HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:41 PM
Joined Jan 2005
21 Posts
Major J, are talking about making hinges out of the tape ala foamies or do you want to seal the hinge gaps. To seal the gaps, I just buy clear packing tape and use that. Works fine up to and including my 28% Cap 232.
cwstufft is offline Find More Posts by cwstufft
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:11 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwstufft
Fatcat, the covering is Hangar-9 Ultracote. The blue is Deep Blue (HANU873). Red is red and white is white. Has anyone had any luck attaching the stock spinner to the Park 480 motor w/o having to resort to a Dubro or other spinner? If so, in what order does the back plate, prop, prop adapter, and prop nut go on?
So far, this has been a very easy build, but by no means a budget aircraft (like I told the wife it would be), with all the electronics and everything. One of my wing fillets is about 1/8 inch shorter than the other, I might just pull back the covering and trim the long one a little.
cwstufft, thanks for the covering info! I tried to use the kit spinner, but even after using the spacers with the spinner, I couldn't get the front of the prop to mate with the back of the spinner. I used the following assembly order: prop adapter, prop, two spacers, spinner back plate, prop nut and then spinner. Basically, my backplate warped when I tightened down the prop nut and I could get the spinner to lock onto the backplate. In the end, I gave up on the kit spinner (even thow it's light) and went for an easier off-the-shelf solution.

Jim
fatcat220 is offline Find More Posts by fatcat220
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:14 PM
Plano, TX
Joined Nov 2006
2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsasaki
Jim,

For covering, I searched through my old box of covering and I believe the red, blue and white were Topflite Econokote. It's not a perfect match, but it's pretty close.

I'll try to be at RSA tomorrow morning.

Ron
Hi Ron, if you haven't already seen it, check out cwstufft reply on the covering. I will also try to be out there in the morning. I'll have my two other planes with me. Hope to see you and your MFX!

Jim
fatcat220 is offline Find More Posts by fatcat220
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:27 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Nov 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwstufft
Has anyone had any luck attaching the stock spinner to the Park 480 motor w/o having to resort to a Dubro or other spinner? If so, in what order does the back plate, prop, prop adapter, and prop nut go on?
I used the stock spinner, with the EFlite 480 and the included prop adapter. I trimmed the spinner a bit to fit the prop without making the spinner twist. I will post picts when I can get batteries for my camera. Anyways, I went with the prop adapter shaft thing, then the backing of the prop adapter. Just as you would install a prop without the spinner. Then I put on the prop, and then the thicker of the two spacers included with the spinner. I reemed this out as well as the spinner to make it fit. I then put the back of the spinner on, and the last piece of the prop adapter on next (the pointy part that would be the last thing you put on without the spinner). I found it was a pain to tighten the prop adapter with the cowl on, but if you hold hte can on the motor, and the prop, and then tighten the prop adapter, you will be fine. I then put hte spinner front on, and it all fit. I will try to post pics soon, but all I did that would need pics is the trimming of the spinner backing. I used the same drillbit I used to reem out the spacer and backing, and just put it in the corner where the prop hits without hte spacers.
sdueck is offline Find More Posts by sdueck
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:37 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
Joined Nov 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Justice
Do you guys think that this hinge tape would work well?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJGT1&P=7

I'd like to order the building materials I still need from the same place (T-Pins, Hinge Tape & Hook & Loop Tape.) Tower Hobbies has all three, but I'm not familiar with Aileron Tape, and it seems like the tape would increase the resistance that the servos would have to overcome. With the high angle deflection this plane needs to 3D, I just wanted to take a little extra precaution when dealing with the hinges. What tape has worked well for you guys?
Don't use hinge tape! Use the hinges provided. They work fine, especially when you have large throws like you wil on this plane. I have found that hinge tape is really annoying, and have even stopped using it on my Zagi's. So, for my sake, use the hinges. They make the hinge more precise, and straight, IMO. And as far as T-pins and loop tape, firstr off, I don't know what Loop tape is, and I just built my MFX completely, per the instrustions. As far as the T-Pins, I skipped that step too. I have found if you place the hinge where you need it in one of your surfaces, then hit it with a tiny bit of thin CA, and it will stay. When it dries in a few seconds, put the two pieces together, and arrange to make them line up right, and then hit both sides of the hinges with CA. It worked real good for me. All my hinges move freely and are perfect. So IMO, don't order that stuff from Tower hobbies.

My entire list of stuff used was as follows...

