HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2006, 07:00 PM
Joined Sep 2006
134 Posts
is anyone using an Axi motor, if so what kind?
Trexflyr is offline Find More Posts by Trexflyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2006, 07:28 PM
Hatboro, Pa
Joined Aug 2006
120 Posts
I am, I got my Maiden in yesterday + 4 flights, and today I flew almost all day. I am using an Axi 2808/24, 12x6E APC, Electrifly 30 amp ESC. The Axi has alot of low end torque, but I think I might try a different prop to get a little more top end speed. I am not a plank guy so this is all new to me. Maybe an APC 11x5.5E...

Rick
S76 Mech is offline Find More Posts by S76 Mech
Old Dec 10, 2006, 09:21 PM
Kentucky
Joined Sep 2006
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K.
If your making that sort of an investment, you should go ahead and invest in a good charger my friend. Probably a new battery or two as well.
Yeah really. I needed a better radio most of all though. The plane wouldn't fly without the rest of it, and I can get it up into the air with what I have right now. The charger is still working good, it just takes an hour to charge 2V.

Has any used The Celectra charger they try to sell you with everything? I could get one of those & TP 11.1V Li-Po for a little over 100$. I think the TP batteries just require you attach a battery connector, which I have some. Is there any soldering involved in making the output lead compatible with an e-flite ESC?
Major Justice is offline Find More Posts by Major Justice
Last edited by Major Justice; Dec 10, 2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 09:25 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,274 Posts
have a new video soon,but not much better,i haven't been flying like i used to lately
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:05 AM
Joined Jan 2005
458 Posts
I'm trying to decide what servos to use for my mini funtana x. I've got lots of hs 55's. Eflight recommends the S75, which is very similar to the hs 55 (about 2 oz more torque). My alternative would be the hs 65.

So my question is, do you think the hs 55 is enough for this plane? I'm trying to save a bit of weight, cost isn't so much an issue. Also, since there is discussion about the BEC on the eflight 40A being marginal, I don't want to go with more servo than is necessary.

Malcolm
malcolmm is offline Find More Posts by malcolmm
Old Dec 11, 2006, 01:32 PM
They will soar on wings..
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmm
I'm trying to decide what servos to use for my mini funtana x. I've got lots of hs 55's.

I wouldn't use the HS-55's on the rudder or elevator. I think HS-65's or HS-56's are good choices - they center very well and are reasonably fast. HS-65's would be bullet-proof, IMO.

Ron
rsasaki is offline Find More Posts by rsasaki
Last edited by rsasaki; Dec 11, 2006 at 01:54 PM. Reason: added info
Old Dec 11, 2006, 01:36 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,274 Posts
defintely use AT LEAST a hs-56,when flying yesterday i did a bunch of hovering and got into a sticky situation a few times from the servos not being responsive enough to rudder(s75)
Old Dec 11, 2006, 02:11 PM
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
A liitle more flying

Got in 3 flights this morning and did a little more tweaking. I upped the low rate aileron to 60% and the preliminary aileron differential adjustment is at 8%. The MFX is great for practicing rolling circles - very smooth response to rudder and stable at slower speeds. I do wish it would snap faster and have tighter flat spins. Also, the KE loops wanted to roll out at the top and required some pitch and roll input to maintain the loop. Still very enjoyable at 9 flights total.

Ron
Old Dec 11, 2006, 03:32 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jun 2003
593 Posts
Mustang,

I flew my MFX three times this weekend and noticed it fell out of hover to the sides quite a bit more than I would like. I am using HS65's in the tail. I am just thinking this may be the size of the rudder more than the servo. That said I would still recomend the 56's in the tail. 55's or s75's are fine on aileron.

I like this model every bit as much as the MF but I did not get it as light as I would have liked with the Axi 2808/24 for power. I think I may enlarge the rudder so I can get high alpha knife edge; if I can't achive this by moving the CG back. I have only flown it so far with the recomended CG.

Mike
SQUARE ROOT is offline Find More Posts by SQUARE ROOT
Old Dec 11, 2006, 04:07 PM
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
Mike,

I agree about the rudder - that was my impression as well after the maiden flight. I'm thinking about rebuilding the SFG's to make them smaller (Just can't get used to them on the wingtips) and enlarging the rudder. Hey, why weren't we involved with the prototypes so these problems could be avoided??

Ron
Old Dec 11, 2006, 05:24 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jun 2003
593 Posts
Good question Ron

I made my EF Katana rudder larger by stripping the covering on the edges and just adding light balsa. Simple, quick and gave me the feling I was looking for on the rudder.

Mike

P.S. I just cant bring myself to use SFG's on any aircraft
SQUARE ROOT is offline Find More Posts by SQUARE ROOT
Old Dec 11, 2006, 05:27 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,274 Posts
hmm,so it's not the servo, interesting. What's funny is that knife edge spins are very responsive yet hover isn't. weird. Still love the plane though. Oh also my axle came apart so now i hand launch
Old Dec 11, 2006, 05:42 PM
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUARE ROOT
P.S. I just cant bring myself to use SFG's on any aircraft
The SFG's work, but they are UGLY. But my 6 year old son loves them because it makes the MFX look like those Star Wars TIE fighters.

Ron
Old Dec 11, 2006, 07:05 PM
Joined Sep 2006
134 Posts
Does anyone know if the Axi 2808 will need any modifications to the firewall or will it just screw right in?
Trexflyr is offline Find More Posts by Trexflyr
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:08 AM
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
Rudder hack

Well, here's a quick and dirty attempt to improve the rudder response in hover. I simply glued on a 1/8" sheet balsa piece to the rudder TE and covered it. It's crude, but I am curious to see if it has any effect, and it's easy to remove.

Ron

p.s. Yes, I did seal the elevator hinge line...