SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:35 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,745 Posts
i know the what the f... feeling when landing.. i always get nervous landing this thing. last time i landed i did really good.. you know the trick, have plenty of space come down pulling up a little with speed and try to keep the glide down with the wings level without cutting throttle at all. and it was fine.. but landing with too much wind? not at all.. no more thab 5-8 Mph.. but yes. she is fun to fly but you got to be extremely careful landing with wind.. calm conditions are a breeze to do though
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:48 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
I no longer have my MFX but years ago I picked up a landing tip from someone on here. There are two ways of doing it, but the idea is the same.

You want to have a couple clicks of down trim (yes I typed that right!) when you are on final approach. Either manually click it each time, but remember to undo it before your next flight (option 1), or setup a flight mode that has the associated trim built in (option 2).

As the stall is so sudden in this airplane, flaring quickly becomes expensive. As with some other highly aerobatic airplanes, it is safer/easier to land while still flying. Keep a small amount of power on, fly down to the runway, touch first on the mains, reduce power, allow the tail to settle. Of course this all must be done gradually & gently.

It will take a little getting used to, but you'll probably find your landings to be much less expensive this way. Also, remember you can setup dual rates (or use flight modes) to greatly reduce control travel for landing. A touchy elevator makes it tricky.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:43 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
525 Posts
Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
I no longer have my MFX but years ago I picked up a landing tip from someone on here. There are two ways of doing it, but the idea is the same.

You want to have a couple clicks of down trim (yes I typed that right!) when you are on final approach. Either manually click it each time, but remember to undo it before your next flight (option 1), or setup a flight mode that has the associated trim built in (option 2).

As the stall is so sudden in this airplane, flaring quickly becomes expensive. As with some other highly aerobatic airplanes, it is safer/easier to land while still flying. Keep a small amount of power on, fly down to the runway, touch first on the mains, reduce power, allow the tail to settle. Of course this all must be done gradually & gently.

It will take a little getting used to, but you'll probably find your landings to be much less expensive this way. Also, remember you can setup dual rates (or use flight modes) to greatly reduce control travel for landing. A touchy elevator makes it tricky.
...advice you've posted...

habitforming,
Nice screen name you got there, by the way...

I agree 110% about the MFX falling out of the sky & all of the sudden... Had that happen when bringing her in for landings after setting her up too tail heavy. Plus, I've dropped her after putting her into a non-recoverable spin at low altitude because of this incorrect CG... Should've been at least two mistakes higher, though & I probably could've saved it......

I was getting more comfortable using the 'fly her to the ground technique' but I must've flared her just a bit too high off the deck & that's when the gear buckled. Could've been the straw that broke the camel's back, too from previous mishaps... Luckily for me, theses damages haven't been that extensive, nor expensive, at least not yet so I'm knockin' on wood right now... And, I've been able to undertake & complete the repairs myself on this & most all of ships, either foam or balsa. Of course, this doesn't take into account a number of foam ships I've destroyed over time that ended up being donated to the local landfill.........

She's a bit finicky but I'm hoping I can start working on my Tx settings to get them dialed in for the way I want to fly her. All in all, she's an exciting ship to fly & I haven't seen any at the local clubs that I'm a member of so she does attract attention at the fields......

Thanks for the input. Really helps us newer MFX pilots & gives us some ideas of how to handle her in that most critical activity called LANDING...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:14 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
525 Posts
Can't See It...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
pictures bro. pictures!!!!
...from my house...wait a minute..I can 'cause it's in my house......

BlinkguY,
I had some time last night after work, after taking care of the kids, cooking dinner & cleaning up afterwards to get out to the hangar & take some shots of my repaired MFX......

There are some photos that make the repair look better than it actually is but I specifically posted one that showed the reality of my limited experience in working with plastic covering on this complex shape of the MFX fuse... In retrospect, I shouldn't have wrapped the covering onto & over the beveled edges of the fuse, just on the flat bottom itself. Would've come out much cleaner if I didn't... But I did, it's done & I'm not in any hurry to redo it anytime soon......

I'll say this though, after reworking the ripped out gear on my E-flite Diamante & MUS, I'm feeling much more confident about my lil' MFX as these two (cleaner) repairs are both holding up extremely well... I'm betting she'll handle some serious & repeated landing abuse & I'm lookin' forward to dishing it out.........
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Jan 30, 2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,745 Posts
bro. it looks great man!!! give your self a break!! its really nice, dont worry about the covering.. covering wont handle landing abuse

great job brother!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:49 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
525 Posts
Quote:
bro. it looks great man!!! give your self a break!! its really nice, dont worry about the covering.. covering wont handle landing abuse

great job brother!
BlinkguY,
Thanks for the words of encouragement... I'm always trying for an OEM, or even better, outcome but this was somewhat of a first for me for this type of partial fuse recovering. Definitely wasn't an easy task (for me), either. Seems this covering work is more of an art-form that takes time to develop the necessary skills to be any good at it... Overall, I can live the final results on this ship since I really want to get her off the ground again & keep her in one piece for more than just a few intermittent flights every now & then...
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:59 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
525 Posts
Maiden Voyages...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
...Overall, I can live the final results on this ship since I really want to get her off the ground again & keep her in one piece for more than just a few intermittent flights every now & then...
...keep rolling along... Finally, flew her again today with a heck of a lot more success......

Well, after the rework & rather extensive Tx programming changes, I got this lil' MFX up & down safely...three more times... Didn't do much other than fly around doing mild aerobatics, snaps, flying inverted & retrimming her. Mostly tested out the basics after completing the repairs along with making significant changes to the D/R & Expo on the elevator... Made a much needed elevator mod but more on that later...

All I can say is this plane is (still) VERY pitch sensitive... Even with minimal elevator deflection, & I'm talking about 5 degrees, she wants to really shoot up & down. I know it's me so I'm not blaming the plane...at least not yet anyway... Still working on the CG but at least this time I set her up nose heavy so she behaved better for me. Slowly worked the CG back to a neutral setting with my 4S setup & almost got it towards the end of the third flight. Played it a bit safe but she lives to fly another day & the landings weren't all that bad, either.........

Starting to get slightly more comfortable flying her now since I had some successful flights with her today. Next up, dialing up the dual & triple rates to practice high alpha maneuvers & other fun stuff...
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:34 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,550 Posts
To help mine with landing, I mixed 2 of down elevator to zero throttle and it worked great.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:00 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
525 Posts
Mixing It Up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
To help mine with landing, I mixed 2 of down elevator to zero throttle and it worked great.

Chuck
...sounds like a good idea...

Chuck,
Thanks for the tip. Keeping that downward glide angle at the correct speed is essential on this twitchy lil' ship......

I'm still in the process of figuring my MFX out so I even went ahead & programmed flaperons on her as well to find out what that might do. I deployed them during slower, normal flight to see what happened & it really wasn't affected all that much. However, I didn't use full deflection, either since I wasn't sure how'd she react... She did slow down & I even guessed right on the FL/EL mix by adding a couple of degrees of up as she stayed level when the ailerons dropped. Got lucky there but there was a pretty strong headwind yesterday so I didn't end up using them for any of the landings but they're at ready if I want to use them......

Still have more Tx work to do & just flying her more to get used to her VERY responsive pitch authority...
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:37 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,550 Posts
And to help on those days when you just can't get the landings greased, I drilled another hole thru the LG and mounting plate and put in 3 #6 nylon bolts and nuts. In a less than perfect landing they would just shear off and not rip out the mount.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:10 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
525 Posts
What the "Hack"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
Made a much needed elevator mod but more on that later...
...happened...... Got some more details & photos to post here about another problem I discovered with my MFX over the weekend......

Either I didn't glue the OEM elevator joiner wire in correctly, it failed to stay in place, or both... I was getting ready to (basically) remaiden her when I discovered that the elevator halves did not move up & down evenly throughout the range of motion. In fact at the extremes, the half minus the control horn was off by over 1/4" in deflection compared to the other side... Obviously, this isn't good for any type of flying, aerobatic, precision, 3D or otherwise......

She's had a rough start so it could've been any number of hard hits & abuse she's taken that might've caused this... So, being that she's far from OEM these days..., I did what I thought would work & so far so good......
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,745 Posts
great idea
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:35 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
525 Posts
Keepin' the MFX...

Quote:
great idea
...airworthy & as part of the hangar no matter what it takes right now......

Thanks BlinkguY... I'm sure there are other, less drastic ways to fix this but I really didn't want to cut the elevator off & start from scratch by doing that either...
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Feb 05, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:43 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Hi RCAv

Earlier you mentioned how pitch sensitive this bird is (which I do agree with). Having just looked at the elevator deflection in your repair pics, it looks like you have drastically more than I flew with. Pic looks like 55-60, I wouldn't say I ever had more than 45, though I think they measured it in inches. You may want to double check and dial back some of the elevator travel.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:23 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
525 Posts
Looks Can Be Deceiving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
Hi RCAv

Earlier you mentioned how pitch sensitive this bird is (which I do agree with). Having just looked at the elevator deflection in your repair pics, it looks like you have drastically more than I flew with. Pic looks like 55-60, I wouldn't say I ever had more than 45, though I think they measured it in inches. You may want to double check and dial back some of the elevator travel.
...in those photos since it was depicting maximum attainable deflection at the point of the CF splint interference with the fuse, either up or down......

Hey habit,
Good point. I didn't have my transmitter on when I shot those photos. That could be giving the wrong impression of how much deflection there actually is that's been programmed in for low, mid & high rates on the Airtronics SD-10G system I'm using......

I'll be sure to check my high rates & then dial them down a bit if necessary, even though I've never even used that setting yet. For the most part I'm only using low rates & then switching to mid rates for the slower, post stall maneuvers. Even so, that's only been used very sparingly due to all the other issues I've had with her......

Still in the process of getting her dialed in so thanks for the input...