Old Oct 30, 2006, 06:45 AM
CNC Cutting
Grange Over Sands, Cumbria. UK
Joined Dec 2003
234 Posts
Discussion
Cliff Charlesworth plans

Hi All

I could do with a little help with some market research.

I wonder if all you Cliff Charlesworth plans builder out there would rate his various design for popularity. Have you built them? Have you brought the plan then given up Cliffs designs please, not just the Glider type.

ASK 18
ASK13
Ka8
Grunau Baby 2b
Etc, whatever you think.

Many thanks

Graham
fellside is offline Find More Posts by fellside
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2006, 07:46 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
164 Posts
G,day Graham,

I have built the ASK13 and have a set of his Grunau Baby 2b plans waiting. Very detailed and extremely good scale outline. I wrote directly to Cliff for details about the building of the ASK13 and found him to be very helpful indeed. In terms of "starting, then giving up", anything but. I will admit that I normally build from plans rather than kits and Cliffs plans are top class. If you haven't already seen it, have a look at his book "Scale Model Gliders", this is a fantastic reference for building large scale gliders from scratch, it is available from Traplet Publications.
crowe04 is offline Find More Posts by crowe04
Old Oct 30, 2006, 09:02 AM
CNC Cutting
Joined Dec 2003
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe04
G,day Graham,

I have built the ASK13 and have a set of his Grunau Baby 2b plans waiting. Very detailed and extremely good scale outline. I wrote directly to Cliff for details about the building of the ASK13 and found him to be very helpful indeed. In terms of "starting, then giving up", anything but. I will admit that I normally build from plans rather than kits and Cliffs plans are top class. If you haven't already seen it, have a look at his book "Scale Model Gliders", this is a fantastic reference for building large scale gliders from scratch, it is available from Traplet Publications.
I have Cliff’s book "Scale Model Gliders" and find it very helpful as is the Scale Soaring UK site which features some of the articles from the book.

http://scalesoaring.co.uk/Homepage/Home.html

When I first started Fellside I talked to Cliff about manufacturing Wing rib packs or Short kits (Formers, Jig formers, Ribs etc) for his range of models. This went no further as I became increasingly busy with other projects. I now have time and a willing CAD expert (Thanks Adrian) who will redraw all the components to be cut. They will not just be scanned, they will be redrawn. This ensures everything fits correctly. I talked to Cliff at the weekend and he has given permission for me to go ahead. I hope this will help to increase the popularity of this super range of models.

At the moment the models on the my personal list are

Ka8
Grunau Baby 2b
Ka-3 "Rhönlaus"
MU13-D3

Depending on the response here the list could change.

Graham
Old Oct 31, 2006, 02:51 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
....Parole Revoked - Sentence Extended?

Have you seen my post on this page?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8&page=4&pp=15

So I'm now condemned to convert a single-deck bus and go up to the freezing, wind-swept Welsh Mountains paved with sheep crap, at my age and condition

Good job Mary isn't up yet, looking over my aching shoulder....

Ade
Adrian Britton is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Britton
Old Oct 31, 2006, 03:15 AM
CNC Cutting
Joined Dec 2003
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Britton

Have you seen my post on this page?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8&page=4&pp=15

So I'm now condemned to convert a single-deck bus and go up to the freezing, wind-swept Welsh Mountains paved with sheep crap, at my age and condition

Ade
No No. Apparently these days you get a nice man with great big Tug to pull it off the ground for you. Anyway I’ll do that bit you just stay at that computer

Graham
Old Oct 31, 2006, 04:14 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Short Kit fur Stalag Luft 9.....

Right! I'll get started on that tunnel then

Bye!
Old Oct 31, 2006, 05:08 AM
CNC Cutting
Joined Dec 2003
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Britton
Right! I'll get started on that tunnel then

Bye!
Tunnel NO Glider yes

www.colditz-4c.com/glider.htm

www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/naziprison/glider.html

1/3 scale will do.

Graham
Old Oct 31, 2006, 06:23 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Breakfast - yes! Bed NO!

