HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:05 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1 View Post
Ive read this thread and how others have a hard time doing a knife edge without the SFG's.
What a marvelous plane this is. Its possible they have changed the kit because i can knife edge at 3/4 throttle without the SFG's on. Im running digital strong servos and have all the throw on the rudder it can take. At full throttle knife edge, I can turn it up on its side and bring it over the top. Ill bet the reason some cant knife edge is the servo power....its definately not the plane.
This plane is very predictable and fun...easy to land....Ive got 8 flights on it and so far and the digital servos really sling this puppy around.
I took out the Power HD digital on the rudder and put in a HXT900. I put 4 flights on that today. With the HXT900, it doesnt have the holding authority of the digital...the knife edge was falling off.
I always wondered about that... nice to finally have some confirmation. Thanks for the info!
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:28 AM
I'm givin er all she's got!
USA, IL, Calumet City
Joined May 2003
46 Posts
How Cheap can I get a Mini Funtana X in the air?

O.K., this is going to generate a lot of negative responses, but I'm sure all will be curious as to how she preforms.

What I have ordered...
Thunderbird 36 ESC
Optima 480 BM - @ $17.70 http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m21-opti...10-1020kv.html
7g Sub-Micro Servo - Package of 2 for $3.40!!! That's $6.80 for 4! I ordered 6 in case of of DOA's http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1002.html
The ESC I already have...
RX is a $20 Crystal-less that I have used on other aircraft... http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...5&pid=C0365463
The motor specs are approx the same as the Park 480
The servo specs (if I remember correctly) fal between the 55 and 65

Should be together in about a week, any suggestions for Red Flags I should look for BEFORE launching this?
-Bill-
drydock is offline Find More Posts by drydock
Last edited by drydock; Jul 24, 2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: omission
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:34 AM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drydock View Post
Red Flags I should look for BEFORE launching this?
-Bill-
Servos are 3.40 a pair.
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:43 AM
USA, IL, Calumet City
Joined May 2003
46 Posts
Well taken, believe me if I have doubts after holding the arms and actuating them it won't maiden. Know of a better test?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:58 AM
USA, IL, Calumet City
Joined May 2003
46 Posts
Hmmm

I have one of the 2/$3.40 servos that I broke the wires on by accident and thought I would see how strong the gears are. What I did was installed a long control arm on it and cranked it by hand as fast as I could. It stripped right out! Would a higher quality servo fare better or is this just a good way of destroying ANY servo?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:13 AM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,517 Posts
Anyone got an extra set of wings? I did the prettiest Knife Edge spin and got too close to the ground. Both wings are damaged at the tips. I may try to fix it, but if someone has wings, I might get em.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shipped Super Viper today
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:46 AM
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drydock View Post
I have one of the 2/$3.40 servos that I broke the wires on by accident and thought I would see how strong the gears are. What I did was installed a long control arm on it and cranked it by hand as fast as I could. It stripped right out! Would a higher quality servo fare better or is this just a good way of destroying ANY servo?
You would destroy any servo without metal gears that you would use in this plane with that test.
I'm all for getting a plane in the air for cheap but servos are the last thing I want going out. They are the last link between you controlling your plane or not.
I used to set up all my planes with CC Phoenix esc/Thunderpower lipo/Eflight motors/Hitec servos. Not having the same hobby budget I now use CC Thunderbird/Flightmax/Turnigy/hitec in most of my setups.
I have a few Turnigy servos I purchased from HK that are going in a flat foamy warbird to test, I'm not against a low cost servo but I wouldn't trust my Funtan to them' I would use them in other low value projects. I don't want to be a complete downer so I would suggest looking at the HXT900 servo from HK. That would be my budget servo of choice for a plane at this level, many report good things about them. Good luck with the build and let us know how it goes!
IH8VTEC is offline Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:20 AM
USA, IL, Calumet City
Joined May 2003
46 Posts
Hxt900

I was checking out the HXT900's they seem to be at a scary low-cost too. I think I'll take your advise on the HXT900's and order them but I think we both know I'll prob try the first servos to arrive! I'll just take it REAL easy on the cheapo's...
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:08 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
I have HXT900's in several of my planes (Mini Funtana X included) and they have performed really well so far. They will strip faily easy in case of a crash, but other than that I think they're great.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Jul 25, 2010, 03:26 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Nov 2009
222 Posts
I started out with the suggested EFlite S-75 servos in my mini-FuntanaX... They worked "ok", but they were really too weak for much more than basic aerobatics. The servo on the rudder would not hold knife edge. I could SEE the rudder blow back. On a lark, I swapped in four HXT900s and I've been quite happy with them. The plane snap rolls more crisply, pops right up into a "wall", and knife edges from "horizon" to "horizon"... :-) We'll see how they hold up over time.

Happy landings
str8wing is offline Find More Posts by str8wing
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:20 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8wing View Post
I started out with the suggested EFlite S-75 servos in my mini-FuntanaX... They worked "ok", but they were really too weak for much more than basic aerobatics. The servo on the rudder would not hold knife edge. I could SEE the rudder blow back. On a lark, I swapped in four HXT900s and I've been quite happy with them. The plane snap rolls more crisply, pops right up into a "wall", and knife edges from "horizon" to "horizon"... :-) We'll see how they hold up over time.

Happy landings
What I found out to. I switched to HS-65kb, very fast, smooth. Also hold the centers. I was constantly trimming with the HXT900. On a couple I haven't touched a trim in a couple dozen flights.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 01, 2010, 09:28 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,653 Posts
The HS-65 is the perfect servo for this plane. I do like the 9gm HXT though and the price is right on time
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Oct 03, 2010, 07:53 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,653 Posts
I gotta boo boo
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Oct 03, 2010, 12:23 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005