HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
2,052 Posts
Hi guys. i want to learn this thing of 3d flying.. i already have a super cub, apprentice, mentor and a trojan.... Eflite and parkzone. my question is.. will i be able to fly this thing without crashing it just on take off? i know no body can tell me... but the thing is i just want to know if it is very difficult to fly even on low rates set up.. thanks!
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:34 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
550 Posts
Going Beyond the Basics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY View Post
Hi guys. i want to learn this thing of 3d flying.. i already have a super cub, apprentice, mentor and a trojan.... Eflite and parkzone. my question is.. will i be able to fly this thing without crashing it just on take off? i know no body can tell me... but the thing is i just want to know if it is very difficult to fly even on low rates set up.. thanks!
Sure, no problem. If you can bring all your planes back down safely & in one piece you "shouldn't" have any issues. As far as crashing on take-off goes, just be sure you truly are on low rates, have dialed in a lot of Expo & you've set up your MFX up at the forward end of the recommended CG range, maybe even a little bit more.

Don't jam the sticks either, meaning be smooth & light on the controls but at the same keep the power on so you can climb up to safe altitude to get used to her flight characteristics. Landing is another matter. She'll float in for what seems like an eternity so set up your final a little further out. Best advice is to fly her to the ground, keeping "enough" power on & then flare her into submission, I mean onto the gear. Having a slightly forward CG will help a lot when it's time to return to solid ground.

Later on, you can bring her in a high angle of attack (alpha) with the power on, then ease off the throttle & you can plop down her with hardly any roll out. I've done it but there was a good headwind so that made it even easier to do (for me)....
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,052 Posts
Ok man thanks a lot for your recomendation.... My last question is:e are the low rates on the manual and expo recommendation sure fine for a 3d plane rookie like me?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:48 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
550 Posts
Keep 'Em Low & Slow...

Quote:
Ok man thanks a lot for your recomendation.... My last question is:e are the low rates on the manual and expo recommendation sure fine for a 3d plane rookie like me?
No worries BlinkguY. Glad I could help you out...

Going by the manual is always a good starting point for the D/R, EPA & measured throws & it's what I did. The amount of Expo you wish to program is a matter of personal preference & about how much you need to either lessen or exaggerate the movement of the control surfaces...

Most 3D planes are actually very good sport planes only they're designed to do more aggressive aerobatics & post stall (3D) maneuvers than "typical" sport planes so don't be too intimidated by that designation. They can get you (in &) out of trouble easier as they can respond extremely quickly to control & power inputs. In my opinion, scale planes are that ones that might give someone not familiar with scale flight more cause for worry than 3D ships should...

Good luck on your first flight...
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Sep 14, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Nov 2005
2,052 Posts
Thanks a lot again RC im buying it right now i do have a park 480 from HK AND the plush 40 amps esc ftom them too... No i only need two more servos and the prop
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:55 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
550 Posts
MFX Build Items...

Quote:
Thanks a lot again RC im buying it right now i do have a park 480 from HK AND the plush 40 amps esc ftom them too... No i only need two more servos and the prop
BlinkguY,

I was being somewhat cost conscious so I've got the Turnigy Park 480 1020kv motor from Hobbyking, a Dynam 40A ESC with BEC from Hobbypartz, a 12x6E APC prop installed & I'm using Blue Lipo 3S 25C 2200mAh packs in my MFX following the specs in the manual. This is a lighter weight set up than I would normally use when outfitting my ARF's but I wanted to give it a try in order to keep (some of) the weight down for this ship.

I do have a pilot bust & (4) larger, heavier 14G metal gear servos for all surfaces so that adds weight back to the airframe. The recommended E-flite S75 servos I tried for the rather large ailerons didn't cut it at all. They fluttered wildly as soon as they were energized... It was like watching a humming bird flap its wings. Never saw that before. Luckily, I found this out during assembly & not up in the air. Otherwise, this would've been a major problem if it happened after she was airborne, especially on the maiden voyage...

So far everything works well but I'm about ready to replace the motor with a larger 10- or 15-sized one using 4S 25C 1800mAh packs. Should go ballistic with this set up. Just gotta find the time & desire to rip into her & make these changes now that she's all built up. Gonna fly her as is for now since I haven't got too much stick time nor enough flights on her to render an opinion as to whether or not this is really necessary for my flying style. But like they say, it's better to have too much power than not enough. We'll see...
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
BlinkguY,

I was being somewhat cost conscious so I've got the Turnigy Park 480 1020kv motor from Hobbyking, a Dynam 40A ESC with BEC from Hobbypartz, a 12x6E APC prop installed & I'm using Blue Lipo 3S 25C 2200mAh packs in my MFX following the specs in the manual. This is a lighter weight set up than I would normally use when outfitting my ARF's but I wanted to give it a try in order to keep (some of) the weight down for this ship.

I do have a pilot bust & (4) larger, heavier 14G metal gear servos for all surfaces so that adds weight back to the airframe. The recommended E-flite S75 servos I tried for the rather large ailerons didn't cut it at all. They fluttered wildly as soon as they were energized... It was like watching a humming bird flap its wings. Never saw that before. Luckily, I found this out during assembly & not up in the air. Otherwise, this would've been a major problem if it happened after she was airborne, especially on the maiden voyage...