All that's left of our beautiful guest bed are nails now

MU 13 sounds interesting - the one with a motor anyway?

Ade
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:01 AM
VNE ? I bite my thumb at thee
Shropshire, UK
Joined Jan 2005
507 Posts
Whoot !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellside
When I first started Fellside I talked to Cliff about manufacturing Wing rib packs or Short kits (Formers, Jig formers, Ribs etc) for his range of models. This went no further as I became increasingly busy with other projects. I now have time and a willing CAD expert (Thanks Adrian) who will redraw all the components to be cut. They will not just be scanned, they will be redrawn. This ensures everything fits correctly. I talked to Cliff at the weekend and he has given permission for me to go ahead. I hope this will help to increase the popularity of this super range of models.

Graham
Very Happy to hear this, I started on the Ka3 plan at 1/4 scale and have drawn the formers and metal parts (hoping to get them cnc'd in dural or similar) but it looks like I won't have to bother now !

1/3 scale Ka3 is my 'want' please

Elliot.

edit - just added my CAD files, I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty but I think they're dimensionally accurate, be interested to hear your criticism...
stinkyfive is offline Find More Posts by stinkyfive
Last edited by stinkyfive; Oct 31, 2006 at 10:26 AM. Reason: added CAD files
Old Oct 31, 2006, 01:16 PM
CNC Cutting
Joined Dec 2003
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfive
Very Happy to hear this, I started on the Ka3 plan at 1/4 scale and have drawn the formers and metal parts (hoping to get them cnc'd in dural or similar) but it looks like I won't have to bother now !

1/3 scale Ka3 is my 'want' please

Elliot.

edit - just added my CAD files, I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty but I think they're dimensionally accurate, be interested to hear your criticism...
The Ka3 is a nice "little" model and probably easier to redraw than some of the other designs. Scaling up in CAD is easy, problem then is you have to resize all the material thickness, slots etc. 1/3 scale Ka3 would not be to big a problem. (I see 1/2 scale has been done) But for now at the start of this project we will stick to the Cliffs original 1/4 scale designs.

Cad files.

I thought for a moment that you had published the whole plan in DXF. Not good The parts look fine. I will have to sort out a supply of dural sheet. Any ideas?

Graham
Old Oct 31, 2006, 02:18 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
I don't know when I'de ever get around to it, but I would really like a Grunau Baby. I think I've wanted one ever since Hobby Lobby carried the 1/4th scale kit.

A friend has the Austrian 1/3rd scale kit, but sanity has prevailed so far and I haven't tried to talk him out of it.

Private daydream - I fly a lot of video and am starting to use video goggles. At 1/3rd scale I could probably stick a full sized pellet variometer on the panel and hunt thermals in a fully scale manner.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Oct 31, 2006, 03:36 PM
VNE ? I bite my thumb at thee
Shropshire, UK
Joined Jan 2005
507 Posts
what a CAD !

Quote:
Cad files.

I thought for a moment that you had published the whole plan in DXF. Not good The parts look fine. I will have to sort out a supply of dural sheet. Any ideas?

Graham
Graham, the plans I have are in TCW (TurboCad) format, I have now changed to Autocad though, so DXF was a convenient shared format - if you have a better one then please let me know, it's all semi-guesswork for me !

If I can find a source for dural I'll let you know, I assumed someone like Inwoods would sell it - guess Cliff is the man to ask

I'll be watching this thread eagerly, if I can help at all, please let me know (especially where the Ka3 is concerned).

Elliot.
stinkyfive is offline Find More Posts by stinkyfive
Old Oct 31, 2006, 04:16 PM
ZOB
ZOB
Cranwell village in Lincolnshire England
Joined Dec 2005
98 Posts
Hi Ell I can supply you with as much dural/ aircraft grade alloy as you want, call me
ZOB
ZOB is offline Find More Posts by ZOB
Old Nov 01, 2006, 08:03 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Leaving On a Fretplane!

Quote:
Right - that's a two-view done. What about the sections? Info please