SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:33 PM
Paul Teesalu
Goleta, CA
Joined Aug 2006
253 Posts
Yes its the Eflite 480 1020. It really pulls it around with TP extreme pack.
ss2p is offline Find More Posts by ss2p
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2007, 03:02 AM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Justice
Backyard Flyer loved the Brio. Everyone I've talked to hated it. They all had the same problem with how the linkage pulled the long aileron control surfaces. That's probably a problem that appears after some wear though, and reviews are mainly first hand impressions.

What did they say though? I'm curious now.
Nothing much, a blank negative column (I honestly can't remember the last plane to have anything in that column), the opening paragraph reads like the brochure: well built...exceptional flying qualities...many improvements...wing area...tapered thickness...SFGs...low speed maneuverability...Park 480...flys like the big guys.
The body of the article reads like the instruction book, which may be helpful if you don't already own the plane to see what you are getting into. Otherwise it's the same old attach horizontal stab, use bigger wheels without pants for grass and install motor/esc/rx...
The flight report reads like the other side of the brochure: 20%expo...takeoff...10 feet...plenty of power...controls well balanced...low rates...pattern ship...crisp handling...very capable precision and 3D plane...isn't designed for beginners...pleasure to fly.
The author did mention that there is a noticeable tuck toward the gear in knife edge. That's about the only thing that can't be found on the box.
You would be better served reading this entire thread and forgetting half of it than looking to these articles for useful info. I don't know why I keep buying the magazine, all the info I could ever need is in this site. I guess I need something to look at if the power goes out.
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Old Mar 17, 2007, 08:58 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8VTEC
I don't know why I keep buying the magazine, all the info I could ever need is in this site. I guess I need something to look at if the power goes out.
What would we read in the bathroom. I have started to enjoy reading the AMA mag now that they've pertied it up and got a few new contributors. Electrics are well represented too.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:18 AM
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Nov 2006
1,456 Posts
Got a quick (but I'm sure stupid) question; When I'm giving up/down elevator, it results in a minimal deflection but then suddenly it turns into a sharp up/down deflection? Almost like it doesn't want to change until the angle of attack is so much that lift becomes "deflection" off the top/bottom of the wing. It does this in low or high rates. I'm using 30% expo and there was a slight breeze this morning. Thanks Eric
missle is offline Find More Posts by missle
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:26 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,725 Posts
Not sure what you're describing. Is it a mechanical issue or aerodynamic reaction in the air? Hope that makes sense. I would look at your radio programming and make sure you had no slop in the linkage.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:29 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,725 Posts
Sounds almost as if you are experiencing pitchiness which may be a result of CG position.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 11:37 AM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2006
454 Posts
I agree with Bildo... try moving your battery about 1/2 inch forward. I had the same problem after the initial CG was set. Moving the battery forward cured all my evils.

Also, check your transmitter and be sure you set the expo in the right direction. You shouldn't see much difference at 30%, but if you have the curve set backwards (positive instead of negative, or visa versa) at a higher expo rate, you'll see exagerated surface movement with little stick movement at either the beginning or end of your stick travel. Most computer radios have a visible curve on the screen so you can see the result of stick movement.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old Mar 18, 2007, 09:10 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2006
454 Posts
Having radio problems with the MFx.... I have a JR 9303 and the receiver in this plane is an old Hitec Electon 6 FM receiver. The last 2 times I went to the field, the first flight went well, then on the second flight, the receiver starts glitching all of the control surfaces whenever I'm airborne. I tried it on the ground also, seems to get very jumpy above about 1/2 throttle. I've never seen this on an electric, but now its happened two weekends in a row.

My hobby store didn't have any JR R720 receivers last week, I'll check back until they do... until then, the mini is grounded. Its been a good plane. Got it for Christmas, not a scratch on it, which is rare for me.
I'd hate to trash it because of a flaky receiver.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 09:30 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,725 Posts
Make sure the receiver/antenna are nowhere near the ESC or any CF materials.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 09:47 PM
...the wind usually blows
Carbon Creek
Joined Jan 2004
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyn3545
Having radio problems with the MFx.... I have a JR 9303 and the receiver in this plane is an old Hitec Electon 6 FM receiver. The last 2 times I went to the field, the first flight went well, then on the second flight, the receiver starts glitching all of the control surfaces whenever I'm airborne. I tried it on the ground also, seems to get very jumpy above about 1/2 throttle. I've never seen this on an electric, but now its happened two weekends in a row.

My hobby store didn't have any JR R720 receivers last week, I'll check back until they do... until then, the mini is grounded. Its been a good plane. Got it for Christmas, not a scratch on it, which is rare for me.
I'd hate to trash it because of a flaky receiver.
Could be a lot of things besides the rx. You might also try swapping out some other things if you have them, like the rx crystal, the transmitter, the ESC, even the battery pack.
av8r is offline Find More Posts by av8r
Old Mar 18, 2007, 09:49 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2006
454 Posts
yeah, that shouldn't be a problem.. the ESC is on the motor box, and there's no CF in the plane. Its very strange, but I guess just a coincidence that both weeks the first flight was without a glitch, but on the second, it started almost immediately. Both times the flights were at least 10 minutes apart. No other radios on near me, etc.. If it doesn't resolve the problem, at least switching to SPCM will make me less paranoid.

Last week I swapped out batteries, removed and reinstalled the crystal, checked the servo leads, all the usuall stuff.. no answer.

Maybe its the ghost of Sam Walton... the field we fly in is about to be coverted to another stinkin Wal-Mart super store. The silt fence went up this past week, now bulldozers sit right beside our runway.. I wish I had a P.O.S. plane to kamakazi with!
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:20 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2006
560 Posts
did you radio check? any potential interference nearby? powerlines?

dave
dnorm is offline Find More Posts by dnorm
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:23 PM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
to bad you didnt contact ama and see what they could have done, it probubly wouldent matter anyways because the city wouldnt care about 1 rc flyer over how much money they could get from the store. were i live thier building 1 million kb homes and the city didnt care, they just aproved it even though thiers only going to be 3 parks, so now i have to drive 50 miles to the nearest good park.
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:31 AM
Flying with a "higher power"
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Dec 2004
423 Posts
reyn3545 -

I had a host of radio problems as well. At a local park I'd get glitching but then go to another and be twitch free. It wouldn't twitch on the ground with the motor running when I range checked it. I switched out recievers, servos, ESC's and couldn't resolve. Finally, I replaced the spring (with a rubber band) that holds the two wings together(at the rear of the wing) and put in a PCM receiver and that finally fixed the issue. Not sure which of the two changes fixed it. But that spring stretching in flight near an antenna and the perhaps electromagnetic noise at a park near me was causing some funky interference. Drove me nuts for 2 weeks before got it right.
rarner is offline Find More Posts by rarner
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:57 AM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
how much expo is everyone useing?
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans