HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2006, 02:54 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
The guys at e-flight line did do a comparison with one of the Himax out-runners and the 2025 ,not sure which one it was, but there is no comparison , the 2025 is a hands down winner.

carfull with motocalc, I have never seen an accurate result out of it yet, just my 2c.

By the way I have ben useing the 2025-5300 6.9:1 and a 12x6sf for a couple of years now and I dont think there is an out-runner in the same weight class the will touch it.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2006, 03:46 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C
The guys at e-flight line did do a comparison with one of the Himax out-runners and the 2025 ,not sure which one it was, but there is no comparison , the 2025 is a hands down winner.

carfull with motocalc, I have never seen an accurate result out of it yet, just my 2c.

By the way I have ben useing the 2025-5300 6.9:1 and a 12x6sf for a couple of years now and I dont think there is an out-runner in the same weight class the will touch it.

Dennis
Is the 6.9 one of the gear ratios included with the mount & gearbox that comes with a 2025-5300?
Major Justice is offline Find More Posts by Major Justice
Old Dec 04, 2006, 05:29 PM
Joined Feb 2006
307 Posts
Just about finished here with mine.

No issues balancing the plane. Balanced at 3 3/4. 1320 3" from wing tube. 2100 3/8" from wing tube.

I'm disappointed in the weight of the plane. Advertised as 28-29 ounces flying weight. Mine comes in at 28.6 with a 1320 TP pro light (2 ounces lighter than the TP 2100), no wheel pants (3/4 ounce) or SFG's (1 ounce). Set up with the TP2100 wheel pants and the SFG's your looking at an 32 1/2 ounce plane.

My Brio comes in at 27.5 ounces with the same set up. I really thought the plane would come in at 25.5 - 26.5 ounces with the TP 1320 and no wheel pants. Advertised weight should be more like 32 -33 ounces.

What is everyone else seeing for weight?
service_dude is offline Find More Posts by service_dude
Last edited by service_dude; Dec 05, 2006 at 04:56 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2006, 05:34 PM
Build, fly, crash. Repeat
Starkville MS
Joined Mar 2006
93 Posts
Major Justice:
The himax gear box comes with 4.4:1, 5.3:, and 6.1:1 ratios. However, I'd advise against this gear box. It sheds gears way too easy. I ditched mine in favor of a Cobri gear box after shredding two gears just running the motor up for watt testing. You can get dang near any ratio you want for the Cobri too.
TLParker is offline Find More Posts by TLParker
Old Dec 04, 2006, 08:15 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf
I would definately look at this over the ME540. The 540 is a nice plane but will be alot harder to 3D than this plane. I have seen the video you are referring to and you have to take into account that that is Kyle W. flying and he is one of the best there is. Every thing he flies, he makes it look good. The setups are virtually identical (480 1020kv, 35+ amp controller, etc.) for the two planes and they both take four servos. I would recommend the HS-55's over the S75's personally.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=HRC31055S

They say Ultra-Micro. Are these the HS-55's?
Old Dec 04, 2006, 08:27 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,344 Posts
Bill K, the slow KE is actually a pro once i thought about it,i'll change that. Tomorrow i'll move the batt back and fly her more,i bet it will hover great once its in the "sweet spot"
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Dec 04, 2006, 10:04 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined May 2004
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Justice
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=HRC31055S

They say Ultra-Micro. Are these the HS-55's?

personally i would go with the hs65 servo.....
p51flyer is offline Find More Posts by p51flyer
Old Dec 05, 2006, 10:53 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Major Justice
What DoctorWack said!! the gear box suplied with the 2025 will not stand up to that kind of power. The cobri can be ordered with any gear ratio that you want. you will need a watt meter to set it up. you are pusing things at this power leval and you need to be sure that your battery and ESC are with in specs, the motor should be fine.

I am flying a 39 oz biplane with a 13x6.5 APCe CC35amp ESC at 6:1 and 355 watts 3s2p 1320 Tp

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Dec 05, 2006, 04:52 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Major Justice
What DoctorWack said!! the gear box suplied with the 2025 will not stand up to that kind of power. The cobri can be ordered with any gear ratio that you want. you will need a watt meter to set it up. you are pusing things at this power leval and you need to be sure that your battery and ESC are with in specs, the motor should be fine.

I am flying a 39 oz biplane with a 13x6.5 APCe CC35amp ESC at 6:1 and 355 watts 3s2p 1320 Tp

Dennis
I thought that the gearbox looked pretty sturdy in the pictures . I guess it all looks good compared to the one that came with my Ultrafly F-16.

