you are inviting disaster.

I hate being negative here, but I think if you accidently crashed into the side of the Sears Tower, that's something that quite possibly would make national news, and would shed a VERY bad light on our hobby.

Jst saying is all.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 31, 2006, 05:40 PM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,157 Posts
sherlockshah, I enjoyed the video. That said, in todays climate crashing a model into a downtown building would not be in model aviations best interest.
I wouldn't like to see new video on the six o'clock news.
You can get some strange winds around large buildings, strange enough that the best model and the best pilot might not be able to compensate for.

The superior pilot uses his superior knowledge, to keep him out of situations that would require his superior skill.

Nice vid, keep safe.
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
Old Oct 31, 2006, 05:45 PM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
Cool vid but I am also concerned about this activity. Add to the fact that the altitude is quite a bit above what is considered legal flying height for an RC aircraft. AMA hashed this out with the FAA and the maximum legal altitude is 400 ft for RC aircraft.

Also look a all the cars on the roads below. Hate to see a radio glitch put that Stryker down into the middle of chicago land traffic. I have driven through chicago 100s of times (used to drive over the road truck) and even that little foam stryker can cause a traffic accident that would kill someone on that town with the way most of them drive.

I would hate to see national headlines "Radio aircraft causes 50 car pile up with fatalities in Chicago area"
Rat is offline Find More Posts by Rat
Old Oct 31, 2006, 05:57 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,679 Posts
Not being able to view the Youtube video here at work, and going back and reading the OP, I realize I may have spoken out of turn.

Question, were you inside the park boundries at all times? I ask this as your statement of "I flew over the building" could actually mean that you were flying at an altitude higher than the building while in the park, not necessarily that you actually flew "over" the building itself. Is that the case?

Also, I am not familiar with downtown Chicago and Grant Park. Do these buildings (Amaco & Sears Tower) directly border the park? In any case, flying near the buildings, or over busy streets/pedestrian traffic, is generally a bad idea.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 31, 2006, 06:31 PM
RC Bum
Riverside, CA
Joined Apr 2006
1,494 Posts
After having landed thousands of times at Meigs Field in MSFS and twice for real (Ted Smith Aerostar and straight tail Bonanza), this video was a joy. I was amazed at how many landmarks I could identify just from having seen them in MSFS. I could see where Meigs was, but I understand it has been demolished.

It looked to me like you stayed within the park boundaries. I didn't see anything any more scary or irresponsible than I have of others flying over Midwest college campuses adjacent to corn fields.

But you need to figure out why your plane keeps feinting to the right and you need to lock that wobbly camera down before it jumps ship.

Unique video. Lots of fun.

Eric
Eric_N57105 is offline Find More Posts by Eric_N57105
Old Oct 31, 2006, 06:47 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,405 Posts
I did a range test first, without the camera

I made sure there were no radio glitches, Sears tower is kinda far from this park, Im sure the stryker would make it but i wont be able to see it, IM pretty good with the controls now , IM making one tommorw at the beach to capture Bahai TEmple in evanston
Old Oct 31, 2006, 06:50 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,405 Posts
its prob the camera, or the stryker :(

i was doing a upside down fly down and had a bad crash the plane never flew the same after words. ITs prob the camera its huge, im trying to trim it up in the air it just wont do it, i wish I can keep it steady, also one more time does anyone have a web site so we can see it clear?
Old Oct 31, 2006, 07:03 PM
Joined Feb 2006
2,405 Posts
after i Made a few circles low altitude

without the camera I took it really high up, I flew over the amaco building, very scary though so i thought it was wise not to do that again, so when i strap the camera on i just kept inside the park, I did not want to crash and cause issues IM sure no one would even notice a little foam plane hitting a window but I did not want to loose the camera incase of the crash
Old Oct 31, 2006, 07:25 PM
Chicago O, Illinois, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,450 Posts
Yeah, that temple is a real beautiful place. I'm sure it would look great from the air, just not from too close!
Spongebob is offline Find More Posts by Spongebob
Old Oct 31, 2006, 08:45 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
I belonged to a club on the south side for years, and the cops would sit and wait for somebody to just fly OVER the nearby road. YOu got a ticket and kicked off the field. I think that it is going to catch up with you sooner or later. Hope it's not by crashing into someones car or someone period. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn