HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2001, 10:39 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,933 Posts
Reversing a brushless motor

Also posted under ducted fans.....
Well I'm taking my 1406/2Y out of my fan as it's just sitting with no airplane to fit into, and I'm going to fit it into a Modeltech EX300S ARF with a gearbox. Besided the retiming, I have to reverse the motor. I think I've read that you just have to switch two of the three wires, and that it doesn't matter which two. Is this correct? I'm using the Aveox L260 controller so it's sensored.
Ed Waldrep is online now Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2001, 11:55 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Aveox have the manual for their controllers available for download from their site.

I dont know whats required for a sensored system to be reversed. Spoiled by SL systems On a SL system you swap either two out of the three leads to reverse it or switch to reverse mode on the controller.

Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Jul 09, 2001, 03:08 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Changing the switch setting as Ed instructed will reverse the motor, but it will also need to be retimed. These motors and controllers use sensors to indicate rotor position, so timing is adjustable. The following is from the Aveox website for instructions on re-timing:

-----------------------------------
"Motor Timing Adjustments

One of the most common questions that we get is about how to adjust the timing of the motors. Timing adjustments are very simple.

First, you find the neutral timing point for your motor. We sell a shunt kit that allows you to use your voltmeter as an ampmeter.

With the controller configured for the proper direction of rotation, adjust the rear end bell until you have the lowest current draw.

Now advance the timing by turning the rear end bell in the opposite direction that the motor is turning. This is exactly like a brushed motor.

Remember, that if you change the direction of the motor, you must reset the timing. If the motor is run in reverse with the timing set for forward, the timing will be very retarded, which can destroy the controller. The timing can be advanced up to twice the no load current. The larger motors, like the 1817/2Y motor on 27 cells should be advanced to about 5 amps no load. The F5D Pylon should be advanced to 8.0-8.5A No Load, and the
F7LMR Motor should be advanced to 6.0-8.0 A No Load. Other motors are usually set between 1.5, and 1.75 times the lowest no load current.

If you need advice on setting up your motor for a specific application, feel free to call us."
--------------------------
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Jul 10, 2001, 12:19 AM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
Ed,
No, no, no .....don't reverse the wires !! On the back of the controller there are 4 dip switches. The #1 dip switch is set to ON for forward rotation. Just switch it to OFF to run in reverse.
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly