1,358 Posts
i heard that the s75's dont have great centering
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:15 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2006
150 Posts
Yeah, I notice it in my rudder most. After moving it left or right, it's kind of a toss up as to whether it comes fully back to center or is off to the left or right by a few mm.
Shinigami is offline Find More Posts by Shinigami
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:17 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,633 Posts
I like the S-75 and have not had any major failures as others have reported but they do have a bit of slop and are nowhere near the power/speed of the HS-65.
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Mar 13, 2007, 08:31 PM
glue can fix anything
USA, GA, Stockbridge
Joined Mar 2006
174 Posts
I'm up and flying

32.5 oz with an Align 2100 3cell. 12X7 master airscrew. You can see my quick and easy rudder fix. 6mm Depron, After reading complaints about tucking to the gear in knife edge, I added more rudder to the top. hoping this will help to cure that. All I have to do now is learn how to do a Knife edge. Out of 10 landings +-, I only knocked the spinner cap off twice. Flew the first battery to cut off. (first time I have ever done that) must have been enjoying it.
mjljr is offline Find More Posts by mjljr
Old Mar 13, 2007, 08:57 PM
Joined Dec 2006
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Does anyone know of a reason to not use HS-81 servos in the MFX? I have some that need a home and I don't want to spend a hundred bucks on servos if I don't need to.

Thanks,

Chuck
I don't know if the 81s would fit. look at thier size in comparison to the reccommended e-flight S-75's or the HS-65's.

The HS-81 is
Length: 1.17" (29.8mm)
Width: 0.47" (12mm)
Height: 1.16" (29.6mm)

and the S-75 is
Length: .90" (23mm)
Width: 0.45" (12mm)
Height: 0.94" (24mm)

Also, mjljr, how is the power with the rimfire you are using, and what was your average flight time? I am debating using the 35-30-1450 or the 35-36-1000.
rx20040 is offline Find More Posts by rx20040
Last edited by rx20040; Mar 13, 2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 10:01 PM
Joined Aug 2006
856 Posts
mjljr,

Be careful with the hyperion wheels as if you land to hard they may break the spokes.

I read on another thread that they making stronger ones but I don't know if they are out yet.

How do you like the master airscrew? I liked how quiet it was.

Keith
hemituda is offline Find More Posts by hemituda
Old Mar 13, 2007, 10:09 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined May 2004
1,328 Posts
hs-81 are too large for this plane. the best servo you can probably buy for this plane is hs-65
p51flyer is offline Find More Posts by p51flyer
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:24 PM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
whats the weight diff of the hs 81 to 65? i say its fine . i had to enlarge the servo pockets to get the 65's to fit
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:04 AM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
The HS-81 is an 18G servo I believe...about twice the weight of the recommended servos. I think you would do best to look for something smaller as you may butcher the plane trying to get them to fit.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:42 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,633 Posts
You would definitely have to butcher the plane to get them in and they would be terribly heavy. You would have plenty of torque tho.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 07:42 AM
glue can fix anything
USA, GA, Stockbridge
Joined Mar 2006
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemituda
mjljr,

Be careful with the hyperion wheels as if you land to hard they may break the spokes.

I read on another thread that they making stronger ones but I don't know if they are out yet.

How do you like the master airscrew? I liked how quiet it was.

Keith
The master airscrew is nice and quiet. with my good battery im pushing 380watts. the airscrew does not seam to bend FWD as much as an IPC prop under that much load. ?? could be an illusion to my old eyes.

I have had a set of hyperion wheels on my Mini Pulse for several months now. 1 out of 10 landings I would call smooth. 5 of 10 are in the impact range. (the first landing and bounce are pretty hard, the second landing and bounce, not so bad. the third landing it stays down and rolls out) with the beating they have taken, it was a no brainer to put them on the funtana also.

They also wont flat spot like the factory wheels do.
mjljr is offline Find More Posts by mjljr
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:10 AM
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2006
52 Posts
Lost my mini funtana. The culprit was the elevator servo wire fastener slipping I had shrink tubing and ca as backup but alas this was not enough.

Was finally getting the hang of the plane when I noticed loss of elevator control. Tried for a landing but she lost all up elevator.....still kicking myself for not rolling her on her back and using down elevator to land. I am going to put a bend in the wire from now on.

Is there a more secure connection then those stupid Allan head screws?
Naja is offline Find More Posts by Naja
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:10 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,633 Posts
Coulda KE'd her in too but if your like me you probably don't think that quick when the poop hits the rotary oscillator. Sorry to hear that.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 01:10 PM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja
Lost my mini funtana. The culprit was the elevator servo wire fastener slipping I had shrink tubing and ca as backup but alas this was not enough.

Was finally getting the hang of the plane when I noticed loss of elevator control. Tried for a landing but she lost all up elevator.....still kicking myself for not rolling her on her back and using down elevator to land. I am going to put a bend in the wire from now on.

Is there a more secure connection then those stupid Allan head screws?
That fear is always in the back of my mind when I fly any plane I remotely like. I took a quick survey of my fleet and every plane uses them on the servo end except for my Stryker. I have been using blue thread locking compound on the screw with 100% success so far. I have thought of putting bends in the wire in case of failure but haven't actually done it yet.
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Old Mar 14, 2007, 02:12 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,477 Posts
The very same thing cost me my Mini Ultra Stick. The EZ connector came loose on the elevator pushrod and it went into a pine tree, Total loss.
I'm now dubious about using them, but I really like the convenience.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck