Old May 02, 2007, 09:36 PM
Model Designer - AMA 667982
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Fox1
This may be old news, but if you are new to exponential, you want to dial in negative expo to make it less responsive around the middle of the stick and more responsive as you approach the end of stick travel.

Chuck
Wow Chuck easy with that statement. Depends on what brand radio your flying. On my Futaba it is negative however on my DX6 it is positive. If I remember right JR uses Positive and Futaba uses negative.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2007, 06:55 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,474 Posts
Oops, sorry. Why can't the MFR's get on a standard? Save some confusion?

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old May 05, 2007, 05:45 AM
Australia, WA, Currambine
Joined Aug 2005
302 Posts
Hi chaps

Wippee got my FuntanaX the other day and just finnished putting it together.
This is gonna be a winner.........
I have not read the hole post (so excuse me) but are you chaps landing with or with out flaps or spoilerons.
thanks

lloyd
lloyd 1 is offline Find More Posts by lloyd 1
Old May 05, 2007, 06:44 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,627 Posts
Don't use any flaps except for mixing elevator to flaps for aerobatics. The MFX slows down pretty good and you can harrier it in right nice. Just get her in to the wind and milk it down with the throttle in high alpha.
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old May 06, 2007, 02:12 AM
Joined Jan 2007
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins
Don't use any flaps except for mixing elevator to flaps for aerobatics. The MFX slows down pretty good and you can harrier it in right nice. Just get her in to the wind and milk it down with the throttle in high alpha.
Hi Bildo,

just a quick question for you mate. I've been trying to learn how to hover my MFX, but not being too successful so far. Just wondering if I need to use the Elevator / Flap mix for high alpha flight in order to get the hover working. I'm still practising quite high which makes things bumpier, but I'm not quite ready to come down low into the calmer air to try

One of these days hopefully I'll get it right, but if you have any tips on how to get the hover working well that'll be much appreciated. Today I've moved the CG back an extra 15mm from the recommeded 95mm in the manual. Hopefully this'll help too when I get my next flight in.

Cheers,

FOX1

Best
FOX1 is offline Find More Posts by FOX1
Old May 06, 2007, 07:21 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,627 Posts
The CG is key to the hover or at least making it easier. If you were to hang the battery from the tail imagine how easy it would be. You would have no choice but to hover. Some say a forward CG makes it easier to fly but I disagree on birds of the 3D flavor. I find it easier to fly overall with a rearward CG because it allows the harrier type landings without fighting a nose heavy condition which will make the plane tip stall/snap during slow high alpha and landings. Another key to the hover is having quick effective servos on your elevator/rudder. After putting in the HS-65 Karbonites, I noticed a lot better in control feel to the MFX. Finally what I do is keep things moving all the time so I am totally aware of the effect my control movements are having.
That being said, these are all my opinions based on experience of my own and I do not claim to be a Scott Stoops or QQ by any stretch. I am sure others will have differing info but hope this helps a bit. I ain't great but I'm learning.
Old May 06, 2007, 07:37 AM
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2006
52 Posts
Put some HS-65 servos in the tail this weekend to replace striped out 55's and I agree much better overall control.

Was a heck of a landing with the old servo stuck full down. People thought I was trying to do some "crazy inverted hover" thing. Brought it to about 2 feet off the ground (from about 15) and tried to roll out at the last min because I was drifting to the spectator area... small damage again, but fixed no problem. Two crashes because of a failed servo finally convinced my stubborn arse to upgrade....glad I did.
Naja is offline Find More Posts by Naja
Old May 06, 2007, 07:54 AM
obey gravity, it's the law
USA, IL, Rockford
Joined Nov 2005
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Minton
hoverkid87:

If you have a copy of Motocalc, take a look at the 480's performance with a 4S battery & APC 9x6 or 9x7.5 props. The performance increase is simply huge! The 480 & 4S combination clearly out-performs the E-Flite Park 10 with a 3S battery.

Joe
Will this setup still allow for the 3D flying that this plane is meant for?
I like the slow harrier landings I can get with the 480 and a 12x6 APC, but a little more punch would be great.
Thanks
Flying glass is offline Find More Posts by Flying glass
Old May 06, 2007, 08:05 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,627 Posts
I think you will see more speed with the above mentioned 4S setup but the MFX is meant for 3D/Slow aerobatics. The bigger prop disk is gonna give you better static thrust in a hover and a bit more prop to hang on. If you wanna go fast I am sure that will do it but not so much with this plane.