So far everything works well but I'm about ready to replace the motor with a larger 10- or 15-sized one using 4S 25C 1800mAh packs. Should go ballistic with this set up. Just gotta find the time & desire to rip into her & make these changes now that she's all built up. Gonna fly her as is for now since I haven't got too much stick time nor enough flights on her to render an opinion as to whether or not this is really necessary for my flying style. But like they say, it's better to have too much power than not enough. We'll see...

that sound really good man! but since i got my motor and esc already.. i think ill save some money anyway, lie you say before, you might end up with the same set up since you are still trying to learn her anyway...

hows the power with that one set up you got? can you do really nice vertical?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:23 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
550 Posts
Vertical Authority On Scene...

Quote:
hows the power with that one set up you got? can you do really nice vertical?
Vertical performance is quite good when flying at speed with the Park 480. From a hover it's OK, but not great nor what I was expecting. She'll put out of one but not with a lot of authority. She also develops quite a bit of wing rock that causes it to fall out as well. I'm thinking a more powerful motor just might be the ticket to help remedy these conditions but it could just be the design of the airframe, or just my fledgling 3D pilot skills...
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,052 Posts
Quote:
Vertical performance is quite good when flying at speed with the Park 480. From a hover it's OK, but not great nor what I was expecting. She'll put out of one but not with a lot of authority. She also develops quite a bit of wing rock that causes it to fall out as well. I'm thinking a more powerful motor just might be the ticket to help remedy these conditions but it could just be the design of the airframe, or just my fledgling 3D pilot skills...

hahahahaha i think the reason is the last one!! dont worry ill teach you when i learn hehehehe!!! do you gave any videos on youtube or anything?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:19 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
550 Posts
She Ain't New Anymore...

Quote:
...I'm thinking a more powerful motor just might be the ticket...
...now that I put her on the ground last time out... Got a little too overconfident last outing & over-controlled her & nosed her into the ground. One thing's for sure, she's "broken" in now...

Just replaced the motor with a Power 10 using 4S 1800 mAh packs, too. Second flight was the culprit. First one was great, really liked the performance gains using the larger motor. It was just a bit nose heavy with the battery against the spar so I improvised & made a foam battery spacer for the next flight to get the 4S pack over the spar. Worked great until I decided to fly too low without being at least two mistakes high. Totally my fault, should've kept her higher...

The bad: broke one main wing rib & pulled out the the tee-nut, broke the motor mount, cracked the fuselage where the wings pulled apart at the spring-loaded fillets, cracked the fiberglass cowling & bent the 4mm motor shaft. Actually, it's motor & mount that took the brunt of the impact that saved the rest of the airframe so I'm considering myself lucky that she wasn't a total loss...

The good: she's back together again & I'm ready to wring her out some more. Just waiting on the replacement shaft to come in the mail. I'm looking on the positive side now that since she's no longer a beauty queen I won't be as tentative when I fly the snot out of her next time!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,052 Posts
hey bro.. can you tell me what hobbyking servos are you using on your bird? im going to order them and was looking for it and no luck
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:56 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
550 Posts
(See below)
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Oct 17, 2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: duplicate post...
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:56 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
550 Posts
Servo Info PM Sent...

Quote:
hey bro.. can you tell me what hobbyking servos are you using on your bird? im going to order them and was looking for it and no luck
Got your PM & sent you one back...
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:05 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
550 Posts
MFX Battery Bay for Power 10...

BlinkguY,

Got around to posting some photos of the battery bay for you...

You'll notice I added 1/32" ply plates for the electronics, ESC, Rx & Lipo, that aren't part of the kit. I did this based on my previous ARF experience so I could put the electronics in different places based on the selected power train setup at the time of assembly & to allow for any future changes. This came in handy recently...

You can see that I had the ESC mounted forward before but moved it aft to compensate for the slightly heavier 10-sized motor along with the 4S 1800mAh 20C packs I'm using in her now. The 'C' rating is important also. "Usually," the higher the C rating, the heavier the pack. There are exceptions to this, like nano-tech's, & a higher rating is desirable for better full-throttle performance. However, (for me) with the 10 motor & 12x6E prop, 20C is plenty strong enough & I'm getting about 6'-30" of flight time with this combo...

So, after installing the 10 motor, moving the ESC towards the rear & using the 4S 20C packs, I'm able to get her balanced without having the battery pushed up against the wing tube, or worse, any part of it over top of the tube. Just be aware your setup will be different but the hope is to not have to add any ballast, either in the nose or in the tail, to get her to balance out per the spec's.

Now, the total weight of the plane is another matter. I prefer power over weight for all my ships & "that's my story & I'm stickin' to it..."
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,052 Posts
man.. im in love with this plane and dont even have it yet

thanks for the time and for the pictures, i will keep everything you told me in mind before getting her airborne.... its better when you have an idea when you are flying this kind of plane for the first time, before you go all out.. thanks again for taking the time for the picture..