HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2006, 02:16 AM
Joined Oct 2006
55 Posts
Discussion
HZ Super Cub vs. PZ Slo-V

Hey,
I'm fairly new to the whole RC thing. I'm really looking to get a good, solid, easy to fly 3 channel electric airplane. The two that have stuck out to me are the Hobby Zone Super Cub RTF ($160) and the Park Zone Slo-V ($140). The Slo-V really appeals to me because I have NO radio gear whatsoever, and I want something that flys somewhat slow. Also the Super Cub appeals because it is a complete RTF as well, and I've heard it performs decent in small winds. I know the Slo-V will suffer in the wind.
Either way I have three real options...
1. Slo-V: A great, stable, slow-flying, trainer.
2. Super Cub: A great, stable trainer, which flies better in wind.
OR
3. Buy a JR Sport S400 radio w/ mini servos, batteries, and reciever included at my Local Hobby Shop for $120 and build something, such as a Slow-Stick or Pico-Stick.

Also, It will be winter here soon in Utah, so the slow-flying, gym capable flyers appeal to me.

Which airplane would be best fit for a complete beginner? I want to fly outside, but winter might limit me and my airplane. I also want to fly inside like in a gym because of the winter, but if the super cub is a better plane by far, then forget indoor flying, i'll just suck it up and go in the snow! So please help me.

Buy Slo-V, Super Cub, or JR S400 radio set up and buy different plane??
biphfyt is offline Find More Posts by biphfyt
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2006, 08:22 AM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
I am all for getting the radio set instead. I am well versed in the ParkZone/Hobbyzone radiosystem/electronics package. Lets just say the electronics package is far from a reliable system.

If you do go with one of the RTFs and it happens to be the Slo V then get the upgrade battery pack which is a 7 cell 8.4v 600mah NI-MH pack that is used in the parkzone J3 cub, Get some GWS 11x8 props, and acouple extra prop shafts.

The battery pack I suggested is 1 cell larger then the the stock pack but it gives the model much better and longer performance. It also helps wieght it down just slightly for wind. Also fly it with the wing pushed back. I had mine back as far as it would go. It would climb just slightly at 3/4 to full throttle but it kept it from proposing in the wind. Just gave it better stability.
Rat is offline Find More Posts by Rat
Old Oct 31, 2006, 08:44 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,487 Posts
PZ Super Cub

I used the PZ Super Cub as a tool to get me back into this hobby after about 20 years away. I like you wondered if I should save the money and get a radio, motor, ESC, Battery and a plane to put it all in. The price point for that was high and I didn't know if I wanted to spend that cash up front without testing the waters first. I didn't want to spend a lot for something collecting dust.

I picked up the Super Cub because it looks like an airplane. I like that feature. Also it's a bargain at the 159 I see it for and on-line an extra battery pack is offered at some sites (red rocket and free shipping).

For slow flight I'd get my thumbs ready for the SC by flying an Air Hogs Aero Ace bi-plane in your back yard or park. It will give you the practice of flying a plane toward you (reversed control) and performs the slow stick/V dury of light wind small area flying. Get good with that and the move to the SC is much easier.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:44 AM
Joined Oct 2006
55 Posts
Thanks Guys! I actually have an AirHog Aero Ace right now, and have flown it for a couple weeks or so. It's a blast! But i'm looking to upgrade...

So If I did go with the Super Cub, you think I'd do alright? I have flown before, just a little, but I understand, for the most part, how flying towards yourself, etc. works. Either way, thanks for the help.

I'm just wondering, If I crash, how will the Super Cub end up? (Well i guess in r/c, it's not IF you crash, its WHEN... ) And also, how long will the super cub last me? I'm thinking I'd outgrow the Slo-V very fast and hoping the Super Cub would last maybe a little longer?? Anyway, you guys are so much help, thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:08 AM
Frederick Maryland USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,042 Posts
I learned to fly starting with a Slo V and still think it is not a bad way to go if your flying space is fairly small. However if you have access to a reasonably sized field then the Super Cub seems like a better first plane.
The Slo V is a bit too fragile for a first trainer and starts to have problems as repairs begin to alter it's reliability and flight characteristics.
If you have access to someone who will help you to set up and trim your plane then the 3rd alternative is best in both the short and long term since the equipment can be used in later planes more easily than can the Parkzone components. You might then consider assembling a GWS pico tiger moth -a very slow flyer, not anymore fragile than the Slo V, both easier to fly and more fun, and can be flown in a gym.
Duetto is offline Find More Posts by Duetto
Old Oct 31, 2006, 01:41 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Another vote for the Hobby Zone Cub over the V. The V is a nice plane for indoor flying but it feels way underpowered outside... and as others have mentioned, it is fragile. Also, it really needs (IMO) some mods to make it fly well where the Cub is spectacular right out of the box.

