HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:32 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
388 Posts
I think the best way to land is to first fly with the SFGs. They not only add rudder authority but also greatly increase high alpha stability (i.e. really really benign stalling behavior - no tip stalls). Then practice harrier flying. You will need max 3d throws (max physical deflection without binding and lots of expo) and a neutral cg. Once you have that figured out, then 3 point, or tail first harrier spot landings at your feet will be the only way you will want to land.
This is how full size planes land, never a flat landing but always with the nose up
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Last edited by rcfisherman; Feb 05, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:38 PM
Registered User
BlinkguY's Avatar
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,693 Posts
ive seen that before.. pretty cool.. but takes a lot of practice
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:39 PM
Registered User
BlinkguY's Avatar
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,693 Posts
thats way i bought the yak 54 epp from hk.. to practices harrier and harrier landings
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:01 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
RCAV8T0R's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
523 Posts
Still Workin' the Kinks Out...

...of this bird so I'm being patient......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfisherman View Post
I think the best way to land is to first fly with the SFGs. They not only add rudder authority but also greatly increase high alpha stability (i.e. really really benign stalling behavior - no tip stalls).
rcfisherman,
I started out flying the MFX with the SFG's on, not the stock ones but some stiff hobby foam ones that were cheap, easy to make & easy to replace. I didn't use the stock ones for fear of damaging them since I wasn't exactly sure about the landings with the MFX & that turned out to be for good reason. I may put either the custom foam or OEM SFG's back on but not until I'm satisfied I've got her in good flying condition & I can land her without too many problems......

Quote:
Then practice harrier flying. You will need max 3d throws (max physical deflection without binding and lots of expo) and a neutral cg. Once you have that figured out, then 3 point, or tail first harrier spot landings at your feet will be the only way you will want to land.
Don't think (my) MFX in stock form could take very many good harrier landings on pavement, let alone ANY bad ones... The LG is/was very weak & ripped out on what I would call a "routine" landing. This is a common, well-documented problem on many E-flite ships, one that I have plenty of experience with......

I will & I do practice harriers & elevators with most all of my "3D" ships, especially on my TechOne EPO Katana, so I can build up my skills, muscle memory & confidence for the MFX... Just haven't got the nerve to try many "harrier-type" landings yet unless there's a good head wind helping me out......

Quote:
This is how full size planes land, never a flat landing but always with the nose up
I don't have much difficulty landing my other ships, except for say my lil' Cosmic Wind because she doesn't want to return to terra firma either, just like the MFX. I know it's all about practice, practice & more practice. Time to break out the simulator...again...& start getting used to doing it virtually first. Now, if I could only find the time in between the Fly, Crash, Fix & Repeat cycle I've been having lately I'd be in pretty good shape.........
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 04:09 PM
Registered User
BlinkguY's Avatar
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,693 Posts
guys what do you think of the knife edge on this one.. im still trying to figure it out but always wants to pull inside and there goes the knife edge... i have good servos so thats not the proble,.. for some reason is not that easy.. i can do better knife edges on my parkzone t-28.. i have never tried with the side force generators.. heard somebody telling me he lost a plane due to a landing cross wind and the SFG pulled the plane to one side..
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 06:24 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
guys what do you think of the knife edge on this one.. im still trying to figure it out but always wants to pull inside and there goes the knife edge... i have good servos so thats not the proble,.. for some reason is not that easy.. i can do better knife edges on my parkzone t-28.. i have never tried with the side force generators.. heard somebody telling me he lost a plane due to a landing cross wind and the SFG pulled the plane to one side..
the SFGs will make knife edge easier due to the increased rudder authority.
as for the rudder/elevator coupling, you can mix that out with a computer radio (rudder to up elevator mix) but it would have to be done on a trail and error basis since every plane is setup slightly different.
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:14 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
habitforming's Avatar
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Agree with rcfisherman, plus cg location will influence the coupling, so play with that as well. I ended up still using a mix though

Also, sfg's can be removed in a minute, so if you're dealing with too much cross wind, just take them off for that session.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:21 PM
Registered User
BlinkguY's Avatar
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
Agree with rcfisherman, plus cg location will influence the coupling, so play with that as well. I ended up still using a mix though

Also, sfg's can be removed in a minute, so if you're dealing with too much cross wind, just take them off for that session.

Thanks a lot fisher and habit!!! It seems im gonna have something new to play with my dx8 never used that feature before... ANd yes.. It can be removed very easy... I feel so silly now i could not figure that out
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:53 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
RCAV8T0R's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
523 Posts
MFX Can Do...

... a lot......

Been flying the MFX more & more these days since I've worked through the issues I've had with her. Even flying her in breezy conditions nowadays. It's no problem flying her in the wind, it's just the landing that's a bit tricky for me still. I'm practicing harriers so I'm hoping to get the nerve up to try those at just above ground level for HA landings instead of conventional approaches......

I guess it needs to be a blend of a standard approach, pull elevator to slow her down, & then add throttle to get her to hang through the ground effects. Any expert tips from the MFX here are welcome... Just can't quite make that (huge for me) next step yet. Time to try them out on the sim first to get a (virtual) feel for these first & then practice them on the foam Tech One Katana I have in real time next...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:05 PM
Registered User
pgoelz's Avatar
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
I guess it needs to be a blend of a standard approach, pull elevator to slow her down, & then add throttle to get her to hang through the ground effects. Any expert tips from the MFX here are welcome... Just can't quite make that (huge for me) next step yet. Time to try them out on the sim first to get a (virtual) feel for these first & then practice them on the foam Tech One Katana I have in real time next...
While you could Harrier it down to a landing, I don't think that is the best way to land the MFx. And definitely not in any crosswind.

I find mine lands very easily and conventionally..... until you flare for touchdown. At that point, it tends to stall just before touchdown and drops the last 3-6 inches to the ground. If I am flying into any kind of wind, I just land conventionally and try not to flare excessively. I touch down prior to the stall and the headwind keeps the ground speed very reasonable.

Ditto for crosswind landings.

On calm days, I add a small amount of flaps. The added flaps eliminates the stall as you flare and she floats down beautifully and lands at a very reasonable ground speed.

Unless you have upgraded the stock landing gear / attachment points, without flaps it is a somewhat fine line between so slow that she stalls and so fast that a bumpy field damages the gear.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:53 PM
Registered User
BlinkguY's Avatar
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
... a lot......

Been flying the MFX more & more these days since I've worked through the issues I've had with her. Even flying her in breezy conditions nowadays. It's no problem flying her in the wind, it's just the landing that's a bit tricky for me still. I'm practicing harriers so I'm hoping to get the nerve up to try those at just above ground level for HA landings instead of conventional approaches.....

I guess it needs to be a blend of a standard approach, pull elevator to slow her down, & then add throttle to get her to hang through the ground effects. Any expert tips from the MFX here are welcome... Just can't quite make that (huge for me) next step yet. Time to try them out on the sim first to get a (virtual) feel for these first & then practice them on the foam Tech One Katana I have in real time next...

Dont worry man... Keep practicing.... My first few flights were actually heart stopping to me since this is my first kind of 3d plane.... And now after lets say maybe 12-15 more flights and really confident to fly even on high winds conditions since its realle easy to land with 10mph front wind. And no wind. Landings were really bad until i got the feel of when and how much to flare... Since like everybody knows if you flare to much and too high you better go full power of LG will be off the plane... Just keep practicing until the point you dony feel like j was feeling the first 6 flights " why in the world did I purchase this plane, this is too much for me to land"
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:43 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
RCAV8T0R's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
523 Posts
What Goes Up...

...doesn't always come back down the same way or with same number of pieces.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
Dont worry man... Keep practicing.... My first few flights were actually heart stopping to me since this is my first kind of 3d plane.... And now after lets say maybe 12-15 more flights and really confident to fly even on high winds conditions since its realle easy to land with 10mph front wind. And no wind. Landings were really bad until i got the feel of when and how much to flare... Since like everybody knows if you flare to much and too high you better go full power of LG will be off the plane... Just keep practicing until the point you dony feel like j was feeling the first 6 flights " why in the world did I purchase this plane, this is too much for me to land"
Hey BlinkguY,
Glad to hear you're having success with your MFX. I'm liking mine more now. I've softened up the elevator controls so it's not as twitchy anymore. Still have some ballooning but that's just me over-correcting for not keeping a constant angle of descent. Gets a little hairy sometimes when you're flying her down to the ground & when the turbulence starts kickin' in throwing her all over the place since she's so small & light......
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:50 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
RCAV8T0R's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
523 Posts
Good Tips for Required Landings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
While you could Harrier it down to a landing, I don't think that is the best way to land the MFx. And definitely not in any crosswind.

I find mine lands very easily and conventionally..... until you flare for touchdown. At that point, it tends to stall just before touchdown and drops the last 3-6 inches to the ground. If I am flying into any kind of wind, I just land conventionally and try not to flare excessively. I touch down prior to the stall and the headwind keeps the ground speed very reasonable.

Ditto for crosswind landings.

On calm days, I add a small amount of flaps. The added flaps eliminates the stall as you flare and she floats down beautifully and lands at a very reasonable ground speed.

Unless you have upgraded the stock landing gear / attachment points, without flaps it is a somewhat fine line between so slow that she stalls and so fast that a bumpy field damages the gear.

Paul
...so thanks for sharing those since landings aren't optional......

Paul,
I do have flaps programmed on mine also. Just forget to use them most of the time. Gear already ripped out of mine & I've reinforced that part entirely so no worries there, except for that rinky-dink tail wheel. I'll stick with conventional landings until I feel I'm ready to try something more advanced...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 04:57 PM
Registered User
BlinkguY's Avatar
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,693 Posts
Thanka bro.. Hey.. Is it really a good idea to program flaps on it?
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:13 PM
Registered User
pgoelz's Avatar
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
Thanka bro.. Hey.. Is it really a good idea to program flaps on it?
It is perfectly flyable without flaps, but it is a lot more fun with them. Partial flaps make for more gentle landings. Fully extended flaps make for some REALLY slow flight and floaty landings in calmer conditions. If you have a gentle breeze down the runway, you can land at nearly zero ground speed if you control your descent with a small amount of power.

I haven't tried programming elevator to flap mixes, but that might make for some really snappy maneuvers

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New MINI E3D from Gary Wright - Build and Fly Harley Sport Planes 792 Oct 05, 2009 07:12 PM
Poll New Warbird offering from E-Flite Tommy D Electric Warbirds 35 Jun 05, 2006 10:46 AM
New Cessna 182 370 ARF from E-flite hlondono111 Electric Plane Talk 0 Oct 03, 2005 03:47 PM
Yippee! New Ultimate from E Flite!!! marshallcowboy Electric Plane Talk 0 Jul 18, 2005 10:14 PM