I am curious what is the amp draw with 4S and the 9x7.5 prop?
Old May 06, 2007, 08:47 AM
obey gravity, it's the law
USA, IL, Rockford
Joined Nov 2005
420 Posts
Quote:
I think you will see more speed with the above mentioned 4S setup but the MFX is meant for 3D/Slow aerobatics. The bigger prop disk is gonna give you better static thrust in a hover and a bit more prop to hang on. If you wanna go fast I am sure that will do it but not so much with this plane.

I am curious what is the amp draw with 4S and the 9x7.5 prop?
That was my thought exactly, I want the slower 3D flight over speed.
Just wanted a bit more punch, planned on checking current draw and trying a 4s with a bit smaller prop. Any thoughts on this idea are appreciated.
Thanks
John
Flying glass is offline Find More Posts by Flying glass
Old May 06, 2007, 12:14 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2006
453 Posts
I got mine out today before the winds got too high... went through 3 lipos, all good, no glitching whatsoever! I'm starting to slide the battery back just a little, maybe 1/4 inch back from its maiden location.. Its a much funner plane to fly, but you do have to keep some pressure on the nose when trying to land. I know you 3d guys are very used to this, but its still all new to me. Very fun to fly, though.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old May 06, 2007, 03:09 PM
Suspended Account
Newmarket,Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2002
968 Posts
those wanting slightly more thurst and a bigger prop disk area might try a 13x4 apc E prop its actualy less load then a 12x6 and has a little more area. only thing ive found is it like flying "in first gear" but the power is a noticable gain. just a thought to try some in this thread use this prop on this set up.
ededge2002
ededge2002 is offline Find More Posts by ededge2002
Old May 06, 2007, 03:17 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,627 Posts
I use the 13x4 on my BH Sabre with the Park 480/910. I like it a lot for 3D and it makes a very distinctive growl on the Sabre. I never amped it out but all things came down cool after much romping. Good to hear it has less load.
Old May 07, 2007, 12:58 AM
Joined Jan 2007
45 Posts
Quote:
The CG is key to the hover or at least making it easier. If you were to hang the battery from the tail imagine how easy it would be. You would have no choice but to hover. Some say a forward CG makes it easier to fly but I disagree on birds of the 3D flavor. I find it easier to fly overall with a rearward CG because it allows the harrier type landings without fighting a nose heavy condition which will make the plane tip stall/snap during slow high alpha and landings. Another key to the hover is having quick effective servos on your elevator/rudder. After putting in the HS-65 Karbonites, I noticed a lot better in control feel to the MFX. Finally what I do is keep things moving all the time so I am totally aware of the effect my control movements are having.
That being said, these are all my opinions based on experience of my own and I do not claim to be a Scott Stoops or QQ by any stretch. I am sure others will have differing info but hope this helps a bit. I ain't great but I'm learning.

Hi Bildo,

I've just been out for a couple of flights (in somewhat windy conditions I must add) and you were spot on - I moved the CG back 15mm from the manual recommendation and I managed to do a couple of decent vertical hovers, even though they didn't last more than a few seconds each .

I found it really hard though to try and leave the ailerons alone - I found myself continually using them to try straighten everything up nice and vertical. I must have clumsy fingers because it's even difficult to move the elevator up and down without having some sideways movement on the stick (you can say it - I'm a big oaf!). There's definitely a knack to the entry speed into the hover and the timing of the up elevator and add power sequence - I can see this is gonna take ALOT of practice

I'll have to try get a calm day (which doesn't happen around here very often) and see if I can try them at lower altitude.

I'm wondering if the 13x4 prop you mentioned above would help with getting more control surface response so that I can make corrections to the hover more quickly? What's your opinion? Failing that, I may have to get a couple of those H-65 Karbonite servos you mentioned.

Thanks for the advice though - It's definitely a step in the right direction .

Cheers,

FOX1
Old May 07, 2007, 03:03 AM
Joined Jan 2007
45 Posts
Quote:
Hi again Bildo,

I've been doing some research on HS Metal Gear Servos for the Rudder and Elevator on my MFX. I can get 2 types locally, viz: HS-65 and HS-81. They're both the same price. The 65's are 6mm shorter and lower as well as being 6g lighter, but the 81's have more torque and are slightly faster. I'm leaning towards the 81's because my current Spektrum DX6 servo on the elevator starts labouring when the elevator passes about 30 degrees, so maybe the extra torque will whip up to max deflection and help with 3D.

What do you think mate?

Cheers,

FOX1