HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:38 PM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Balaguer in LÚrida - Spain
Joined Jul 2005
569 Posts
Build Log
C-160 Transall by CMP e-conversion.

Well this is going to be my brother's and my next project...I'll need some advice on the electric parts required as I haven't got a clue on what motors, if possible some cheap and powerfull ones, and esc's and how to wire it all together.

It's going to be the Camo scheme one.

Wing Span: 72"
Weight: 6.28lb
Length: 53"
Wing Area:581sq.in
Wing Loading: 24.34oz./sq.ft.
Radio: 4 Channel 5 Servos

Wings are all wood built-up construction, not foam...as stands corrected at AK-Models site where I've order it...should be here maybe on tuesday or friday.

Thanks to Alex at AK-Models for his dealing on shipping making it nice and easy to buy it from outside EU.

Alex
Alex B is offline Find More Posts by Alex B
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2006, 02:19 PM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,965 Posts
Wow, twin motors, been thinking about it but haven't had the guts

Nice going, going to be very interesting

Now I've got to get one too

Keep it up

//Peter
wolw is offline Find More Posts by wolw
Old Oct 31, 2006, 04:31 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
There is a very long thread in the RC Universe conversion forum on this airplane. I personally have built three of them and most of the other guys that participate have done the same. You might check it. Every possible alternative has been covered, even retracts and baggage doors. Van even modified his for flaps. I did the same but mine crashed.

I linked to the last page, however, if anyone is interested they can read all 20 plus pages.

Alex, I'm sure you have some fresh ideas and paint schemes, as we are just a bunch of old guys. I hope the link below will help you in your build and possible modifications. You might note that the CG in the manual is not correct, the correct CG is between 78 and 80MM. I can't wait to see what you come up with, you seem to have extraordinary building and paint ability.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31...page_20/tm.htm

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Last edited by SCALEFAN; Oct 31, 2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2006, 03:28 PM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Joined Jul 2005
569 Posts
Al thanks for the link will definitely have a deep read through it and take notes.

Alex
Old Nov 01, 2006, 05:12 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,300 Posts
Looks like a good candidate for some Hextronik motors..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Nov 02, 2006, 05:49 PM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Joined Jul 2005
569 Posts
Today I received the box with the plane and it's really big...my brother is really excited with this project too and if we have spare time will try to start it tomorrow evening...impressive will be once we finish it and take it to the field.

Will begin to post pics as soon as we start to build.

Well we've ordered the following motors that should do just right for this plane or at least is what we think

MOTOR SPEC LINK

Alex
Old Nov 03, 2006, 12:58 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex B

Well we've ordered the following motors that should do just right for this plane or at least is what we think

MOTOR SPEC LINK

Alex
Alex,

There's two versions of this motor, one high kv ~920 2915-5 (Delta) and one low kv ~720 2915-5 (wye) motor.
double check which one you get, if not specified there's no telling which one you'll get.

//Peter
Old Nov 03, 2006, 02:27 AM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Joined Jul 2005
569 Posts
Peter the link should work straight to the 930 one...at least it works for me but in any case that's the one I've ordered.

Peter how's everything up there ?

Now awaiting for opinions on this set up.

Alex
Old Nov 03, 2006, 05:24 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex B

Peter how's everything up there ?

Now awaiting for opinions on this set up.

Alex
If I say -10░C, 25cm snow you can guess what's it like Do you mind me staying with you for the winter

How's things in sunny Spain ?

Your setup looks pretty much as I calculated for my self if I would build one.
2915-5 motor is very much motor for the money.

There's a huge thread on the 2915-5, and I believe if it's not specified Delta you don't which one you get. Mine is silver like the picture and have kv ~720.

//Peter
Last edited by wolw; Nov 03, 2006 at 12:31 PM. Reason: More info.
Old Nov 05, 2006, 05:25 PM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Joined Jul 2005
569 Posts
Peter snow already ??? omg...hope you can get some extra snow-free time to fly your birds...becoming cold and foggy over here now so I'd say winter is nosing in.

I think those motors will do great...we'll see !!!

Here are some pics for size reference.

Alex
Old Nov 05, 2006, 09:38 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Alex,

You have built several planes lately, great paint work too. You are going to fly them before the winter sets in aren't you? Post some cummy video like me, join the crummy video club. But, remember one thing. If you start a build thread it should end with a flight video, good or bad, it has to end with a video. The pressure in on, those are the rules.

Good luck with the Transall, just remember you have to make those small props spin fast and you have to check the wing incidence or it may never leave the ground. How do I know?

Al
Old Nov 06, 2006, 06:52 AM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Joined Jul 2005
569 Posts
Al I read through that thread you linked me to...but still need to clarify all that reading and if you can assist me in one doubt about the wing incidence will be much appreciated...as far as I've understood it should show 0║ so should be parallel to the ground ? is that correct ? both wing and tail I understand.

About videos so far nearly all my projects have at least one...except P47 by Graupner, T34 Mentor (not finished yet) and the C160 because is still in the early days

Winter is not too extreme over here so I should be able to fly almost every weekend...although we could reach 0║ C temps for several weeks but that's not going to put me off from flying

YES I TOO BELIEVE ALL OF US MODELLERS SHOULD OFFER FLIGHT VIDEOS TO MAKE THINGS MORE EXCITING EVEN IF WE CRASH THEM ON MAIDEN FLIGHT.

Will keep reporting.

Alex
Old Nov 06, 2006, 08:09 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Alex,

The wing incidence of the main wing is in relation to the horizontal stab, or rear wing.

The problem with some of the kits, is that they are made by different companies. Some of the kits have negative incidence and the plane wants to go down, not enough elevator movement is available to overcome it.

I would post a note to Van on the other site, and ask him the easiest way to check it. I bought a gage from Tower Hobbies that slides over the wings.

Are you going to change the paint on this bird?

Al
Old Nov 06, 2006, 10:53 AM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Joined Jul 2005
569 Posts
Al I'll check with Van once I start this project...about the gauge I've been thinking on purchasing one myself several times but they're not cheap and most kits are properly built...but at the same time it's better to check it before flying than regret a crash for saving some cash, as I've got time before I fly this bird I might order one.

Regarding paint scheme I like it as it is but once maiden I may rethink it as camo schemes are a paint to follow on the sky...but will do some research and see what I find.

Thanks for your help.

Alex
Old Nov 06, 2006, 12:17 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,235 Posts
Alex

I'm trying to psycho analyze my reasons for participating in the continueing threads re- the C-160, also the reasons others are doing the same. I think I figured it out.

The C-160 is an affordable, nice looking, and easy to build twin kit. However, the flying characteristics seem to be less than perfect, which, seperates it from the full scale plane. Also, we all seem to be interested in finding out if there if there are simple mods that can be made that will provide more stable flying characteristics. This plane should be able to fly slow, and it can't. So, until a good replacement hits the market, we are here and are all ears.

Looking forward to razzing you during the build process. Carlos can provide the inspiration, I will try to provide the humor, you only have to provide a quick buildout and good flight report with video. The object is to provide good reading material for the guys that will be snowed in for the next six months

Al
Last edited by SCALEFAN; Nov 06, 2006 at 03:30 PM.