HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2007, 09:36 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,668 Posts
Mine is coming along nicely. Just waiting for ESC(CC-35) to show up in the mail box and I need to get a "X" mount for the 480--the guy I bought it from no longer had it. I'm really impressed by the speed of the HS-65's I have in the tail. With little luck and some decent weather, I should have it up in the air later this week.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2007, 10:00 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2006
560 Posts
dora,

you will love the 480...the fun x really moves with this motor...only problem is the plane is eerily quiet...i have a hard time noticing my LVC alert...the fun x is an AWESOME plane!

dave
dnorm is offline Find More Posts by dnorm
Old Apr 01, 2007, 10:26 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,668 Posts
Thanks, it's my "round two" of trying aerobatic planes(I like to fly mostly scale warbird types). I think "round one" was a bit early--in the flying skill level sense--I had a PA Mini Katana. Nice plane, but mine was underpowered and I didn't have the thumbs for it. Now with round two, I bought the Funtana X and an EF Yak. The Yak is in the mail and should be here by Wednesday. We'll see.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Apr 02, 2007, 08:18 AM
Flying with a "higher power"
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Dec 2004
423 Posts
mecevans -
When I visit your area (2 times a year) I fly at the Carmel Middle School 4380 Carmel Valley Road, Carmel CA and never have had a problem on the weekends. They have a small cinder track for a runway and a soccer field with no goals to hit ;-)
Check it out
rarner is offline Find More Posts by rarner
Old Apr 02, 2007, 09:20 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,993 Posts
Minor incident report. After flight 50 something I noticed something weird while flying on Saturday, that the landing gear bolts were loose. Really didn't think nothing of it as everything else seemed secure. So, took it out again yesterday morning and was finishing my first flight and thought I heard a buzzing sound at WOT. Past it off as nothing and landed to change batteries while my brother flew his Formosa. OK, fresh pack and I go to taxi and the left wheel won't roll. Something Wrong! Seems the lock nut had vibrated loose. I returned home discouraged that I couldn't get my second and third flights in for the day and decided to look the plane over while replacing the 2-56 lock nut. Removed the cowl and then hatch. Wing bolts needed 2 turns to bring them tight and the bolts in the motor mount needed a turn and a half all four. Holding the plane before indicated that nothing was loose. Moral: After around 25 or so flights its time to check everything again just to make sure something is not coming loose.
starcad is online now Find More Posts by starcad
Old Apr 02, 2007, 01:39 PM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
fixed! just used some ca and epoxy and still flys great
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans
Old Apr 02, 2007, 09:01 PM
USA, NY, Brookhaven
Joined Mar 2003
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcad
Minor incident report. After flight 50 something I noticed something weird while flying on Saturday, that the landing gear bolts were loose. Really didn't think nothing of it as everything else seemed secure. So, took it out again yesterday morning and was finishing my first flight and thought I heard a buzzing sound at WOT. Past it off as nothing and landed to change batteries while my brother flew his Formosa. OK, fresh pack and I go to taxi and the left wheel won't roll. Something Wrong! Seems the lock nut had vibrated loose. I returned home discouraged that I couldn't get my second and third flights in for the day and decided to look the plane over while replacing the 2-56 lock nut. Removed the cowl and then hatch. Wing bolts needed 2 turns to bring them tight and the bolts in the motor mount needed a turn and a half all four. Holding the plane before indicated that nothing was loose. Moral: After around 25 or so flights its time to check everything again just to make sure something is not coming loose.

You might want to check the prop for blance!
An unblance prop can cause things to loosen up!!
Rickc
RickC2009 is online now Find More Posts by RickC2009
Old Apr 02, 2007, 09:03 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,653 Posts
Flew the MFX again today. little too windy but had blast. Everything still in one piece to.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Apr 02, 2007, 10:24 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2006
454 Posts
Well, I had a chance to go to the hobby store today... got a new speed controller... it didn't fix the glitching problem. I tried one of my spare receivers, an old 6-channel JR FM, and all seemed to be fine. I'll get it out to the field for a proper range check and flight test soon.

What kind of flight times are folks getting with the E-flite 480/10/280 and Castle 35 amp ESC?

Just sitting it on the ground, full throttle and running the servos lightly, I'm only getting about 7 minutes... I haven't had a problem getting 10 while flying, I certainly don't fly full throttle the whole time, but I was suprized how quickly the system reached the 9-volt cutoff.

I've got HS65MG's for servos, so my draw is a little higher than most.. maybe I should go with an external BEC also, but the Castle 35 is rated at a full 3 amps.. should be plenty.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Last edited by reyn3545; Apr 02, 2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2007, 03:57 PM
Suspended Account
Newmarket,Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2002
968 Posts
"What kind of flight times are folks getting with the E-flite 480/10/280 and Castle 35 amp ESC?"

if your talking the 480/1020 reyn my buddy has his timer set at 14 min and never hits cut off before landing.
ededge2002
ededge2002 is offline Find More Posts by ededge2002
Old Apr 03, 2007, 05:15 PM
USA, NY, Brookhaven
Joined Mar 2003
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ededge2002
"What kind of flight times are folks getting with the E-flite 480/10/280 and Castle 35 amp ESC?"

if your talking the 480/1020 reyn my buddy has his timer set at 14 min and never hits cut off before landing.
ededge2002
14 minutes of what???
How is the timer setup? Is it just as timer started before each flight and turned off after or s that slaved to the throttle stick at what percent?

rickc
RickC2009 is online now Find More Posts by RickC2009
Old Apr 03, 2007, 06:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2002
968 Posts
just a timer it beeps ...he lands.... mixed flying over the time with climbs some hovering some other 3D work.
ededge2002
Old Apr 03, 2007, 06:54 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2006
454 Posts
Depressed.... after swapping out the ESC and receiver, I was testing on the ground with a 12x6SF this afternoon.... and burned up the Park 480. I guess I should have checked the max output of the ESC before I ran the engine to full for too long... it was about 2 minutes into testing, not ALL at full throttle, but probably half the time was there. All of a sudden.. the dreaded plumes of smoke from the engine box. No "warning" smell, just smoked it. Hindsight... put the freekin watt meter on the plane before you slam the throttle.

I think I may mount my Saito 82 in this thing and see how fast I can pile drive it. Me and electrics just haven't gotten along lately.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old Apr 03, 2007, 07:13 PM
Maryland
Joined Jan 2003
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumb
Im putting one in the elevator for the extra throw. also going to move the wing back 3/4'' and cut 3/4'' off the nose. this plane flys great out of the box blenders and ke spins no problem but I want them tighter.
Brad
Brad, How did mounting the 81's work - is there enough material there to enlarge the servo holes? I'm considering one of these, and I have a bunch of 55's and 2 81's that if I could use sucessfully, it would make the cost a lot cheaper. I do have some 65's, (in a T-Rex) and they are great servos.

Also hope to use a Hacker A30-16M and CC35 that is currently in a Mountain Models Etana - I just can't keep the warps out of the control surfaces on the Etana, and that's my reason for considering MFX.

Has anyone flown both the MFX and Etana?

Andy S.
avsjr is offline Find More Posts by avsjr
Old Apr 03, 2007, 07:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2002
968 Posts
cough cough! under NO circumstance should a 12x6 sf prop be used on a 480! ive just got one question....what were you thinking doing that when the motor specifies a 12x6E prop? having troubles with electrics is an excuse for not following directions.
ededge2002
im sorry for your loss (realy i am) but you must be more carefull in the future