Mini FuntanaX ARF
Park 480
Eflite 40 amp ESC
Male deans connector for esc
solder and soldering iron
Thin and thick CA
5 minute epoxy
electron 6 reciever
4 hs-65 servos
2 24" servo extensions (18" ones will work)
2 12" servo extensions (6" ones will work)
a little bit of fiber tape to hold things in place (like reciever wire)
velcro (to hold battery in place - ESC and reciever held with the velcro included with the plane)
obvious tools, like screw drivers, allen wrenches, pliers, scissors, hobby knife, drill bits, etc.
4 4-40 1/2" bolts to hold on the SFG's (for some reason I didn't get any in my kit

I think that sums it up... I may have forgot a thing or two...
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:53 PM
Hatboro, Pa
Joined Aug 2006
120 Posts
I put a 1 1/4" DuBro foam tail wheel yesterday. With the stock MFX main wheels w/ wheel pants, and the new tail wheel this thing is awesome taking off and landing from the grass. I found that the tail wheel was too small and narrow. Now with the 1 1/4" DuBro wheel, its larger and wider, and it fit onto the stock tail wheel rod with no mods.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAZD5&P=7
S76 Mech is offline Find More Posts by S76 Mech
Old Dec 29, 2006, 01:04 AM
EDF Addicted
United States, FL, High Springs
Joined Sep 2005
5,450 Posts
ok guys FINALLY put a HS-65 on the rudder. flight tests tomorrow
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Dec 29, 2006, 01:17 AM
They will soar on wings..
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
sdueck,

Your MFX looks great - but your weather isn't cooperating, I see.

Ron
rsasaki is offline Find More Posts by rsasaki
Old Dec 29, 2006, 02:46 AM
I Wish I Was Flying...
Joined Nov 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsasaki
sdueck,

Your MFX looks great - but your weather isn't cooperating, I see.

Ron
If only you knew about our weather here... We had a blizzard that gave us about 2.5 feet of snow a week or so ago. Now we are stuck with another blizzard that we are currently int he middle of. It is supposed to yield about 2 more feet. We already have at least a foot, if not more, and it is supposed to keep smowing until Sautrday morning...
Old Dec 29, 2006, 08:53 AM
What, Me Fly?
Lakeland, Fl
Joined Feb 2004
161 Posts
Good build Sdueck! I like the canopy. I hope your weather improves!!!!! I used to live in SD and I don't think I would ever be able to fly unless I lived here in FL.
wing1 is offline Find More Posts by wing1
Old Dec 29, 2006, 02:56 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jun 2003
593 Posts
Major,

I would order that tape to seal the hinge gaps. Use the normal CA hinges but I recomend that you seal the hinge gaps on ALL your planes. Makes everything more precise and you will never have to worry about flutter. That tape is plyable so it is much easier to use than a packing tape or the like. Just MHO but one shared throughout the hobby.
SQUARE ROOT is offline Find More Posts by SQUARE ROOT
Old Dec 29, 2006, 04:03 PM
Husband, Dad, Skydiver, RC'r
United States, NC, Waynesville
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdueck
If only you knew about our weather here... We had a blizzard that gave us about 2.5 feet of snow a week or so ago. Now we are stuck with another blizzard that we are currently int he middle of. It is supposed to yield about 2 more feet. We already have at least a foot, if not more, and it is supposed to keep smowing until Sautrday morning...
And now you know why I moved to the south. I was born in Craig and grew up in various parts of CO. I left there about 15 years ago and don't miss the snow one bit. Anyway, all that said you need some of these and then you'll be all set!

http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...d=DUB830/101.0

Just kidding, stay warm, it will change in a day or two. It always does out there.

BK
Bill K. is offline Find More Posts by Bill K.
Last edited by Bill K.; Dec 29, 2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 05:09 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2006
454 Posts
Man, you gotta be REAL dedicated to flying to strap those things on...

I saw a post on some site several weeks ago, it was a transmitter "glove"? Looked like a pair of mittens stitched to an open "box" area for the radio. Users had reported that it kept the hands very comfortable, bu tI'm like you, Bill... I'll take the Georgia winters every time!

BTW, where do you fly in the Snelville area.. Stone Mountain?
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old Dec 29, 2006, 05:56 PM
Husband, Dad, Skydiver, RC'r
United States, NC, Waynesville
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyn3545
Man, you gotta be REAL dedicated to flying to strap those things on...

I saw a post on some site several weeks ago, it was a transmitter "glove"? Looked like a pair of mittens stitched to an open "box" area for the radio. Users had reported that it kept the hands very comfortable, bu tI'm like you, Bill... I'll take the Georgia winters every time!

BTW, where do you fly in the Snelville area.. Stone Mountain?
Not in over a year. I got into skydiving and left the AMA for a while and let my membership there go. Mostly I just fly in the park or now down in Thomaston where I skydive at. That's actually the best place in the world for me to fly, there is a TON of room and nobody else around to have to mess with. Awesome place to jump at too. Great people, very fast plane, can turn 10-14 jumps in a day if I'm up to it.

Here is some video that you might get a kick out of. In #61 you can see the airport below us and that's where I'm flying RC at.

Tony is trying to get me to come up and fly with those guy's up 85 a bit. I probably will once the Katana that I'm building is finished up. I need a good video of it.

BK
Bill K. is offline Find More Posts by Bill K.
Last edited by Bill K.; Dec 29, 2006 at 06:03 PM.