Would my batteries (which are rated at 12C) work for something that wants to draw 30 or 32 amps? Someone told me that the 12x6 prop on the stock outrunner suggested would draw near 30, & my batteries are rated for a 27 amp continuous discharge. I'm assuming a 35 amp ESC would do fine, even though e-flite reccomends a 40.

I had no idea the Himax motors were that powerful. Has anyone used a Himax on the Mini Funtana?
Old Dec 05, 2006, 06:31 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
The current draw all depends on your prop choice and gearing. You can tailor it around your batteries. If you do go the geared route...get the cobri like they suggested and I recommend the three spur setup so you can play with ratios to dial it in to match your equipment. The cobri uses GWS 400 size spurs which allow alot more surface area with the pinion and the himax GB spurs seem to be a bit brittle IMO. A couple of heatsinks would never hurt as well.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Dec 05, 2006, 06:38 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf
The current draw all depends on your prop choice and gearing. You can tailor it around your batteries. If you do go the geared route...get the cobri like they suggested and I recommend the three spur setup so you can play with ratios to dial it in to match your equipment. The cobri uses GWS 400 size spurs which allow alot more surface area with the pinion and the himax GB spurs seem to be a bit brittle IMO. A couple of heatsinks would never hurt as well.
I believe I'm going to do the 480 outrunner direct drive. I have planes that I planned on using a Himax, but I've had some unrelated problems recently that assures me I won't mis spend another dime until this summer. Whatever plane my Dad buys me for christmas is the last new plane I'll have for a while, and it's looking like the mini-Funtana X.

If a motor wanted to pull 30 amps, what would happen to my battery?
Old Dec 05, 2006, 07:01 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
If it could not supply the current, the voltage would fall and the low voltage cutoff would kick in. Damage of course could ensue as the battery may be able to supply the current at the beginning of the flight even though you are pulling more current than the battery is designed for. If in doubt...get some new batteries. A 3S apex 2100 is about 40-45 dollars and there are some decent max amps HV batteries for sale in the classifieds at a good price. Assuming you are not punching out of hovers constantly your battery "may" work as you will probably only need about 15-20 amps to fly the plane comfortably, but limited.
Old Dec 05, 2006, 07:02 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Nov 2006
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Justice
If a motor wanted to pull 30 amps, what would happen to my battery?
Well, if you battery was rated at 27 amps, you cna have a few things happen. First of all, becuase you are pulling htat much current out, it may cause your LVC to kick in, making things difficult. Or, it could overheat the battery, and cause that to either become a giant firework or just plane die. Also, it may drastically shorten the life span of your LiPo's. So in a quick answer, get new batteries. You can even get cheap ones at toddsmodels.com. Get the Apex 3s 2100 mAh 15C packs for $35. Great deal, good batteries...
sdueck is online now Find More Posts by sdueck
Old Dec 05, 2006, 07:31 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
As for the servos, I noticed the DX6 is now 200$ with 4 S75s (exactly what horizon calls for in this plane) & a spektrum reciever. I always shyed away from this radio, but at this price it's looking pretty good. It's like paying 100$ for the radio. A 6 channel radio is almost always over 150$ (The one exception being a hitec that Horizon sells also). Have you guys had good experiences with Spektrum radio systems? I often fly on mountain tops where they used to mine, and you can get a model airplane pretty far away (sometimes so far you can't see orientation, just track it from previous movements). I often get carried away taking the plane farther & farther away from me, but no one has given an exact range on this radio.

If you have to buy the radio, it will cost 400$ to build this thing. A sobering fact of model aviation. I know how to setup a plane to fly it with my 4ch radio, but I planned on getting a 6ch radio soon anyway. Are the aileron servos located in the wing, or is the rudder push/pull on this one?

Also, I believe that if I do find a way to get the money for this one, I will most certainly try to use the 2200mAH 12C packs that I have on hand. I may start out with a smaller prop & move up, but I really can't afford new batteries with the price I'm looking at for everything else. If the LVC did interrupt power, since you have to land this plane with some throttle you'd be screwed. Also, it's too good looking compared to other planes to turn into a small camp fire.

I also hate soldering new leads. I never was that confident as an electrician.
Last edited by Major Justice; Dec 05, 2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2006, 09:17 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I rarely bother with using flaperons on my original mini funtana. A four channel system will work. If you are on a tight buget...check the classifieds. You can get a five or six channel system for under $100 bucks pretty easily. As long as the seller is reputable I rarely have problems with new equipment. I like the flash 5 as it is super easy to program but it's faults are it does not have dual rates on rudder and lacks really advanced mixing options. If I was buying servos new (not in a radio set) and had to choose between the S75's and HS-55s I would go with the 55's for sure as they have a greater range of travel (for more control throw) and are just as fast and alot more reliable IMO....cost is the same too.