SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:39 AM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,488 Posts
I put a 500 watt motor in mines and it is crasy cool!
DoctorAudio is online now Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:57 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio
I put a 500 watt motor in mines and it is crasy cool!
Have you flapped the tail surfaces off yet? What motor you running?
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:02 PM
Joined Jan 2007
45 Posts
Hi Guys, I've just bought a MFX with all the recommended gear and accessories. I'm using a Spektrum DX6 radio set for it. I just wanted to know whether there's any special process I need to go through to program the E-Flite 40A ESC, or can I just switch the Tx on and connect my Hyperion LiteStorm 1800mAh 3S 20C LiPo and fly? I obviosuly want to be getting the full 275 Watts out of this puppy with the 12x6 prop on it. I read the instruction sheet that came with the ESC but it doesn't go into detail about setup apart from if you want to switch off the BEC and Motor Brake(whatever those are???). I presume I don't want to do that - not sure. As you can tell I'm fairly new to the electric scene (used to fly petrol until I recently "saw the light") . Any help would be greatly appreciated . Cheers, FOX1
FOX1 is offline Find More Posts by FOX1
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:18 PM
...the wind usually blows
Carbon Creek
Joined Jan 2004
1,564 Posts
I've flown that ESC on my Katana Mini for well over a year without changing the defaults.
av8r is offline Find More Posts by av8r
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:29 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2006
454 Posts
How the heck do you get a Katana Mini to last over a year? That was the hardest plane to fly that I ever had... I never got the CG just right, wound up pancake-ing it trying to land. I almost quit flying over that plane!!
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:20 PM
Carbon Creek
Joined Jan 2004
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyn3545
How the heck do you get a Katana Mini to last over a year? That was the hardest plane to fly that I ever had... I never got the CG just right, wound up pancake-ing it trying to land. I almost quit flying over that plane!!
I think I remember some of us over in the KM thread trying to help you with that. I don't know. Mine's a sweetheart. It had its faults (like lots of twists in the airframe), but for the most part, it is the smoothest flying plane I have. It's my go-to plane if conditions are questionable.

Glad you didn't quit.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:08 PM
Joined Jan 2007
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r
I've flown that ESC on my Katana Mini for well over a year without changing the defaults.
Hi av8r,

thanks for the reassuring words about the ESC. So I take it that you're getting max power out of your motor without changing any settings for the ESC? I just have my Tx Throttle stick set on closed and connect up the battery - the ESC then gives me 2 beeps (almost like a text message sound on the old mobiles used to). Does this then mean that when I run the motor to full throttle, that I'm getting max power out of it for the battery and prop combo that I'm using?

Cheers mate,

FOX1
FOX1 is offline Find More Posts by FOX1
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:37 PM
Carbon Creek
Joined Jan 2004
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX1
Hi av8r,

thanks for the reassuring words about the ESC. So I take it that you're getting max power out of your motor without changing any settings for the ESC? I just have my Tx Throttle stick set on closed and connect up the battery - the ESC then gives me 2 beeps (almost like a text message sound on the old mobiles used to). Does this then mean that when I run the motor to full throttle, that I'm getting max power out of it for the battery and prop combo that I'm using?

Cheers mate,

FOX1
I would assume so, never looked into it. My Torque 2830-1095 has always produced plenty of power, so I never considered looking for more. I just tried different props and chose one or two with the most power that wasn't too much for the components to handle.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 01:13 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemituda
At least you can fly somewhere. I have to dodge baseball players on a field ( or really wait until there are no games) to fly. The only other option is to drive 1.5 hrs to go 26 miles in L.A. traffic to fly with at least 100 other people at the local flying site. There is nothing wrong with having to be a bush pilot.

Oh, I wasn't trying to be insulting. I'm sorry you have to go through so much trouble to fly. I admire you dedication though! I couldn't imagine having to wait my turn to fly amongst 100 people. On a busy day my club has maybe ten flyers-five is the average. Thats enough for me.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Apr 19, 2007, 01:25 AM
Joined Aug 2006
856 Posts
No offense taken here. I wish I lived somwhere where I could drive down the road a mile or two and fly off that same road. I don't mind what I have to go through but I would like to retire to a flying friendly area. If the model mfgs keep up the new airplanes I will not be retiring anytime soon.

Keith
hemituda is offline Find More Posts by hemituda
Old Apr 19, 2007, 07:22 PM
Paul Teesalu
Goleta, CA
Joined Aug 2006
253 Posts
Yea this hobby is really making my wallet empty.. I know that I am only 13 and dont have any money but it stinks, I have to work my butt off over the summer and than waste it all on airplanes back on topic- I flew my MFX today and it went great exept for the part that I broke my prop. I was about to land and than I got a glitch, the airplane jumped down broke the prop and that was all! I got lucky, even the landing gear was ok.

Paul
ss2p is offline Find More Posts by ss2p
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:33 PM
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Apr 2002
650 Posts
I went back to check older posts, but I never got a clear answer to the following question: Does the MFX fly well at 32 oz. with the park 480? And by well, I mean it can do the standard 3D moves.

Dave
david_r2ese is online now Find More Posts by david_r2ese
Old Apr 19, 2007, 09:48 PM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
yes climbout is pretty good out of a hover here at sea level. it does pretty much any 3d move or just float around
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans
Old Apr 19, 2007, 09:50 PM
Suspended Account
Newmarket,Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2002
968 Posts
ive flown it @ 30oz and its pretty good. punch out is ok not si-fi but is good. flight times with a 12x6 are over 10min easily (actualy usualy fly 14 min before landing and have never hit cut out)
ededge2002
ededge2002 is offline Find More Posts by ededge2002
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:52 PM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
finally got a new cam, heres some pics. almost hit my friend because he kept following me when i was trying to get some space. was about 1/2 foot from his face but im gald nothing happened
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans