Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:18 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
here here on the CG tips... I made mine 75 mm from leading wing root as per the manual, but it does not balance there so much as tip forwards and backwards equally...

I have never experienced this before but am assuming it is because there is weight both above and below the wing, making a nice steady balance difficult or impossible. I am wondering if this means the pitch will be really sensitive in flight though and i anxiously await replies on the issue with druegeme
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:36 PM
O stewardess I speak jive
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
I had a similar setup for my 262. The 3s will work but your flight time will probably be about 5-7min. The amp draw is low but both motors really drop the volts on the cells. My battery was generally not happy if I went longer than a 6 minute flight. 4s would probably be a better option if possible.

When taking off give it plenty of room and time to rotate. If you try to go up too fast you may stall it out. Same goes for aggressive vertical. Be careful as this plane does not have the same characteristics as a Zero or 109. Just take it easy at first, until you get aquainted with what it can and cant do. Good luck, it is a fun plane.
Jake Williams is offline Find More Posts by Jake Williams
Old Nov 28, 2007, 03:18 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
My CG is at 70mm from the fuselage wing junction at the bottom. I launch with a Vasa launcher. It is really easy. I get 5-6 Minutes with 3S 2200's.

Kasra
kasra is online now Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2007, 08:07 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by druegeme
Any other tips for maiden? how to launch?
Be aware of the low thrust line. Large throttle changes will affect the pitch, especially at low speeds.

I only ROG, and mine likes to jump off the ground into a steep climb that it can't sustain. When it does that, I give it enough down stick to keep the nose down so it can accelerate and climb out at a reasonable angle. Once it's up to speed it's very well behaved.

Likewise on landing, be ready for the nose to drop when you reduce power. Feed in a little up to maintain your attitude and all will be well.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:40 AM
flyer4life
SFO Bay Area
Joined Nov 2004
313 Posts
ok thanks everybody! Cg came out right at 70mm so I'll leave it just like that.

AUW is now 825g (unpainted).

ROG would be nice and I taxied around in my backyard some, however the goose poop on our field has already been the death sentence to several fans, so I'll go with handlaunch with some head wind (unless I run into somebody with a Vasa launcher .

The cold weather here inspired me to do a winter camo paint scheme in RLM colors, but that will be after maiden.
druegeme is offline Find More Posts by druegeme
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:41 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
Mine was 30 Ounces with the TP2200V2 also. Painted but no landing gear. There is a contest on Saturday in Davis. Can you wait until Sunday? You will need to tape/glue a hook to the bottom by the way. Mine is about where the nose gear would have been but anywhere from leading edge to there should work. Check out Pete's Blog for a picture.

Rdeis is right on the money. When the plane stalls due to rapid power application, you lose elevator and aileron authority as well. I was holding almost full down and a few times had to back off the power and go up gently.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2007, 09:45 AM
flyer4life
SFO Bay Area
Joined Nov 2004
313 Posts
good to hear about your AUW, it felt heavy to me but apparently it can fly very well like that.

Just for fun, I hooked up a 4S 2100 pack yesterday and WOW these fans come to live! Working to enlarge the batt compartment.

If the wind is favorable I might give it a shot this afternoon.

Thanks for the offer Kasra, I'll let you know.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:28 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasra
When the plane stalls due to rapid power application, you lose elevator and aileron authority as well. I was holding almost full down and a few times had to back off the power and go up gently.
And this is a really big danger when hand launching. A few guys have done it successfully, so I'd look to them for advice on how much throttle to use and etc-- just keep that nose down.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Dec 02, 2007, 12:37 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
Some Pictures from today...Congratulations Druegeme

Note the rails coming off...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2007, 11:07 AM
flyer4life
SFO Bay Area
Joined Nov 2004
313 Posts
many thanks to kasra for the launcher and excellent pictures (as usual).

A couple of lessons learned.

First attempt was with 3S TP2100at 6.30am (before kasra arrived), with frost covered ground. Thought this was ideal for ROG, but the plane went on its nose (with Cg at 70mm). So I handlaunched it at 75% throttle and everything went fine. It did not pitch up. Surprisingly fast and agile. On landing, it went on its nose and flipped.

Next attempt was on 4S2100, Cg again at 70mm. I did not dare to hand launch due to higher wing loading so waited for the bungee launch to arrive. This is launch you see in the pictures. Flew great, no tendency to pitch up. Pretty fast, but not as fast as I thought. On landing, I came in a little too fast, but pretty sure I had the elevator all the way up when it touched the ground. Again, it flipped but this time left wing broke off. You can see in last picture that I had the left wing a tad lower on landing.

So I think the Cg needs to move back a little for better 'ground handlin'. will try 75mm next time.

By the way the flight time on the 4S 2100 pack was about 5 min, and it had 600mAh left.

The wing is glued back on, was an easy fix. And now we'll get started on the paint job (glad I waited after maiden)!
Old Dec 03, 2007, 02:30 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
Well now that you have it fixed, a couple of Ouch pictures
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2007, 10:09 AM
Suspended Account
Grove City, PA
Joined Sep 2007
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasra
Well now that you have it fixed, a couple of Ouch pictures
Find a field like this for hand launching. Especially for maidens.
This park field is priceless:
Bill Covert is offline Find More Posts by Bill Covert
Old Dec 23, 2007, 09:42 AM
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Sep 2003
1,134 Posts
I just started assembling my 262. I ordered the brushless power system, but the screws that mount the motor to the fan shroud don't fit the motors and I can't find a referrence to what size screw I need. The motors are the GWS 3900kv inrunners. Help.

John
jonnyjetprop is offline Find More Posts by jonnyjetprop
Old Dec 23, 2007, 04:00 PM
Solidworks
Stanfield,NC
Joined Apr 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjetprop
I just started assembling my 262. I ordered the brushless power system, but the screws that mount the motor to the fan shroud don't fit the motors and I can't find a referrence to what size screw I need. The motors are the GWS 3900kv inrunners. Help.

John
I had the same problem. Had to dig through my spare screws to find ones that fit. You should install the fan adapters and run the motors to see if they wobble, I had to send mine back for replacement.
speedracer24 is offline Find More Posts by speedracer24
Old Dec 24, 2007, 06:23 PM
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Sep 2003
1,134 Posts
I'll answer my own question. They're 2.6mm screws. Get them in the rc car department at your local hobby shop. It's a common screw in the car world.

John
jonnyjetprop is offline Find More Posts by jonnyjetprop
Last edited by jonnyjetprop; Dec 24, 2007 at 06:52 PM.