HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2007, 08:13 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2006
150 Posts
I picked up one of these yesterday and got a couple flights in today. Wow, nice airplane! Really impressed with the looks and the build. I like the thick fiberglass used on the cowl and wheel pants. Now I need to put the carbon rod supports on which I forgot about. I'm thinking this will soon become my favorite.
Shinigami is offline Find More Posts by Shinigami
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2007, 08:58 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2006
560 Posts
shini, this is one of the best flying airplanes i have in my fleet of seven planes...flies on rails, is predictable, can handle just about any maneuver and is just a joy to fly, glad you enjoyed yours as much as i do mine! are you flying with or without the SFGs?

dave
dnorm is offline Find More Posts by dnorm
Old Mar 11, 2007, 09:25 PM
Paul Teesalu
Goleta, CA
Joined Aug 2006
253 Posts
I flew mine with SFGs and I must say, it gets better and better. Low level hovers, harriers, KE, all the rolls (rolling harriers, four points, slow rolls) were improved. Only thing I noticed is that inverted harriers had alot of rock with them.. Without them, inverted harrier is rock free..
ss2p is offline Find More Posts by ss2p
Old Mar 11, 2007, 09:40 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2006
150 Posts
I flew mine with the SFG's. I'm gonna try without them next time. I also noticed inverted harriers had a bit of rock with them on. Everything else seemed really nice. My cg was a bit forward too, so we'll see how it does with it moved back some. Extra hour of sunlight now, so that means more flying time
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:42 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
I've not messed with the plane since the day I started building it (Popped the metal molly screws out of the firewall). I just decided to take the time to remove the screws, and they are stripped silver up to where I got them in.

Electric ARFs are a real pain in the ass. I can't recall the last time I had any extensive trouble building a glow powered one.
Major Justice is offline Find More Posts by Major Justice
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:52 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2006
560 Posts
Major,

sorry to hear bout your experience...this plane went together like a dream for me (6-8 hours if i recall correctly), what happened with your firewall, sounds odd...did the screws not thread correctly? it takes some force to rip those out...this plane is worth the effort if it's costing you some, from take off to landing and everything in between, this plane flies rock solid.

dave
dnorm is offline Find More Posts by dnorm
Old Mar 12, 2007, 09:20 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,988 Posts
Mine went together like a dream also in 4 to 6 hours. I have an AXI in mine and the screw lined up perfectly on the mount. I totally agree this plan ROCKS not sure if I want to fly anything else at this time. I do like the Brio however it is a little to fast for where I fly.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:37 AM
Joined Nov 2005
12 Posts
Maidened mine yesterday. Prob wasnt the best conditions for a maiden. Wind was 5-10 and with the SFGs on the wind would push it around quite a bit it seemed. I am using the Park 480 1020Kv and wasnt blown away by the power, but that may have been a battery issue (I have a new battery on the way for this plane). I got 2 flights in; first flight I landed with no issues. 2nd flight I tried to get cute and let the plane land itself (hands off the sticks, it was coming in really smooth) but heading into the wind it dropped down too hard and ripped the landing gear out (which, is no surprise... it's an E-flite plane afterall). So, my day was done after that.

I was really hoping for a calm day to maiden, but I got a little impatient and decided to get it in the air in less than perfect conditions (for me, anyways), so I am reserving comment on how well this plane flies until I can get a few more flights in (and in less wind).
clenaghen is offline Find More Posts by clenaghen
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:48 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I'd have to say the landing gear and landing gear plate is much stronger in the MFX than the original MF. I dumped mine out of a harrier in some tall grass and it held just fine.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Mar 12, 2007, 04:19 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2006
150 Posts
Another couple flights today on mine. Tried it without the SFG's. I think it will take a few more flights before I decide which I like more. Without them, it felt lighter in the air. Blenders and inverted harriers were better. Upright harriers had more rock. Knife edge wasn't really that bad, just a little more unstable with more tuck and it needed more rudder/throttle for a steeper angle of attack to hold altitude. Really liked it though. So, basically same results as everyone else. I will probably keep the SFG's around for practicing harriers and KE, and leave them off the rest of the time. Either way, this plane rocks!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 06:55 PM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC2009
If i remember correctly it is at 4 inches.
Rickc

its 3 1/2
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans
Old Mar 13, 2007, 04:32 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,556 Posts
Does anyone know of a reason to not use HS-81 servos in the MFX? I have some that need a home and I don't want to spend a hundred bucks on servos if I don't need to.

Thanks,

Chuck
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Mar 13, 2007, 05:00 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Does anyone know of a reason to not use HS-81 servos in the MFX?
Chuck

Other than extra weight, I don't see a negative. Plenty of torque.

I just slid a HS-65HB in for my rudder and man what a difference. Fast and plenty of rudder now.
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Last edited by bildo baggins; Mar 13, 2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 05:36 PM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
for some reason my hs 65hg's buzz at the end of the throw. anyone else get this problem? i heard they changed the solder in the electronics and allot of them are acting strange
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans
Old Mar 13, 2007, 05:59 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2006
150 Posts
I get buzz on mine as well, but they are S75's. I probably used too much CA on the hinges or something as they are a little stiffer than I would like. Will be changing them out to HS65's eventually.