HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2007, 09:48 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I have run 55's all around from the start. The tail servos are starting to get some play though and for the moment I retired the plane until I could replace them. Alot of the problem is I am using a tail skid and the rudder does not have much ground clearance. Servocity has HS-65's on sale for just under $18 so I ordered enough to outfit the tail on the MFX today.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:09 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2005
323 Posts
New FuntanaX joins the gang...

Well, a new member of the gang - successful maiden yesterday, and 5 flights overall. Very impressed with this one - so, so, much better than the E-Flite Mini Edge 540.

Setup:
- E-Flite Power 10
- APC 12x6
- FlightPower EVO20 2150mAH
- 2 x HS55 (A)
- 2 x HS65 (E/R)

Below are some photos, with my Red Bull inspired scheme.

I can't get over how much better this aircraft is than the Mini Edge 540 - it's like they come from different manufacturers!

Thanks for everyone that has posted here - very helpful indeed.

Boltor
boltor is offline Find More Posts by boltor
Last edited by boltor; Aug 08, 2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:12 AM
I havent decided yet
Indiana
Joined Jun 2006
2,120 Posts
im thinking of bolting one of my power 10s onto mine. i just changed from a 12x6 to a 12x8 prop on my 480 1020kv. it is alot better for me but still lacks that "burst" power that i am looking for
dmiller746 is offline Find More Posts by dmiller746
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:58 AM
Boulder, CO
Joined Nov 2006
9 Posts
Successful maiden flight

Well I put two flights on the Mini FuntanaX yesterday. My initial impressions are:

1. The recommended CG of 95 mm is too far aft for the first flight. My plane was very unstable on low rates at the recommended throws. Inverted flight required no forward stick pressure and even climbed slightly. Perhaps I have an incidence problem. I changed the CG and moved it forward about 5 mm and this helped to calm the plane down.

2. Landing this thing was definitely unique. Forward stick pressure had to be held in order to keep the airplane from ballooning up as it slowed down. I may do some tests in future flights to check the engine thrust angle. Any other thoughts?

3. As mentioned in earlier posts, knife edge tuck to the gear side was pretty severe. I will attempt to mix this out with the radio.

4. Wing rock was pretty bad during Harriers. Maybe this will improve if I add the side force generators. I have also heard that adding a slight amount of spoileons during Harriers will improve this. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks again for your earlier comments, I look forward to getting this plane dialed in.

Jeff
Slope5280 is offline Find More Posts by Slope5280
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:54 PM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Long Island NY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
2,806 Posts
slope,
it sounds as if you have a tail heavy plane. that would most likely cause you ballooning. try moving the CG forward a bit.

anyways,
I got my MFX yesterday!! i was so happy to finally get it. got some work done yesterday: wings installed along with motor, aileron servos, esc and LG. next up is the tail surfaces and electronics. should hopefully have everything ready by friday for a maiden. good looking plane so far except i had an "oops" momeent and spilt some thin CA on my left wing. all it did was smudge a stick, but i should be able to clean that with some acetone.
heligrom is offline Find More Posts by heligrom
Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:55 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2006
560 Posts
how's the 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltor
Well, a new member of the gang - successful maiden yesterday, and 5 flights overall. Very impressed with this one - so, so, much better than the E-Flite Mini Edge 540.

Setup:
- E-Flite Power 10
- APC 12x6
- FlightPower EVO20 2150mAH
- 4 x HS55 (will probably get some better servos for the elevator / rudder)

Below are some photos, with my Red Bull inspired scheme.

I can't get over how much better this aircraft is than the Mini Edge 540 - it's like they come from different manufacturers!

Thanks for everyone that has posted here - very helpful indeed.

Boltor
boltor i just took of a power 10 from my brio10...do let us know how the plane flies with the power10 - IMO the power10 was too heavy for the brio...i love the way this plane flies on my park480 but i wouldn't mind some more punch!

keep us posted, and good luck!

dave
dnorm is offline Find More Posts by dnorm
Old Jun 12, 2007, 04:33 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,649 Posts
Boltor, I too am curious how the plane flies with the Power 10. I may have to sell my 480 and do a little upgrading. Thanks!
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:55 PM
Oakville Canada
Oakville
Joined Sep 2004
64 Posts
Boltor,

How did you remove the Mini Funtana X stickers without damaging the ultracoat covering.

Nice Looking Plane ma man!
januszczak is offline Find More Posts by januszczak
Old Jun 13, 2007, 07:14 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2005
323 Posts
dnorm and Dora Nine - I don't have a good way of describing whether the Power 10 is "better" than the 480. All I can say is that it was easy to fit (I didn't change the mounting arrangement), was not much more expensive than a 480, didn't cause too many issues with the CG (I fitted the receiver further back in the fuse to help balance) and seems to get good reveiws on this forum. I have used a 12x6 and 11x7 with the Power 10, but prefer the 12x6 for more power / less speed. WOT is about 32A, but I seem to use 1/2 to 3/4 throttle mostly.

januszczak - simply picked at one corner and pulled them off carefully - no damage to the ultracoat. thanks for your kind comment. Just waiting for Red Bull to send me my sponsorship payment...

Having done some more flights, I am really pleased with this aircraft. My balance seems spot on, with inverted level flight needing no elevator input. Landings are as simple as I have ever experienced. Harriers seem more stable than with the Edge 540 etc etc. Brilliant...
boltor is offline Find More Posts by boltor
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:52 AM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Long Island NY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
2,806 Posts
WOO HOO!!! my MFX is done! only took about 4 hours total. everything was really simple to get done, considering this is my first plane where i had to do CA hinges (been flying a lot of foamies). electronics dropped in really simply and it was just a really fun and easy build.

i dont have any exact numbers but the airframe with motor, ESC, 2 HS-55's and 2 HS-65's came in around 15 ounces or so. pretty light i think.

i cant wait for a maiden tomorrow!
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:00 PM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heligrom
WOO HOO!!! my MFX is done! only took about 4 hours total. everything was really simple to get done, considering this is my first plane where i had to do CA hinges (been flying a lot of foamies). electronics dropped in really simply and it was just a really fun and easy build.

i dont have any exact numbers but the airframe with motor, ESC, 2 HS-55's and 2 HS-65's came in around 15 ounces or so. pretty light i think.

i cant wait for a maiden tomorrow!
Four hours ? Took me much longer than that !!

I dont know what foamies you've been flying but I'm pretty sure that this will be a whole new flying experience. This plane has felt so much better than my own 3D foamies. I suspect that you're in for a good time tomorrow
netdudeuk is offline Find More Posts by netdudeuk
Old Jun 13, 2007, 01:36 PM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Long Island NY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
2,806 Posts
thanks net....yea, i was wondering why it took me such a short time. everythings in where its supposed to be though. just gotta zip tie the extensions for the surfaces together because its just a huge sloppy mess under my hatch.

i wish it was tomorrow already......
Old Jun 14, 2007, 05:06 PM
Oakville Canada
Oakville
Joined Sep 2004
64 Posts
Thanks boltor...what did you use to get the glue residue off without damaging the ultracoat?
januszczak is offline Find More Posts by januszczak
Old Jun 14, 2007, 06:11 PM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Long Island NY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
2,806 Posts
well the maiden is complete! flew awesome in 10 MPH winds.

did the first flight without the SFG's and it seemed well. i need to add a lot of expo to the elevators. also, it seemed that i didnt have a lot of punch with the 480 (1020 Kv) and a APC 11x7 E prop. i'm gonna try a 12x6 tomorrow and see how that goes. aside from that everything seemed well. harrieres and elevators were awesome and completely wing rock free!
Old Jun 14, 2007, 07:00 PM
Joined Aug 2006
856 Posts
Janu

use goo gone, it works wonders on sticker glue
hemituda is offline Find More Posts by hemituda