Fly your Aeroace indoors and get the Cub for those rare mild days. You will be happier in the spring.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Oct 31, 2006, 02:35 PM
Crash tester
Texas
Joined Sep 2006
850 Posts
Nice choice on planes.

I would have to say the Super Cub, only because it will handle the wind better. Indoor flying takes time and practice, and unless it's an Airhogs Aero Ace, (no substitutions) then you won't be able to do it as a beginer. Outdoors, you fly high enough, that when you make a mistake (not if, when. everyone does), then you have a long way to fall, and a long time to decide how to recover, then do it and save the plane. Indoors, you have a celing, and 4 walls, you're almost always in a turn to avoid hitting a wall, and if you make a mistake, it usualy ends with the plane coliding with something, like the ground.

If it's the snow you are worried about, put some skis on the Super cub, and fly it all you want. later you can upgrade to Lipo batteries to help fight the loss of power from the cold.

The Slo V is a great plane its self, very much like the Slow stick. Infact, many of the parts can be interchanged. (with a little ingenuity) I fly a hybrid of the two. Slow flying planes are a lot of fun.

When you're sure the hobby is for you, and ready for your next plane, thats the time to decide on a full radio setup. Right now, the technology is shifting to the 2.4ghz. The Spektrum DX6 is the only radio out, but others are coming, and they are so far advanced, you might regret not buying one in a year or so. Waiting to see whats available when your ready for that next palne may be worth it

As for an indoor plane, the Slo V will be great, when you're ready for it, so will the Slow Stick, Pico Stick, Pico J stick, and Pico Tiger Moth (My favorite)
Drunkskunk is offline Find More Posts by Drunkskunk
Old Nov 02, 2006, 06:52 PM
Canton, MI
Joined Sep 2006
125 Posts
Quote:
I'm thinking I'd outgrow the Slo-V very fast and hoping the Super Cub would last maybe a little longer??
Those two planes were in the top of my list. And the above reasoning was the reason I got the SC. I think you can fly SC slow enough to make you feel comfortable, but still have the option for more speed whenever you're ready. And you can upgrade to the 8-cell battery later for even more power. I haven't yet.

The option of picking your own eletronics is a good one. But it depends on what you know about this. In my case, it was obvious I didn't know enough to go this route and I didn't want to keep reading and reading! I wanted to fly asap and keep learning more about building as I go. I'll get my own eletronics eventually, since I'm obviously hooked, but consider that 2.4ghz is coming and you'll have more options soon.

I can't tell if I picked the right choice, but after only 3 flights on my SC, I'm already thinking how I'm gonna keep flying in the freaking cold Michigan winter, specially for a native Brazilian.
waters10 is offline Find More Posts by waters10
Old Nov 02, 2006, 07:01 PM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
Na you will not outgrow the SV. As long as the electronics package holds up the SV is actually pretty fun. I used to take mine up and it would stay in the air for an hour if you learned how to use the wind and thermals to your advantage. It was by far the easiest to learn on and keep learning on. I liked it so much that I purchased a new fuse (mine went in hard due to a radio malfunction) and installed a brushless inrunner in the stock gearbox and some GWS servos. I still fly it when ever I get the chance.
Rat is offline Find More Posts by Rat
Old Nov 03, 2006, 01:48 AM
Joined Oct 2006
55 Posts
Thank you so much to all of you! You have helped me out so much! I'm thinking that as of right now, I'm going to go with the Super Cub. After reading and listening and watching for hours and hours, I've decided that it will serve me best. Thanks again. I'm sure though that soon thereafter I will be looking to get myself into an entire hangar of rc plane artilary! (As if I don't already want 1230958712340987 different planes!?) Either way, thanks. and I'll keep you updates on my noobie progress. I'm sure I'll have more questions VERY soon! Thanks...
Clayton