HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:23 PM
Ennnnncommmming!!!!!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Sep 2008
920 Posts
Very nice LK2TINKR!

I have to see how you did the scale flaps..... 4 servos?
Cougar Zeke is offline Find More Posts by Cougar Zeke
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 11:50 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,508 Posts
Good Job, congrats on the maiden
E
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
Old May 13, 2012, 10:00 AM
Long Island, New York
Joined Apr 2006
374 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the good words, much appreciated. This was a fun project and I was helped a great deal by all the info given out by the group.

C/Z, the flaps use 2 servos attached to the inboard panels, the outboard panels are driven by the inboard ones. See below.

Now, I have to decide on a paint scheme. What is everyones experience with some of the camo schemes?

LK2TINKR
LK2TINKR is offline Find More Posts by LK2TINKR
Old May 13, 2012, 10:30 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK2TINKR View Post
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the good words, much appreciated. This was a fun project and I was helped a great deal by all the info given out by the group.

C/Z, the flaps use 2 servos attached to the inboard panels, the outboard panels are driven by the inboard ones. See below.

Now, I have to decide on a paint scheme. What is everyones experience with some of the camo schemes?

LK2TINKR
Nice on the flaps. Doesn't the ouboard one bind a bit?
This is EPS so I used only acrylic paint and Krylon H2O (no VOC's). If you would first give it a coat of Minwax polycrylic, then you can use anything I guess.
Finding the right size swastika was not easy. They ended up costing half as much as the kit!
I am partial to the Walter Nowotny scheme (Weisse Acht)!
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Last edited by Galand; May 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:28 PM
Ennnnncommmming!!!!!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Sep 2008
920 Posts
Very impressive flap setup LK2TINKR! I never thought of an arrangement like that.

As far as the paint scheme is concerned, I have always spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get the correct green that I have in mind. By the time I got #3 done, I was on a first name basis with the people in the Home Depot paint section. My three paint schemes are in post #3185 on page 213.

Also- I'm sure you're aware of how much paint and polyC can weigh (I wasn't), but it added over 100 grams to #3. And most of the weight was behind the CG line.....
Old May 13, 2012, 08:27 PM
Long Island, New York
Joined Apr 2006
374 Posts
Thanks for the compliments on the flaps, guys. Galand, you're very perceptive; because of the mis-match angle between the two hinge lines something has to bind, that's why I use a relatively high torque servo (22 in.oz) to get them to operate. They work fine and the servos don't buzz even when the flaps are down all the way. The outboard panels just don't extend as much as the inboard ones but it didn't seem to affect the handling when I used them for the landing approach.

I love the Novotny yellow number 8 but I'll probably opt for some lighter color, maybe a winter scheme.

C/Z your paint jobs look great, you practically have a whole squad... I hear you about the paint weight, I'll need to have a very light touch on the trigger for sure...Thanks for all the feedback.

LK2TINKR
Old May 14, 2012, 10:03 AM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,510 Posts
Too legit to quit, LK! That is awesome! I used flaperons on mine, and they help with the landings. Before mixing them, it was a choice between screaming in like a bullet or nursing it in on the edge of a stall. We have grass, which is kind of unforgiving. It helps to come in on a steep but slow descent. That really looks sharp with all the mods. I like the nacelle reduction most.

Glad she flew well and it was all good on the maiden.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old May 15, 2012, 07:42 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2010
409 Posts
DIY swastica or any simple multicolor decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
Nice on the flaps. Doesn't the ouboard one bind a bit?
This is EPS so I used only acrylic paint and Krylon H2O (no VOC's). If you would first give it a coat of Minwax polycrylic, then you can use anything I guess.
Finding the right size swastika was not easy. They ended up costing half as much as the kit!
I am partial to the Walter Nowotny scheme (Weisse Acht)!
Swastica seems a simple geometrical item. Mine from GWS didn't have the decal, so I made it myself with adhesive coating sheets, using both black and white colors ($.99 to $3 per sheet in any hobby store):
1. Measure the dimensions of swastica.
2. then cut out the black swastica from black coating sheet.
3. peel the black swastica off (the back side should be sticky and handle carefully), apply it to the white coasting sheet, make sure completely flat without wrinkles.
4. trace and cut out the final swastica from the white sheet, then peel it off to apply to the model.
edwen303 is offline Find More Posts by edwen303
Last edited by edwen303; May 15, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:16 PM
Long Island, New York
Joined Apr 2006
374 Posts
dLdV,

Thanks, dude. This projeect moved along mostly because of all the feed-back from you and others that made sure i was on the right track. As for the flaps, I had made the decision from the begining to use the full flaps due to the heavy take off weight, who knows, she may be fine without the flaps too. I was very pleased with the approach speed on final, about 1/3 throttle and a level to slight nose up attitude and she kind of glided down on a steep and slow approach. It may have looked easy but she had my rapt attention the whole way down. I re-charged the flight pack and it took 1600 ma, this is usually as far as I would push a 2200 ma pack so about 4 minutes of mixed throttle flying seems to be the deal with this set up. I did have the aborted take off so maybe five minutes would still be safe. I finished all my re-inforcements and waiting on the spackle to dry so I can start painting (more weight!).

LK
Old May 31, 2012, 02:36 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
514 Posts
Ok, so caliber hobby is showing an epo me262 (GWS-262 NPS-EPO, White
GWAEO024AA) but it is OUT OF STOCK

there are several other kits listed as epo.

Anybody know anything about this
trroadster is offline Find More Posts by trroadster
Old May 31, 2012, 06:22 AM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Isn't this kit out of production?

I have a white one, with brushless motors, NIB, if you are interested. Spare fans, too!
JohnathanSwift is online now Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 31, 2012, 10:32 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
514 Posts
Styrofoam is out of production. This one is in a section of epo kits.

http://www.caliberhobby.com/EPO_kits.html
trroadster is offline Find More Posts by trroadster
Old May 31, 2012, 11:17 AM
On the Edge of Space
Joined Dec 2007
1,510 Posts
We've been waiting forever for the new EPO kits. They made the EPO EStarter and slow stick, and of course the old P-40 and FW190, but nothing new I know of since then.

Oh wow, as I was. They have some new ones. Awesome! Maybe get a Mustang. No, I have a Mustang. AT-6 for combat! Yeah, baby! Thanks for the heads up!
Old May 31, 2012, 01:49 PM
Ennnnncommmming!!!!!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Sep 2008
920 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me what a raggedy organization GWS can be.

I clicked on the link to the new EPO Mustang and get the same "The page cannot be found" result. I have a suggestion GWS (Caliber): remove the "hyperlink to nowhere"! Jheeesh.

The EPO 262 has had a part number and has been out of stock since October 2011, if not longer.

I have no idea, but my guess is that they are probably having a tough time trying to get the CG right on the EPO version.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:19 AM
On the Edge of Space
Joined Dec 2007
1,510 Posts
Seriously. They're not even tryin' anymore, but I still love 'em.