Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:19 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
1,999 Posts
What papasmurf said. I agree. Well, except for the little Cessna. It's, well, not their best effort in my opinion.

I like GP planes becuase of the Monokote, if they don't have it I tend to say away.

I'll be in line when the X shows up. I have two MF's that I have really liked, although one likely will go away when this new version shows up.
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2006, 02:53 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
1,999 Posts
FYI, Atlanta Hobby has these in stock.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 03:31 PM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,146 Posts
How does the plane balance? Does it tend to be tail heavy with servos in the tail? I'm building mine with the 480 and was thinking of going with Fut s3110 for the higher torque (and weight) of the s3111. I heard the s75 don't have the best centering.
IH8VTEC is online now Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Old Nov 27, 2006, 06:29 PM
Team Futaba
Rochester New York
Joined Oct 2004
947 Posts
Well guys I saw the Mini Funtana X fly at the JR indoor event and had to get one ! So I ordered one today. Looks like a great airplane. For equipment I am going with an AXI 2808/24, Jeti Spin 33 amp, Thunder Power 3 cell 2070 Extreme pack, JR 285 servos and an AR6000 receiver. I will post pictures when it arrives.

Devin McGrath
Devin McGRath is offline Find More Posts by Devin McGRath
Old Nov 27, 2006, 06:46 PM
Joined Nov 2006
4 Posts
The only problem I saw with the mini funtana & mini edge was the landing gear ,both the
underbody and the carbon fibre .The fairly easy solution is to beef both up . I renforced
the inside with a few pieces of balasa and coated these with very light fibreglass, the carbon fibre gear was replaced with aluminium .What a difference! I just hope the new mini funtanaX has these problems corrected .I think a lot of the problem is that some flyers don't think. What would you do before ARF's ?These Eflite products are great, but you have to be able to adapt to your own flying conditions.
falconer1950 is offline Find More Posts by falconer1950
Old Nov 28, 2006, 09:42 AM
Joined Jan 2005
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomer
A little yellow note came with the manual that says:

"IMPORTANT NOTE:

We have found during continued flight testing the possibility of a rx/servo current overload to the BEC in the speed control, causing the motor and radio to shut down in flight......."

They continue to say that they recommend the use of a separate BEC or receiver pack and switch, and to switch the BEC on the ESC off.

Not sure if they are speaking of their E-Flite speed controllers or others. They note that the E-Flite S75 servos have a lower current draw than some other higher current draw servos.
If anyone has more information on this, I would like to know more. I don't want to go with a separate BEC or receiver pack. I would like to use an eflight controller, due to cost. I would only go with a CC controller if I thought there might be a current overdraw issue (is the CC better for this?).

I planned on using hitec hs-65 servos, I like the hs-55 but I am concerned about the low torque rating in such a large 3D airplane. If I mixed 55's and 56's, which surfaces would be best to use the 55's on?

Malcolm
malcolmm is offline Find More Posts by malcolmm
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:09 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmm
If anyone has more information on this, I would like to know more. I don't want to go with a separate BEC or receiver pack. I would like to use an eflight controller, due to cost. I would only go with a CC controller if I thought there might be a current overdraw issue (is the CC better for this?).

I planned on using hitec hs-65 servos, I like the hs-55 but I am concerned about the low torque rating in such a large 3D airplane. If I mixed 55's and 56's, which surfaces would be best to use the 55's on?

Malcolm
I am running 2 HS-56's and 2 hs-65mgs and a power 10 on the eflite 40 amp esc and have not had a problem in my EF extra so far---- however just to be sure I ordered one of these recently:

www.dimensionengineering.com

The park bec--18.99, or 19.99 for the 6v

I have one in my EF yak running 4 HS-65mg's on an airboss esc and have had no problem.

To me its worth the know thats nothing going to go wrong in flight.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:39 AM
Model Designer - AMA 667982
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,929 Posts
Well guys, mine arrived yesterday via USPS and in excellent condition. Power will be an E-Flite 480, Cc 45 amp esc and polyquest 2100 2c lipo pack. Unfortunately, I had to go to work protecting the internet and solving problems for everyone in the Charlottesville, VA area.

Anyway, plan on opening it here in a few minutes and if I can find that camera of mine I will take some pictures and post. Should be flying by the weekend.
starcad is online now Find More Posts by starcad
Old Nov 28, 2006, 02:19 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I really haven't had any problems with the 55's in planes this size. I have them in my mini funtana and edge and they have never had any problems. I also have them in my mini katana which is virtually the same size as the MFX and heavier and have never had any problems there as well. If you are worried though I would look at the park BEC someone posted a link too as it is cheap and light weight insurance.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Nov 28, 2006, 03:04 PM
Team Futaba
Rochester New York
Joined Oct 2004
947 Posts
The other option (if you do not already have a speed control) is going with one of the new Jeti Spin 33 amp controller like I did. It can handle up to 7 servos and can handle a servo draw of 3 amps. It is also a switching regulator like the Park BEC from DE. The spin controller also has a lot more to offer with programmability and in flight data recording.

Devin McGrath

Jeti spin controllers
Devin McGRath is offline Find More Posts by Devin McGRath
Old Nov 28, 2006, 03:26 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
1,999 Posts
Mine is on the way. Can't wait. Need to survey everyones input for servos and motor. I know I have a E-F 480 and a 10. But, may not have the servos needed. I have quite a few EF 75's, but I think this needs something a wee bit heavier duty.

FYI, that note that's now included with the plane all started with the E-F Cub. They must think that everything is at risk. Or simply do not want to be at fault if there is a issue.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 06:26 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I have become quite partial to the GWS naro pro's. I know I may get flamed for mentioning GWS, but I have had nothing but good experience with them in a .25-.30 size pattern plane on the ailerons and in my EF yak as well. The torque specs are identical to the HS-65's, they weigh about 1-2g more, and can be had for less than 1/2 the price of the 65's. I am not sure how they fare as far as how much current they pull as I have never used the 65's but I have been using a phx 45 in those setups along with some larger servos in the tail with no problems.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 06:46 PM
Joined Feb 2006
307 Posts
The note with the plane does state extreme high temperature days. I used the 20 and 40 amp e-flight speed controllers with 4 HS-55 all summer long and never experienced any issues. I just did a amp draw test on a stalled HS-55 and it was just around .4 amps, all servos moving no stall the amp draw was .5 amps. I would imagine the 40 amp e-flight speed controllers are weak when it comes to BEC amp rating. My guess would be 1.5 amp rating. I wish I could confirm this but e-flight does not publish the BEC amp rating in their literature.

If this is something your concerned with or your using higher torque/current draw servos than the HS-55's or the E-flite 75's go with the CC 35 or above, they have a 3 amp BEC rating.
service_dude is offline Find More Posts by service_dude
Old Nov 28, 2006, 06:49 PM
Husband, Dad, Skydiver, RC'r
United States, NC, Waynesville
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf
I have become quite partial to the GWS naro pro's. I know I may get flamed for mentioning GWS, but I have had nothing but good experience with them in a .25-.30 size pattern plane on the ailerons and in my EF yak as well. The torque specs are identical to the HS-65's, they weigh about 1-2g more, and can be had for less than 1/2 the price of the 65's. I am not sure how they fare as far as how much current they pull as I have never used the 65's but I have been using a phx 45 in those setups along with some larger servos in the tail with no problems.
These?
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...4&pid=A0790262
Bill K. is offline Find More Posts by Bill K.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 06:51 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
There has been mention before about the BEC ratings of the e-flite controllers. Supposedly the V2 I think has a bigger BEC but I do not think they are as large as the 3A models from CC.