SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 07, 2007, 08:09 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
I would say you would take a big weight hit in the tail. The 81's weigh twice as much as the 65's I believe.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2007, 03:13 PM
Joined Jan 2007
45 Posts
I guess the more crucial question is whether these HS-65 and HS-81 servos with their bigger Torque ratings will put a bigger drain on the battery (as I'm running the RX and motor off it - I don't have a seperate Rx batt).

The E-Flite 40A ESC that I got had a warning about not overloading the battery if it is used for RX and motor. I hope these new servos won't cause any problems with the power source.
FOX1 is offline Find More Posts by FOX1
Old May 07, 2007, 03:39 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2006
560 Posts
Fox,

from what i have heard seen about the elfite 40A you will almost certainly have a problem, just attach a bec and this should fix your problem.

I run the align 35amp esc and have had zero problems powering 55's - less power draw though but the plane still flies on rails with em :-)

good luck

dave
dnorm is offline Find More Posts by dnorm
Old May 07, 2007, 05:33 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2006
454 Posts
I use a Phoenix 30 amp, and with Hitec HS-65MG's, I also had BEC problems... went to the external BEC, seemed to cure everything.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old May 07, 2007, 06:26 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
Wow! You had problems with the PH-35 and 4 HS-65's? Hmmm, makes me reconsider a ext BEC. I bought the 35 so I wouldn't have to.
Old May 07, 2007, 08:45 PM
Joined Jan 2007
45 Posts
Hi Guys,

thanks for the feedback on the servos and ESC issue.

Now for my next lot of dumb questions

What is an external BEC?

Which are the good BEC's most suited to this plane if I want to have 2 HS-65 servos and 2 Spektrum DX6 S-75 servos (ailerons)?

Are these BEC's heavy and what do they cost?

Any info from you guys would be most appreciated

Cheers,

FOX1
FOX1 is offline Find More Posts by FOX1
Old May 07, 2007, 09:31 PM
...the wind usually blows
Carbon Creek
Joined Jan 2004
1,564 Posts
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm

Got one in my 6 servo Mini Ultra Stick. Weighs almost nothing, reasonable price. Works great.
av8r is offline Find More Posts by av8r
Old May 08, 2007, 03:55 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined May 2004
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnorm
Fox,

from what i have heard seen about the elfite 40A you will almost certainly have a problem, just attach a bec and this should fix your problem.

I run the align 35amp esc and have had zero problems powering 55's - less power draw though but the plane still flies on rails with em :-)

good luck

dave

i sell 40amp esc to customers all the time with no problems... every now and then, you get the rare burned up esc from some sort of problem, but it is rare.. I am a HUGE fan of e-flite products...
p51flyer is offline Find More Posts by p51flyer
Old May 09, 2007, 12:25 PM
Canada
Joined Dec 2005
201 Posts
Hello Everyone, i crashed my Brio 10, last friday, and right away I bought the MFX, used all the electronics from the BRIO into it,

4 hitec HS55 servos
elfite 40 amp ESC
eflite power 10 motor
thunder power 2100 lipo
berg reciever
It flew great, almost too well, I'm happy with the setup,
From having a few of the old mini funtana I beefed up the area around the motor mount, as well as the landing gear,

Johnny
Toronto Ontario Canada
johnny_0 is offline Find More Posts by johnny_0
Old May 09, 2007, 12:26 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
How do you compare the Brio to the MFX for performance and fun factor?
Old May 09, 2007, 03:57 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2006
560 Posts
i have both planes bildo, the brio IMO is more difficult to fly and is a bit harder to tell orientation which is a problem i typically rarely have...the biro will test your skills and is a blast to fly - it's a bit faster and the pull pull rudder really makes a difference. landing the mfx is also ALOT easier the brio you have to fly it in while the mfx you can float in due to the larger wing area....i have had problems with the landing gear being the weak spot, but i have just bent it back in place every time...

this is as honest opinion as i can give you...it's a blast to fly but will test your piloting skills...

i just got back form lunch a bit ago and was flying the mfx - the weather here in northern va is just perfect for flying...and this plane is just a dream to fly everytiem i bring it out.

dave
dnorm is offline Find More Posts by dnorm
Old May 09, 2007, 04:08 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
I'm liking my MFX more as I get more time on it. I had a bit a slight warp in one wing and after taking it out it really flies well. Just put HS-65s on the rudder and elevator so it reacts a lot quicker/better.
Old May 10, 2007, 08:45 AM
Canada
Joined Dec 2005
201 Posts
I agreee, I have more fun with the MFX than the Brio, - more flight times, easier to land, and makes me feel more confident doing low inverted fly-bys..
yesterday I flew the MFX at a farmers field where the ground was really rough and bumpy i landed numerous times with no damage to the landing gears surprisingly,

Also I experimented with a 10x7 prop, whoa!! talk about speed
johnny_0 is offline Find More Posts by johnny_0
Old May 10, 2007, 08:51 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
I fly a 12x6E but have tried the 13x4E on another plane with the 480/910 motor. It does really well in 3D and speed seemed to be at least as good as 12x6. The airframe is a little more draggy tho.
Old May 10, 2007, 09:53 AM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2006
454 Posts
Sorry, I haven't hit the forum in a few days.... I don't know if I really needed the BEC, but I had replaced the ESC and the glitching didn't go away. After that, I just gutted everything else, re-checked the Deans connectors, added the BEC, etc.. and the problem went away.

My plane wasn't impossible to handle with the glitching, but it certainly was challenging. As well as it floats, I just got it near the runway, cut the engine and glided in (glitching). So, if you're working fine with the Phoenix ESC now, I wouldn't worry too much about the problem.. just address it if it comes.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545