Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:43 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemituda
I wonder what they're suggesting for the pa katana

Eflite Power 10 and a 2100 TP or a 20c pack of your choice.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:00 PM
Joined Aug 2006
856 Posts
what is the equivalent hacker an a30 16m or 12m?
hemituda is offline Find More Posts by hemituda
Old Nov 13, 2006, 08:43 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemituda
I wonder what they're suggesting for the pa katana
PA Thrust 30, its a new motor designed by PA, and its build around the katana md, so its going to be the perfect match for it, power/balance.
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 19, 2006, 05:26 PM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
Hey guys,

The new Mini FuntanaX is a whole new plane over the original Mini Funtana. A bunch more wing area, tapered thickness airfoil are just a few of the changes. It is a 3D machine all day long.

Interesting reading about the Brio 10 here. Now where do we advertise it as a 3D machine. Never have and never will. It is advertised as an artistic pattern ship (a blend of precision aerobatics and 3D)(this comes from QQ himself). The Brio doesn't 3D all that well and was not designed to do that. When we do set them up for 3D it is with a Park 480 1020Kv, and a 1320 Pro-lite. This keeps the weight down to 28 ounces. The Power 10 and 2100 will add close to 4 ounces to the bird, definetly a no-no in the 3D world.

I am not sure what the problems are on the quality issues that are mentioned as well. I haven't heard any issues on the Brio 10, MUS, and such. I am open to listen and help improve the products to come in the future. I am guessing someone might have an issue with small warps on the control surfaces, but an iron or heat gun will take care of that. And I will say the parts are all jigged and built straight, but when the wood and covering travels 10,000 miles on an ocean through humidity and temperature changes, light built structures with iron on covering change a bit. It is inevitable.

Hope you guys who have bought the Mini FUntanaX enjoy it. I know we love the ones we have at the shop.

John Redman
Horizon Hobby
JetCat USA
BVM
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
Old Nov 19, 2006, 05:46 PM
Pasadena, CA
Joined Jun 2003
3,182 Posts
No one has any funtanaX for sale yet, including horizon hobby...

Or am I missing it?

Don
derway is offline Find More Posts by derway
Old Nov 19, 2006, 06:11 PM
Joined Aug 2006
856 Posts
John,

Thanks for the info. I have never encountered any of the quality issues that were mentioned. I indeed like the covering that the horizon models have on them. They are very easy to shrink after their long trip. I think the only thing that people are concerned about weight and if you guys got it down they will be singing prasies and I can't wait to get my mini funtana x.

Keep up the good work.
hemituda is offline Find More Posts by hemituda
Old Nov 19, 2006, 07:55 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Agreed...horizon is cranking out alot better designs than GP I think at the moment. I know ultracote may not be the lightest covering available but it is easy to work with and simple to match at the LHS unlike the wrinkle prone chinese covering some of the GP models are using. The hardware with the horizon ARF's is for the most part entirely useable and hassle free. I also think you do a great job of listening to complaints/improvements when updating a model such as the switch to aluminum gear, more wing area, and a thinner airfoil (which seems to be the trend).
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Nov 19, 2006, 09:42 PM
zaksdad
USA, TX, DeSoto
Joined Apr 2006
477 Posts
Got to say some people will complain just to complain you know.When I want to fly a relaxing and fun plane I fly my very durable (except for the landing gear) MUS with a e flite 480 when I want to 3d I fly a 3d plane (epp revolution) I guess my point is fly your plane in a manner that its designed for.
zaksdad is offline Find More Posts by zaksdad
Old Nov 20, 2006, 03:05 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined May 2004
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derway
No one has any funtanaX for sale yet, including horizon hobby...

Or am I missing it?

Don

we just got them in our shop this week. They look great. Much better looking with the color scheme and stuff like that! The look I give a 9 to.. it will be interesting to read flight reports from others!

John, do you recommend the 480 for 3d flying? what battery u using
p51flyer is offline Find More Posts by p51flyer
Old Nov 20, 2006, 04:13 AM
Joined Jun 2006
56 Posts
I had a issue with the quality of my canopy on my Brio. Cracks easily, and could be built a little sturdier. It flys great however and is one of my favorites. I like Eflite planes, and will probably get the Funtana X too, as soon as it arrives.
jcflyrc is offline Find More Posts by jcflyrc
Old Nov 21, 2006, 01:38 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined May 2004
1,328 Posts
yea i am really thinking about getting it. Should be a fun plane! Looks like a snappy bird. (Just what i am looking for!)
p51flyer is offline Find More Posts by p51flyer
Old Nov 21, 2006, 02:07 AM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,337 Posts
I just got the Mini FuntanaX in my store today. Looks much nicer than the original and seems better built. The landing gear is aluminum, the fiberglass wheel pants and cowl are thicker than before, the battery hatch is awesome and is held down with magnets and a steerable tail wheel is standard. Love the graphics and removable side force generators. Wish I had time to build and fly one, but the store is a demanding mistress.
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Nov 21, 2006, 08:32 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined May 2004
1,348 Posts
Quote:
My GF's mini ultra stick? Blah, if you like the best of no worlds maybe. It wont 3D well, yet is too heavy to bea fun touch n' go machine.
Well, I guess different strokes for differn't folks...I have the MU and it is my "Ol' Faithful". I currently have about 8 planes in flying condition in my shop, anywhere from a 35% Aeroworks 260 down to cheap foamies, and the MU has more flights on it than all of them combined (gotta be pushing 200 flights)!!! No, it's not a 3D monster, but I can harrier-roll mine and can torqueroll it from 20 feet up and slide it all the way down to the deck within inches of the asphault - it is just about the easiest plane to torqueroll in my entire fleet, including my 35%er, and no, I am not tailheavy. That is about the limits of its 3D ability, but practically all other "3D" stuff is just stick-slamming anyway. This plane is awesome to do rolling maneuvers with, too! Rolling loops, patterns, tight rollers, etc are a blast! And, as for being too heavy for touch and goes, I disagree. Proper equipment choices will get you down to about 21 ounces, and I do 5+ various forms of touch-and-go maneuvers per flight with mine because they are so fun and easy.
Like I said, though, differn't strokes...
Bodywerks is online now Find More Posts by Bodywerks
Old Nov 22, 2006, 05:44 PM
Husband, Dad, Skydiver, RC'r
United States, NC, Waynesville
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
Almost bought one or two today. These sure do look nice, I mean really nice!! I'm out of town for the holiday and was at the LHS here and they had two of them and both almost went home with me. Had I not promised my wife that I would not and that I would let her get me one for Christmas, I would have though. I opened one box up and spent a good 20 or 30 minutes going through it piece by piece. Very, very nicely done EF. I hope my wife was able to get me one because if not; I'll be disapointed.

RC is my secondary hobby now so I hope this one really lives up to the promise, because it sure looks promising anyway.

BK
Bill K. is offline Find More Posts by Bill K.