HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2007, 04:48 PM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
that sucks, im gonna go and use thread lock on the screws now! i didnt think of putting it on the ez connectors but i did on everything else
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2007, 05:04 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
wow! this just saved my plane, mythe landing gear was extreamly loose! one more takeoff or landing would have made it pop off!
Old Mar 14, 2007, 06:50 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,634 Posts
I typically use blue thread lock on all my screws, bolts and ez-connectors. It doesn't help much when you do a slam and go like I just did with the MFX. Wind was gusty and turbulent but I just couldn't help myself.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:43 PM
Joined Aug 2006
856 Posts
I lost two airplanes in the same manner and vowed to never use those dreaded rods and screws again. So I came up with this. http://www.precisionrcproducts.com/images/web_2.jpg

It takes a bit longer to set up but is worth the time when you don't lose an aircraft due to a loose screw.
hemituda is offline Find More Posts by hemituda
Old Mar 15, 2007, 01:54 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnorm
Major,

sorry to hear bout your experience...this plane went together like a dream for me (6-8 hours if i recall correctly), what happened with your firewall, sounds odd...did the screws not thread correctly? it takes some force to rip those out...this plane is worth the effort if it's costing you some, from take off to landing and everything in between, this plane flies rock solid.

dave

All of the screws are stripped silver up to the point that I got them into the blind nuts. It seems that the blind nuts that came with the motor are exact to the ones on the MFX, so I assume the screws are the culprit. I've ordered some 4-40 x1/2 screws from Tower Hobbies, and I'll try them with the 4 good blind nuts that came with the motor. I broke a balsa spoke off of the top X on the firewall construction (Holding pliers through the skeleton to hold the blind nuts), but CA seemed to fix it. I'm also working on an Edge 540, so I'm not in a tremendous hurry to get either done.

The MFX i the first step I've took up from 25 amp setups on my electric ARFs. Neither of my current batteries were rated high enough, and I've always used e-flite's 25amp esc that already had connectors installed. I had never soldered model aircraft electronics, and to sum it up I still don't have the connectors on the ESC & battery (I understand the process. I just need some solder with flux, or a better heat source. The Horizon blue connectors need to be hotter to melt to solder that came with my iron). This plane was a Christmas present from my dad & grandma, so I will surely finish it, no matter how many problems I have. It 3Ds easier than all the others on FMS too, which matches the reports from here, and something that you ae better at provides more fun. I'd say that's why everyone loves this plane so much.

Here's a link to the MFX FMS model. I'm sure it's a bad representation of the plane (You have to set weird parameters to make a 3D model on FMS like making the plane weigh less), but it comes with & without SFG's, and FMS is a free simulator.
http://www.rc-sim.de/dl_engine/files...untana%20X.zip
Major Justice is offline Find More Posts by Major Justice
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:32 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
just heard that the mfx was reviewed in backyard flyer. im gonna pick up a copy to see what the review is
Old Mar 16, 2007, 12:36 AM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecevans
just heard that the mfx was reviewed in backyard flyer. im gonna pick up a copy to see what the review is
I'll give you 3 guesses on what they said...
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Old Mar 16, 2007, 01:04 AM
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
it sucks
needs more rudder
im hungry
Old Mar 16, 2007, 02:08 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8VTEC
I'll give you 3 guesses on what they said...

Backyard Flyer loved the Brio. Everyone I've talked to hated it. They all had the same problem with how the linkage pulled the long aileron control surfaces. That's probably a problem that appears after some wear though, and reviews are mainly first hand impressions.

What did they say though? I'm curious now.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 06:58 PM
Paul Teesalu
Goleta, CA
Joined Aug 2006
253 Posts
I just flew mine ... Here is the whole flight no cut outs... This time I flew more funfly rather than 3d but you can still see a eye level hover and a couple of inverted and upright harriers:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=mini+edge+540
ss2p is offline Find More Posts by ss2p
Old Mar 16, 2007, 07:02 PM
Paul Teesalu
Goleta, CA
Joined Aug 2006
253 Posts
oops sorry I posted wrong link its this one:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...mini+funtana+x
ss2p is offline Find More Posts by ss2p
Old Mar 16, 2007, 07:05 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,634 Posts
That was entertaining but I missed the eye level hover. The landing definitely made it worth watching tho.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 07:10 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,634 Posts
Very nice. Were you flying to the music. I gotta load my mp3 player and do some flying to the music. Been meaning to do that forever.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 07:13 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss2p
oops sorry I posted wrong link its this one:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...mini+funtana+x

Is that with the E-Flite 1020kv outrunner?
Old Mar 16, 2007, 07:40 PM
...the wind usually blows
Carbon Creek
Joined Jan 2004
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins
Very nice. Were you flying to the music. I gotta load my mp3 player and do some flying to the music. Been meaning to do that forever.
Be careful. Last time I did that I was surprised by an LVC!
av8r is offline Find More Posts by av8r